Author Topic: Tully family vault in Godstone Surrey  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Tully family vault in Godstone Surrey
« on: Tuesday 26 May 20 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I am hoping someone from this region or with graveyard expertise, can help me.

A family note , handed down through the decades has mentioned my TULLY ancestors have a family burial "vault" in Godstone.
I have never been able to link my Tully family to any burial in Godstone via records, and Google maps indicates there is one churchyard in the township, called Saint Nicholas, on Church Road.

The only ancestors I can think who might be buried in Godstone are Benjamin TULLY (b. 1810 Ardingly, Sussex - d. 1890 Bletchingly (registered in Fulham?)) , who was a postman (and former Gamekeeper) and who lived in Sussex as well as Surrey, and his wife Ann (nee EDWARDS, formerly FRANCIS) (b. 1817 Horsham, Sussex - d. 1887 Godstone, Surrey).

Benjamin appears to have died in Bletchingly (aged 78), according to a parish burial record in 1890,  and that is only 1.6 miles from Godstone (according to Google maps).
His wife Ann died in 1887 age 70 in Godstone itself.

My question is , would Saint Nicholas Churchyard be the most logical place for the TULLY family vault?

I have searched many burial websites, including Findagrave, which has the Saint Nicholas Churchyard listed....but no Tully names appear on this or other burial search websites (that fit my family at least).

Is there a direct line of inquiry I can make to the Saint Nicholas Church itself? Or a Godstone historical library resource perhaps?

Any suggestions, tips or help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Just as a side note of interest for anyone following this family, the family note also stated that Benjamin's wife Ann was the daughter of the Earl of Lovelace; But when she married her name was "Edwards" as she had previously married a Groom, before her first child was born [presuming this to be John TULLY b. 1838).

I have not been able to prove her lineage to any Earl, and her marriage record shows her as "Ann Edwards, spinster, daughter of John Edwards".

I am none the wiser. Hence I was hoping a family vault inscription might help me along further.
Scotland: Lanark and Stirling: BARRON, LOW, RAE, BRAIDWOOD,  MILLER  
                Isle of Bute: CURRIE, BARR, SIMPSON, CRAWFORD
England: London (Hoxton/St Luke): BOOTH, FRANKLIN
               Essex: WAINWRIGHT
               Bedfordshire: DENNIS, BRAYBROOK, PEACOCK
               Sussex: TULLY, SAYERS (Surrey also)
Ireland:  (unknown region) TULLY/TULLEMORE (poss)
               Antrim: AGNEW, MONTGOMERY

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tully family vault in Godstone Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 07:36 BST (UK) »
The only ancestors I can think who might be buried in Godstone are Benjamin TULLY (b. 1810 Ardingly, Sussex - d. 1890 Bletchingly (registered in Fulham?)) , who was a postman (and former Gamekeeper) and who lived in Sussex as well as Surrey, and his wife Ann (nee EDWARDS, formerly FRANCIS) (b. 1817 Horsham, Sussex - d. 1887 Godstone, Surrey).

Both Benjamin and Ann are listed in the burial register of St Mary's Bletchingley.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 10:55 BST (UK) »
 :D
Thanks so much for that....I don't suppose you can offer more detailed info, or even a parish entry copy please?

And is there any way to confirm if St Mary's Church would have this "Tully" vault??

Many thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
The parish registers are searchable and viewable on both Ancestry and FindMyPast.

The Tully name isn't listed on https://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/cemetery.php?cemetery=1941 but their survey is only 70% complete.

You could try contacting the church: https://www.bletchingleyparishchurch.org.uk/0eef5596.htm

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 23:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that.  It's so strange that those parish records didn't come up when I initially searched Ancestry. But I have since found them after selecting Surrey Parish registers search function, so thanks for that  ;D

And thanks for the contact details for the church. I think I will add their memorials to Findagrave and seek photo requests that way.

I'm still curious about this supposed "Tully" family vault in Godstone.... ???