Author Topic: Thomas Martin  (Read 978 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Martin
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt
Looking at that BT of the marriage in 1690 it seems to say Anne Packham widd?
Sussex Marriage Index
15 June 1690, Fletching
Jas Marten + Ann Packham wid

John

Hi John

Can  you send me a link to that website or to the marriage entry on the PRs or BTs? I may be looking at an old copy of my Martin and Packham tree notes.

I'll double check my list of source notes to see what else I have on Anne in case I have mixed her up with someone else.

Matt

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
Parish Register here, This is the one that has been partially eaten by something, but it's OK, our marriage is the very last one, bottom right
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DYLH-GD9?i=129&cat=215426

Fletching BT we have too
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DYQF-FR?cat=583952

If Ann was a widow it might kind of explain only the one child with James Martin. He might be a bit older than anticipated as well.
John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
Parish Register here, This is the one that has been partially eaten by something, but it's OK, our marriage is the very last one, bottom right
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DYLH-GD9?i=129&cat=215426

Fletching BT we have too
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DYQF-FR?cat=583952

If Ann was a widow it might kind of explain only the one child with James Martin. He might be a bit older than anticipated as well.
John

Hi John

Many thanks for those. I know there is a Robert Packham who married Anne Durrant in Buxted in January 1666/67. So far I have only found two children for this marriage

Henry Packham christened 14 November 1668 at Fletching
Mary Packham christened 21 May 1671 at Fletching

I did think that this Anne had died and that Robert remarried as the next "Packham" christening I have found is for that Anne Packham in August 1673 where she is described as the daughter of Robert and Mary. Could this be a different Robert?

Is there any sign of a burial for either Anne Packham [Durrant] between 1671 and 1673 or any sign of a burial for this Robert after 1671?

Do you think it's worth checking out the Durrants to see if there's any info in wills related to them?

Btw can the PR or BT for Fletching be seen on FindMyPast at all?

Matt

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt
I agree with your findings re the baptisms to Robert Packham or Peckham in Fletching.
The August 1673 baptism of Anne has Mary as mother on both the PR and the BT.
But I can't see a burial of an Ann(e) / wife of Robert since the earlier baptisms. Could it be some kind of mistake made at the time?

There is a Robert Peckham burial at Fletching, 6 Dec 1673.
BT here, date confirmed by PR
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DYQC-2M?i=117&cat=583952

Now I don't know that is the Robert Peckham (or Packham), but if there are no more baptisms after 1673 then it could well be.

The problem is that it is quite a while later in 1690 that we have the widow Ann Packham marrying. Well it seems quite a long time, but I suppose there is no reason why it shouldn't be her.
What happened to the children - are there alternative marriages for either Ann, mother and daughter?
I can't see that Fletching burials at this time are indexed anywhere online, so that's another difficulty, we have to see if we can make them out ourselves from the images we have.

Yes, I agree, it would be worthwhile looking for Durrant wills. Can't do any harm!
John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt
I agree with your findings re the baptisms to Robert Packham or Peckham in Fletching.
The August 1673 baptism of Anne has Mary as mother on both the PR and the BT.
But I can't see a burial of an Ann(e) / wife of Robert since the earlier baptisms. Could it be some kind of mistake made at the time?

There is a Robert Peckham burial at Fletching, 6 Dec 1673.
BT here, date confirmed by PR
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DYQC-2M?i=117&cat=583952

Now I don't know that is the Robert Peckham (or Packham), but if there are no more baptisms after 1673 then it could well be.

The problem is that it is quite a while later in 1690 that we have the widow Ann Packham marrying. Well it seems quite a long time, but I suppose there is no reason why it shouldn't be her.
What happened to the children - are there alternative marriages for either Ann, mother and daughter?
I can't see that Fletching burials at this time are indexed anywhere online, so that's another difficulty, we have to see if we can make them out ourselves from the images we have.

Yes, I agree, it would be worthwhile looking for Durrant wills. Can't do any harm!
John

Hi John

It looks like something is definitely odd here. As far as I know James Martin and Anne Packham only had one child - Elizabeth Martin [my ancestor] who was christened in Fletching in 1691.

Given that the PR and BT do clearly show Anne as a widow on her marriage to James Martin the question is who was she married to before?

One option is that she was the widow of Robert Packham [or Peckham]. I know that Robert married a woman named Anne Durrant in Buxted in January 1666/67 and she was the mother of the Henry and Mary Packham born in 1668 and 1671.

I have found that there is an Anne Durrant christened in Framfield in 1640 which could fit with the marriage of Anne to Robert age wise.

Framfield, Buxted and Fletching are all about 4 miles from each other so very close.

If this Anne [Anne Durrant] is the widow who married James Martin in 1690 she would be about 51 when their daughter Elizabeth was born however. Also like you say it seems strange that if Robert died in 1673, Ann would wait 17 years before remarrying.

It definitely is a mystery but I can't really see Anne Durrant being the woman who married James Martin given that she'd probably be in her late 40s or early 50s when Elizabeth Martin was born.

I had a quick look at the East Sussex website today and so far I haven't found any sign of any suitable Durrant or Packham wills in the right area and period.

I think James Martin was christened on 13 February 1666/67 at Fletching but I don't know where that information is from and I don't have his parents noted down so that may be wrong. I will check the Fletching PR and BT to see if I can spot him.

More digging required.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 May 20 01:04 BST (UK) »
I've just added a new post to see if anyone can locate a christening for James Martin.

Matt