Author Topic: St. Ninian's Churchyard / Kirkyard Gravestones  (Read 825 times)

Offline Naizam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
St. Ninian's Churchyard / Kirkyard Gravestones
« on: Wednesday 27 May 20 04:53 BST (UK) »
Good evening, at least it is here :)

Does anyone know of an online repository of the gravestones within this kirkyard and transcriptions? Or is there a reference book cataloging the stones and inscriptions? I know from Robert Meiklejohn's will that he was buried at the St. Ninians churchyard - I presume his wife Agnes was also buried there, and so I'm looking to see if there's an image online or a transcription.
Crawford, Smith, Marr, Newton, McClement, and more :)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Ninian's Churchyard / Kirkyard Gravestones
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 05:31 BST (UK) »
This site might be of use but it requires a subscription https://www.stonehouseheritage.co.uk/st-ninians-kirkyard/

Kay

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
Have a look at this http://www.memento-mori.co.uk/72.pdf - several Robert Mieklejohns mentioned. There is also corresponding entry for new churchyard. You might be able to find plot number via Stirling Archives. As I understand it access was (is) restricted  to the churchyard, but possible by arrangement (with council?) Someone will probably have more up to date info.

Offline Naizam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 May 20 03:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kay and Sandy.

I downloaded the pdf from Sandy's link - there are a few Robert Meiklejohn's but more interestingly there's an Agnes Meiklejohn (nee Mouat). Robert's wife's name is Agnes Mowat - very much like the right stone. The only issue is that the Roberts in the pdf all died too early - I know from the Wills and Testaments section of the SP website that he died 29 Jan 1845. The pdf indicates Agnes passed in 1811 and there's a corresponding Robert in 1811????

I then subscribed to Stonehouse Heritage to get a look at their inscriptions but they didn't have any Meiklejohn's in their inscription database? Could there be two St. Ninian's kirkyards?
Crawford, Smith, Marr, Newton, McClement, and more :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 May 20 08:08 BST (UK) »
Mouat and Mowat are alternative spellings of the same name.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 May 20 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Naizam - my guess is that that's the right stone and that there's only one legible date on it. There is a new kirkyard, but I believe most of the burials there are later in date. Does the will mention a lair number (rights to which would be passed to his inheritors)? I have ancestors buried there and once tried to find details of exactly who, but records held by Stirling Council and Stirling Archives were incomplete. Someone from the Council who happened to be going to the kirkyard for some reason was able to check the plot and confirmed there was no headstone - don't think that is a regular free service however! Memento mori site indicates they can provide photos, for a charge, but the site is over 10 years old and I'm not sure if this is still a possibility.