Author Topic: Ordering a copy of Marriage certificate  (Read 2497 times)

Offline telephonist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ordering a copy of Marriage certificate
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 30 May 20 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Thanks for your reply, I will . information with all the rest until i receive the marriage certificate and post the results to see if i can advance this search further.
Thanks everyone for all the help given.
Hall -Devon,
Atkinson-Gateshead Durham.
Weir - Swansea
Sumner - Warwickshire
Morrall - Warwickshire
Hill -Cornwall, Australia and NZ
Penhallurick - Cornwall and Australia
McNally - Ireland and UK
Tooze - Devon

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 30 May 20 11:25 BST (UK) »

Others in earlier comments tried to locate these children further along for me with nothing definite.
Elizabeth was "spotted" visiting a Cotterell/Tooze family in 1871. Nothing for Edward who I think is my great grandfather and came to  NZ abt  1873. I know he married in 1877 but no details to help on his cert other than Devon and his age.

In 1871, Elizabeth Hall visitor age 22 born Cullompton is a visitor with the family of Thomas Tooze b 1833, his wife Caroline, 6 x Tooze children and Thomas Cotterell b 1787 father in law. They are living in Holcombe Regis.

Thomas Tooze and Caroline Cottrell appear on same page of marriage reg index Q4 1853 Tiverton district.

Thomas Tooze is on 1851 and 1841 censuses with parents William and Sophia. Likely to be the William Tooze and Sophia Disney who married in Halberton on 8 Sept 1831.

William Tooze bapt Holcombe regis 3 April 1809 s/o Thomas and Joan.

In 1841 Caroline Cotterell is with Thomas Cottrell, Sarah Cottrell (assumed parents) and 4 Cotterell children (assumed siblings). In the same household is an Elizabeth Tooze b abt 1821.

There is a death for an Elizabeth Hall age 29 reg in Tiverton district Q2 1850. This is the same quarter and place that the birth of Edward hall was registered mmn Tooze.

Next was a search for an Elizabeth b Cullompton abt 1848 in 1851 census. (Elizabeth birth reg Q3 1847, so would not have had her birthday in 1851, so age would give apparent year of birth of 1848).

No Hall but an Elizabeth Hole age 3 b Cullomptom as lodger in Perkins household. Also a lodger in same household (assumed her father) is Edward Hole widower b Cullompton abt 1814.

Looking for Cullompton baptisms for Edward Hole / Hall, I can't find any around 1814, The nearest are Edward Hole 13 Feb 1825 s/o Edward and Rosamund and
Edward Hall 28 Mar 1824 s/o James and Sarah

I think Edward Hole with assumed father Edward and assumed siblings William and Sarah are on 1841 census  - Piece 225 Book 3 Folio 3 Page 1, but can't find Edward Hall.

Edward Hole wid and daughter Elizabeth in 1851 look a good fit, given that the marriage has Hole (assuming correct one). If he had a broad Devon accent, would Hall sound similar to Hole or vice versa? And if he wasn't literate he couldn't check that it had been spelt correctly.

And where is Edward jnr in 1851? He would be just under a year old - perhaps other relatives looking after him.

Not sure of the Thomas Tooze relationship to Elizabeth Tooze (b 1821 ish)

Two candidates  in Holcombe Regis- one bapt 25 dec 1821 d/o John and Christian (occ chairmaker) and the other bapt 14 Oct 1821 d/o Sarah Tooze spinster.

Hope some of this turns out to be some use. Will try to find Elizabeth Hall in 1861
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline telephonist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 30 May 20 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much to you and others for your help here. I have now ordered the marriage cert and GRO says June 22nd so a long wait. Will post the results when they arrive. Thankyou. Maybe sometime people dont want to be found.! No DNA results lead me to further ideas as yet.
Hall -Devon,
Weir - Swansea
Sumner - Warwickshire
Morrall - Warwickshire
McNally - Ireland and UK
Tooze - Devon

Offline telephonist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 26 July 20 07:05 BST (UK) »
Marriage certificate ordered 30 May was dispatched 7th July so hopefully will arrive in NZ quite soon now!
Hall -Devon,
Weir - Swansea
Sumner - Warwickshire
Morrall - Warwickshire
McNally - Ireland and UK
Tooze - Devon

Offline telephonist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 06:47 BST (UK) »
Marriage cert finally arrived today.
Will attach for anyones perusal. No help really, no father mentioned for Elizabeth Tooze either and seems Edward is HOLE not Hall, which is different on the two childrens birth certs i got, they are HALL with father Edward Halland Mother Elizabeth Tooze, possibly yet another family??
Hall -Devon,
Weir - Swansea
Sumner - Warwickshire
Morrall - Warwickshire
McNally - Ireland and UK
Tooze - Devon

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 08:07 BST (UK) »
There is a site where you can use the GRO ref to see if you can find out which church it was.
http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk

It only covers Anglican churches.

Sadly in this case putting in the year, quarter, vol and page number does not give a result. This could mean they were either married in a non conformist church or a civil ceremony at a registrar's office.

The coverage for this website is very limited. I have never yet found a church using it. I have tested it with many examples which I have certs for and which were definitely in a C of E church. So if you use it and don't get a result, don't always assume the ceremony was at a register office or a non C of E church.
In this particular case it has turned out to be in a parish church after all.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 09:02 BST (UK) »
There is a site where you can use the GRO ref to see if you can find out which church it was.
http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk

It only covers Anglican churches.

Sadly in this case putting in the year, quarter, vol and page number does not give a result. This could mean they were either married in a non conformist church or a civil ceremony at a registrar's office.

The coverage for this website is very limited. I have never yet found a church using it. I have tested it with many examples which I have certs for and which were definitely in a C of E church. So if you use it and don't get a result, don't always assume the ceremony was at a register office or a non C of E church.
In this particular case it has turned out to be in a parish church after all.

Apologies.
I do acknowledge that it isn't 100% certain, though the coverage for the counties I use mainly seems to be fairly accurate (though there are always exceptions to every rule).
Its worth a shot though and as no one seems to have been able to find the marriage elsewhere then the GRO was the only option.
Unsure about Devon archives but most require the church name for a straightforward copy order. If they have to try to find the marriage without knowing which church then it changes from a copy order to a  research order - with a corresponding hike in fee - making the GRO  option look cheap in comparison.

Boo