Author Topic: Ordering a copy of Marriage certificate  (Read 2488 times)

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ordering a copy of Marriage certificate
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 May 20 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have had a quick look and findmypast only has the GRO index not the parish ,arraign for this couple.
Have you tried familysearch to see if they have a record?
Regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 May 20 12:17 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately that is just a reference to the GRO marriage index, not an image of the marriage entry.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 28 May 20 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply Anthony, I have just looked and found a reference to a marriage on Find My Past but dont have an account. Its for Edward HOLE 1846 Tiverton Devon in England and Wales marriages  1837-2005.
The GRO has this as HALL and TOOZE and as my ancestor is HALL i am  hoping this might be a transcription error, I dont want to waste money getting the certificate if this is the case, any ideas or maybe someone on this site could access the record for me please?

Kind regards Telephonist

Where did you see that the GRO have this marriage as HALL and TOOZE ?

The ref you gave was Q4 Tiverton 10 391. I checked on FreeBMD and their transcription and the scan of the GRO index both have HOLE as the groom's surname.

Before you pay for a cert that may not be the right one, do you have this couple on a later census? Did they have any children? If you can give us more details, we  may be able to help with alternates to this Edward HOLE cert?

Boo

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 May 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
A few years ago, I ordered a copy of marriage record from Staffordshire record office, for C of E church marriage in the 1940s. I had previously contacted the church but they no longer had the register as they had finished the book some years earlier and sent it to the RO. I did not get a photo copy from the RO, I got a record copied out from the register by a clerk, so not the original signatures.
As s*d's law would have it, after paying for the copy, the "original" turned up (by "original" I mean the one given to the bride and groom at the time of the marriage). On the "original" the bride's age had been left out, yet signed by someone as a true and correct record of the entry in the register. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 28 May 20 16:06 BST (UK) »
A few years ago, I ordered a copy of marriage record from Staffordshire record office, for C of E church marriage in the 1940s. I had previously contacted the church but they no longer had the register as they had finished the book some years earlier and sent it to the RO. I did not get a photo copy from the RO, I got a record copied out from the register by a clerk, so not the original signatures.
As s*d's law would have it, after paying for the copy, the "original" turned up (by "original" I mean the one given to the bride and groom at the time of the marriage). On the "original" the bride's age had been left out, yet signed by someone as a true and correct record of the entry in the register.

For a church (CofE) wedding there would be two original registers - both get signed by the bride/groom.

One is kept by the church, and when full usually gets sent to the county archive. These are the ones you may see images of on Ancestry/FindMyPast etc.

The other, when full, goes to the superintendent registrar of the district concerned and put in their vault.

Most certificates produced these days from old registers will be written out by hand - there is no requirement for the entry to be photocopied. It is possible to do that way although a bit tricky, and some offices may do it if asked, but they don't have to.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 May 20 16:07 BST (UK) »
i have found two children which look like they may belong to the Hall / Tooze couple. Elizabeth 1847 and Edward 1850 - certainly gave a lot of thought when they name children, bot Tiverton and Dulverton RD.

On the reg entry are 4 names - 2 couples, are we sure "Hole" goes with Tooze?

added
Now found a child for the Broom / Pearce combination - 1847 - Tiv and Dulv

So loks like Hole (Hall) / Tooze is right.

No sign of any of them on 1851 - no more children after 1850. Did they emigrate?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 28 May 20 16:21 BST (UK) »

For a church (CofE) wedding there would be two original registers - both get signed by the bride/groom.

One is kept by the church, and when full usually gets sent to the county archive. These are the ones you may see images of on Ancestry/FindMyPast etc.

The other, when full, goes to the superintendent registrar of the district concerned and put in their vault.

Most certificates produced these days from old registers will be written out by hand - there is no requirement for the entry to be photocopied. It is possible to do that way although a bit tricky, and some offices may do it if asked, but they don't have to.

Thanks for the explanation, Anthony.
So if the clerk hadn't been diligent in recording the marriage details exactly the same in the two registers, it might lead to a discrepancy in later copies of the record issued by a Register office and the Certificate the Bride and groom took away.

Offline telephonist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 28 May 20 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hello again and thankyou for all your replies. I bought the PDF for the two children mentioned earlier Elizabeth and Edward 1847 and 1850, both listed as Hall and mother Tooze.

Others in earlier comments tried to locate these children further along for me with nothing definite.
Elizabeth was "spotted" visiting a Cotterell/Tooze family in 1871. Nothing for Edward who I think is my great grandfather and came to  NZ abt  1873. I know he married in 1877 but no details to help on his cert other than Devon and his age.

I thought I would go backwards and look for this possible parents  marriage 1846 (in the meantime I have just found a baptism in 1828 for an Edward HALL in Devon Baptism Parish registers .
Any chance of finding  further information re this?

I have had my DNA done but no matches showing at this stage!
Hall -Devon,
Atkinson-Gateshead Durham.
Weir - Swansea
Sumner - Warwickshire
Morrall - Warwickshire
Hill -Cornwall, Australia and NZ
Penhallurick - Cornwall and Australia
McNally - Ireland and UK
Tooze - Devon

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 May 20 06:55 BST (UK) »
Was it this baptism:

7 December 1828 - Edward son of Thomas (Shoemaker) and Sarah - Yealmpton.

Possible marriage - Yealmpton - 20 February 1825 - Thomas Hall, Sojourner, and Sarah Selley.

Possible siblings - all children of Thomas (Shoemaker) and Sarah of Yealmpton

Mary - 18 September 1825
Sarah Ann - 17 June 1827
Jane - 3 October 1830
Thomas Henry - 10 June 1832
Elizabeth - 3 November 1833

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY