Author Topic: Win 10 Tips: Clipboard - COPY and PASTE (Keys: [Windows] & [v])  (Read 1073 times)

Offline kugate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Win 10 Tips: Clipboard - COPY and PASTE (Keys: [Windows] & [v])
« on: Tuesday 26 May 20 15:02 BST (UK) »
]To COPY and PASTE multiple things in your Windows 10 clipboard.

1) On your keyboard press the and  keys together.
2) If the following pops up click
3) Then when the following pops up click to close.

4)
**** Now you can start copying things to your clipboard.
**** Multiple things can be stored in your clipboard.
**** Once done continue below ....

5) On your keyboard press the Window and keys together again to see what you have stored in your clipboard.

6) As an example here's what's in my clipboard.
Click on the item you require on your clipboard and it will then be available to paste wherever you want to paste it.

**** Hope it's of use to someone.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 Tips: Clipboard - COPY and PASTE (Keys: [Windows] & [v])
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 15:33 BST (UK) »
Very interesting but please can you get rid of the red and blue and bold text.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
I would get rid of the blue, just use black, but keep the red part.  My question is how do you use clipboard and why?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 19:49 BST (UK) »
Colours not a problem for me nor bold...

I'd like to know when after pressing windows & V...where is my clipboard or how do I find it as it doesn't show.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 20:08 BST (UK) »
Is this for images, text or both.  If so, it's probably as easy to open Word or similar and just do a Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V for whatever you wish to copy.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 20:31 BST (UK) »
You can enable this feature in Windows 10 by going into Settings, and in the search box type 'clipboard'. Then the top item on the page is Clipboard History - from memory the default setting is Off, and you need to make sure it is On.

I find the feature quite useful if I want to copy several different things from a page, or get them from different pages to paste into a single document. With the default clipboard setting you have to keep going backwards and forwards to copy and paste them one at a time, but this lets you do all the copying first, and then the pasting.

If you're not careful the clipboard can get a bit full, but I'm one of those old-fashioned people who shuts down their PC overnight (completely - I don't use fast start-up), and this clears the clipboard. I'm not sure what happens on fast start-up, but as that doesn't shut down the computer completely, I suspect the clipboard contents would be preserved.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 20:35 BST (UK) »
As Gadget suggested, I just open a Word document and copy and paste to that, then save in the usual way if I want to keep the info.

Offline kugate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 08:45 BST (UK) »
I would get rid of the blue, just use black, but keep the red part.  My question is how do you use clipboard and why?

Select your text, picture, etc then COPY, CUT or [CTRL] + [C] to store in the clipboard.  The more things you COPY, CUT or [CTRL] + [C] then the more that will be store in the clipboard and the more that can be selected from the clipboard to PASTE elsewhere. 

Useful if you want to store and retrieve multiple items (text or pictures, etc) you have copied to the clipboard.

Colours not a problem for me nor bold...

I'd like to know when after pressing windows & V...where is my clipboard or how do I find it as it doesn't show.

Annie

Hopefully you're using Windows 10.  The way to turn on the Clipboard is via the [Windows] + [v] keys.  The way to view what's in the Clipboard is also via the [Windows] + [v] keys.   You will have had to copy something(s) to the clipboard first before you can see anything in the clipboard:  Select your text, picture, etc then COPY, CUT or [CTRL] + [C] to store in the clipboard.

Is this for images, text or both.  If so, it's probably as easy to open Word or similar and just do a Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V for whatever you wish to copy.

Gadget

This is for both images and text, etc.  Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V is for a single item.  If you select something and use [CTRL] + [C] it will be copied to the clipboard.  If you use [CTRL] + [C]  on numerous different things then they will all be added to the clipboard.  You can then look at the list of what you have added to the clipboard, select what you want from the clipboard and then PASTE to wherever you want.

You can enable this feature in Windows 10 by going into Settings, and in the search box type 'clipboard'. Then the top item on the page is Clipboard History - from memory the default setting is Off, and you need to make sure it is On.

I find the feature quite useful if I want to copy several different things from a page, or get them from different pages to paste into a single document. With the default clipboard setting you have to keep going backwards and forwards to copy and paste them one at a time, but this lets you do all the copying first, and then the pasting.

If you're not careful the clipboard can get a bit full, but I'm one of those old-fashioned people who shuts down their PC overnight (completely - I don't use fast start-up), and this clears the clipboard. I'm not sure what happens on fast start-up, but as that doesn't shut down the computer completely, I suspect the clipboard contents would be preserved.

Yes, you can enable this feature by going into 'Settings', etc .... but if the Clipboard is off then just using [Windows] + [v] keys will turn it on.  I find that a lot easier and quicker then going into 'Settings', etc.  Once it's 'On' is should stay on until you turn it 'Off'.

Yes, I too find it very useful!

Yes, the clipboard can get full/busy but there are options within the clipboard (as per my instructions) to CLEAR the clipboard or REMOVE individual items from the clipboard.

Yes, switching your computer off and back on will also clear the clipboard.  You will lose whatever you had in the clipboard, the same as if you had just done your good old 'Ctrl+C' and 'Ctrl+V'.

As Gadget suggested, I just open a Word document and copy and paste to that, then save in the usual way if I want to keep the info.

Yes that's fine for a single copy/cut and paste but my instructions are for storing and retrieving (Copying and Pasting) multiple items (texts, pictures, etc ...)

:)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 09:21 BST (UK) »

Yes that's fine for a single copy/cut and paste but my instructions are for storing and retrieving (Copying and Pasting) multiple items (texts, pictures, etc ...)

:)

That is absolutely untrue.  You can have a Word document  for just what you describe and copy whatever you want to it.

You're suggesting a long winded way of doing what most of us have been doing for years.