Author Topic: Win 10 Tips: Clipboard - COPY and PASTE (Keys: [Windows] & [v])  (Read 1073 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 Tips: Clipboard - COPY and PASTE (Keys: [Windows] & [v])
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 10:02 BST (UK) »

As Gadget suggested, I just open a Word document and copy and paste to that, then save in the usual way if I want to keep the info.

Yes that's fine for a single copy/cut and paste but my instructions are for storing and retrieving (Copying and Pasting) multiple items (texts, pictures, etc ...)

:)

That is absolutely untrue.  You can have a Word document  for just what you describe and copy whatever you want to it.

You're suggesting a long winded way of doing what most of us have been doing for years.

Yes, exactly so.  I even venture to suggest that the university@RootsChat may have taught many of us how to use Word in that very way, perhaps back ten years or more ago .... Perhaps Gadget taught me...   ;D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 11:44 BST (UK) »
That is absolutely untrue.  You can have a Word document  for just what you describe and copy whatever you want to it.

You're suggesting a long winded way of doing what most of us have been doing for years.

Kugate's instructions were quite detailed, but they possibly make it seem more complicated than it is. Copying to the clipboard is the same as ever (Ctrl+C); you can still paste the latest item with Ctrl+V, or you can retrieve any of the clipboard's contents with Windows+V.

Enabling the feature in Settings the way I described is a one-time operation, and it stays that way until you disable it. I'd suggest you at least try it before knocking it - you can easily turn it off again if you don't like it.

In fact it seems to me far more long-winded to use an intermediate document where you first copy and paste things into it, then copy and paste them again into wherever you want them. That might be one reason I've never used that method.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 11:47 BST (UK) »
I find this mix and match way of copying  to one document rather bad form. I prefer to keep my copied information about a topic in one place - i.e in a separate document. 

If I'm involved in working on more than one subject, I keep the refs, etc in separate folders.  I have written a few books and articles in my time and the way described is sloppy and amateur.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kugate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hold on a mo  :o  I think some are getting the wrong end of the stick here.  :o 

Firstly, it's just a tip and no-one is being forced to use it  :D

Secondly, 'I' find it an easy/simple and flexible quick effective way of doing multiple copies and pastes which I thought I'd like to share.  :D

I'm not just referring to specific single application uses, for example MS Word.  :P

;)

Offline kugate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 12:28 BST (UK) »
No offence to anyone but what is it they sometimes say ....

copyright image removed

;)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 13:00 BST (UK) »
When I am working in my own business I am a mechanical engineering drafter using licenced software to produce unique drawings for manufacture of special purpose machinery.   I frequently need to know minute detail to ensure that the Engineer who will sign off on the drawing will be able to use their finite element analysis tools efficiently.  So I find it very useful to open a word document  and using snip copy paste techniques give myself a cheat sheet .... drawing no, revision etc... in it also a snip of the relevant section of  the relevant standard from/  off a copy,  and a series of snips from the body of email exchanges giving my client's outlines, sketches,  and a snip from my own photo of my whiteboard notes,  interspersed with my typed comments .... including my own costings snipped from my excel spreadsheet, and my proposed times,  drawing register controls etc.... all in one word document.  I avoid using cloud based offerings at this early stage, afterall I am dealing with possible inventions, in a commercial sense I am creating a work. 

When I am wearing my family history hat,  I use those same tools . .  My puter, my research quest for the minute detail, my knowlege of primary source material, the online and the off line resources currently available,  and so whether I am simply helping here at RChat or contacting some of my ancient but very alive elderly relatives or sorting out my own research from decades ago,  I open a word document,  I set out a brief  outline of the quest at hand, I check my own current resources already saved on my hard drive and if an RChat quest,  I type up my reply after I have located http links to point the RChatter to some  useful online resources.  Sometimes I take photos of my own offline resources and insert those into my word documents.  Sonetimes I drag n drop.   ;D  ... sometimes, particularly when in online indexes I right click the mouse.  Sometimes I snip parts of existing PDFs, sometimes I then copy and paste from my word  document across to my reply here at RChat.  I don't save my RChat documents.

I don't actively seek out clipboard... it seems to me to belong back in DOS ... or Windows 3.3 or earlier. 

But,  each one of us has our own way and we ought to be prepared to hear others just as others need to be prepared to hear each of us.

One finger typed on my mobile phone into a piddly little dialogue box.

PS ... back before the internet, scissors where physically held in the hand to snip articles to then pick up Perkins paste and wipe back of the newspaper copy with said paste and place the copy on the p age of the scrap book .... snip, copy, paste.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 13:35 BST (UK) »
Between us we seem to be talking about a few different things. Of course if it's for a substantial document recording a piece of research or a cheat sheet that needs to be saved for long-term use, using a Word document or similar is going to be appropriate. In fact I've done the same for my browser home page - it's a home-made HTML document with useful links on it, and I have two further pages with less-used and more detailed links.

This enhanced clipboard is really only for short-term use, where creating a document is overkill. The sort of occasion I find it most useful is when writing a forum post that involves giving links to more than one site. The original Windows clipboard could only hold one item at a time, but this one holds more, allowing you to write a post and paste in the links without having to continually go backwards and forwards to collect them one at a time.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 13:57 BST (UK) »
I occasionally use Notepad too, but somehow I feel a bit more connected with the subject if I'm writing on the same site it's written on.