Author Topic: 1916 hospital admission  (Read 661 times)

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1916 hospital admission
« on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:07 BST (UK) »
I am having trouble understanding some of the information in attached hospital admission for James O'Neill.  I am curious what he was suffering from as it might help me understand a series of documents attached to his record:
- letter from Infantry record office to his wife in Dublin dated 14.06.16 that he was admitted to hospital in Camiers France on 1.6.16 (see attachment)
- letter re 10 day furlong to his parents in Ballymena in August 1916
- copy of Protection certificate for 'soldiers not remaining with the colours' - refers to 28 day furlong and medical condition B2. date not clear
- death certificate Oct 2 1916 for 8 month old daughter (curious why this is in his military record)
- army memo march 1916 - where he seems to have been missing from his battalion and attached himself to another (see attachment )

Originally he was in the 6th Royal Irish regiment but later appears to have been in the Labour Corps. - I think this means he was no longer active infantry and moved to admin type work. Is that correct ?

also if he was in France late 1914-1916 would be likely have had other times when he was allowed leave ?  I'm curious at him having an 8th month old daughter born Feb 1916 ?

help and suggestions appreciated.  many thanks

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1916 hospital admission
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:08 BST (UK) »
hospital admission now attached

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:23 BST (UK) »
It looks like Pyrexia which is is defined as having a temperature above the normal range due to an increase in the body's temperature set point, fever.

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you - yes I can see that now that you could make it out :)
So not a very informative condition after all.  Worth a try.

Appreciate your help.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:45 BST (UK) »
Could it have been trench fever?  Unique to WW1, it was first known as pyrexia of unknown origin after appearing in the summer of 1915, and the moniker was only starting to gain official 'recognition' in the summer of 1916:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1633565/

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:53 BST (UK) »
Very interesting, thank you

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 12:26 BST (UK) »
You might like to listen to this Radio 4 programme Pandemic about the Spanish flu. This is the first episode in the series, the third and last programme will be this Friday 11 am BST. In the first episode there is a reference to an illness hitting the soldiers in 1916, now maybe thought to be the start of the Spanish flu epidemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000j2ty
GEDmatch M157477

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 14:20 BST (UK) »
The memo of 21/24 March 1916 is saying he overstayed his leave (from the battalion at Blackdown).
 When he returned found they had left for France.  He had the nous to attach himself to some other unit and got to France that way.  His CO is confirming that he is with the battalion.

This may connect with the conception of the daughter at about the right time.

The death cert may be support for a leave request when she died.

The protection cert was issued to all men on discharge to prove that they were on release leave and not on the run.

It is a little difficult to make out the date but he was transferred from France to the Depot in July 1916 (this would be normal for a man in hospital) then in July (?) 1917 to 662 (Home Service) Employment Company of the Labour Corps.  They were in Cahir composed of men of the lowest fitness condition and employed on administrative and support duties in garrisons and depots.

So in outline, 6 R Irish from Dec 1914, arriving in France a little late in December 1915 (he has the 1914/15 Star).  His record office "lost him" so checked on his whereabouts in March 1916.  Seems to have been at home in early 1916 on leave at that time.  Hospital France then UK (Colchester), on the books of the Depot in July 1916 so to  Ireland after hospital then to the Labour Corps.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 21:53 BST (UK) »
Excellent. Many thanks