Author Topic: Finding my 4th Great Grandparents  (Read 1977 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding my 4th Great Grandparents
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 May 20 19:19 BST (UK) »
Looks like the marriage would have been between 1834 & 1839, and in New York as that is where Rosanna arrived and where William 1839 was born. It is however, unlikely, that a marriage record of that date will name the fathers of the two parties although it is still worth trying to track the record down. What religion was William baptised in? 

ADDED: Just looking at the history of Ellis Island, which states that it was used as an immigration station from 1892 - yet your relative states Rosanna came through there in 1834.....

I found one immigration on the Romnius Romulus for a Rosey Maccormick spinster aged 18 in 1834.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVPX-P1NR
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 May 20 19:40 BST (UK) »
In 1850, William Tate shows as born in Illinois
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M65H-CZF

There is also quite a gap between him born 1839 and Josephine born 1849.
There may have been children born who died or a second marriage for John Tate.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 28 May 20 19:55 BST (UK) »
Yet the 1860 [family transcribed as Fate, old-fashioned capital T used] & 1870 have William born NY, obviously this is only what enumerator was told. Would be useful to find his baptism, that should tell if John [a butcher] married Rosanna as second wife.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline RSGrosse

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 May 20 07:50 BST (UK) »
John came to the US with one of his brothers, who was also a butcher.  I have a copy of William's first US passport (handwritten); however, I will work to find his BC.  John ended up owning a grocery store in Louisville, KY since his name and store are shown in the Louisville City Directory in 1870. 

These are my birth mother's ancestors.  She died before I found my birth family and no one else in the Tate family cares about their ancestry.  It would have been great to find out something about my ancestors from them; however, I've done everything alone. 

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 May 20 11:34 BST (UK) »
You're never alone with rootschat  ;).

A baptism for William is the only available record rather than a birth certificate as state registration was not introduced in some states till the 1900s.

From https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/United_States_Birth_Records

Introduction to Birth Records
Birth records might seem like the first place to start your search, but experts recommend looking into death records first and marriage records second, followed by birth records (because they are usually the most difficult to find).

It is very common to find birth information in other sources. For example, New England town records may contain some of the earliest birth records, but mandatory birth record were not kept by all of the states until well into the 1900s. Some early records of births and christenings or baptism dates were kept in local church records. But, it is not unusual for birth records to be entirely missing.
State and county jurisdictions began keeping birth and death records at different times as required in each state, so you must check with the local state laws to determine when the earliest state or county birth records are available. In some states, birth records are confidential for a period of up to 100 years or more, and access to more recent records may require proof that you are a direct descendant of the person whose record you seek. To write for vital records see the following:

Where to Write for Vital Records
Eichholz, Alice. Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources. Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004. WorldCat 55947869
The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America. Logan, Utah: Everton Publishers, 2006. WorldCat 62744825
Some birth records are filmed and/or digitized and part of the Family History Library collection. To check the availability of birth records in a particular state, go the vital records wiki pages for that state. In addition you may browse or search FamilySearch Historical Record Collections. You may also search either by topic or geographic location in the FamilySearch Catalog.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 May 20 11:43 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on ancestry [https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tree/161321284] with this family. The owner [initials LW] may be the relative who informed you of the 1834 arrival, RSGrosse.

If you could find Rose Ann or Rosanna's death certificate, it may name her parents [as may William 1839's]. I know little about US records, maybe post a thread on the US board here on RC & link it to this one?

Offline RSGrosse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 May 20 11:53 BST (UK) »
I see that New York birth records start around 1890 and are available via Ancestry for a fee.  Without knowing what denomination William for baptized in, finding church records in NYC could be daunting.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 29 May 20 12:11 BST (UK) »
finding church records in NYC could be daunting.

Indeed and that's why I suggest looking initially for the death records of Rosanna/Rose Ann & William & maybe appealing to the expertise of RC members on the US board who will have tips as to how to find them.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 May 20 14:47 BST (UK) »
Have you added the names to Surname Interests? Under Your Tools on brown section at foot of page.
Cowban