Author Topic: Has anyone else taken an FTDNA test?  (Read 380 times)

Offline dicko99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Has anyone else taken an FTDNA test?
« on: Tuesday 26 May 20 15:12 BST (UK) »
Have to say I'm unimpressed so far.

The kit took a month to arrive (had to come all the way from Texas), open it up and find I've got to pay the return postage to Texas on top of the £150 or so that it cost...

[Rant over]

R.
Pratt, Smith, Jay, Wyatt - Essex
Dickens, Betteridge - London, Oxfordshire

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone else taken an FTDNA test?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 15:23 BST (UK) »
Yes I took an FTDNA test many moons ago, and have updated some tests. I have been fully satisfied with my experience with FTDNA.

In respect of your particular points if the postal delay occurred during the present covid19 epidemic then I would not be too hard on FTDNA, the US postal service or Royal Mail. As to having to pay return postage things like this would be in the T&C's when you placed your order, if you did not read them that is not FTDNA's fault.

Maybe not the response you were hoping for but that's life I'm afraid.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 15:29 BST (UK) »
I agree with davidft - no problems at all with FTDNA  ;D

I persuaded Dad and my maternal Uncle to both take tests. The results are not as instant as autosomal and in my Uncle's case, he still revels in his uniqueness, but with patience they can be very useful - so no regrets at all.

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Norfolk (Morgan), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey, Morgan), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 18:45 BST (UK) »
I took autosomal and mtDNA tests with FTDNA in 2011 and have subsequently tested Y-DNA for a male relative.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Member
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 01:50 BST (UK) »
I'm another satisfied customer. I did my original autosomal (Family Finder) test in 2015 and later got the full sequence mtDNA as well. I have also paid for 4 relatives to test with FTDNA.

They are my favourite of the DNA companies because they seem to care more for genealogy and less for profit, compared to the other companies, they offer Y & mitochondrial testing, they accept transfers, and they have a good set of tools (Ancestry still refuses to offer a chromosome browser).

I am just sad that their database hasn't grown as fast as other companies (probably because they may be less profit oriented), but my analysis suggests that their small database is nevertheless more relevant to me living in Australia and with ancestors in UK, than other companies whose larger databases are full of people from the US that are not so helpful to me personally. That of course will be different for others, depending on in which countries they have ancestors.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • New to genealogy -a great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 01:52 BST (UK) »
All my family who have tested have done so with FTDNA. No issues.
Coffey, Cummins, Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 02:04 BST (UK) »
Father and husband took Y DNA tests years ago. Neither have had any useful matches.

Myself, daughter, her boyfriend and his mother have all taken FTDNA tests.

Very happy with the process. Return postage cost was minimal, and at the time I recall reading that some companies postage costs were way higher. Most tests were purchased at reasonable cost when on special offer.

Paid to upgrade my father and husband’s Y tests to Familyfinder. Numerous results for everyone.

Everyone’s raw data easily uploaded to My Heritage, and paid the fee to “unlock” the useful features.

Ancestry has overtaken the other companies in popularity due to their aggressive advertising over the past few years. Everyone searching for their ethnic percentages as featured in the ads, and probably do not even consider other companies.  :-\

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 10:22 BST (UK) »
It very much depends upon your objectives. For Y testing, you can't do much better than ftdna, but don't expect matches. Y has limited use for genealogy as yet. It's getting closer but outside of immediate male members of your family you may still have few if any matches. Again, if you wish Mt DNA, ftdna is also the place to go but there's even less chance of matching outside of close matrilineal family. I may be wrong but despite many suggested Mt matches, not a single one is verifiable on paper in my own experience. As for at DNA, I have some reservations due to the inclusion of small segments less than 6-7cM. That 80cM match might when examined with their chromebrowser have only the one segment of 10cM, the rest broken up bits and pieces of down to 1cM. That same match could well be ignored by Ancestry...

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 17:56 BST (UK) »
Took Y test in 2011. No issues but only 1 respondant
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)