Author Topic: Diary - Tuesday 26th May  (Read 349 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Tuesday 26th May
« on: Wednesday 27 May 20 07:14 BST (UK) »
It's hard to believe that it's two months since lockdown started....
Where has that time gone...
Busy with the garden, house tidying, sewing, exercise....
Now hopefully things are easing a little and we can start to go about with some degree of normality....

My day

Well it's pretty much the same as the others really, except that today, whilst my OH had gone off for a round of golf.... a whole round today! I went and joined my friend in her very large garden for a coffee and chat.... how exciting! The friend and neighbour is the wife of OH's golf partner...
We sat outside, at the required distance and were joined by another friend and neighbour....
What an enjoyable morning we had, drinking coffee and eating home made scones and little cakes....
We must have talked for England and before we knew it it was 1.30!
Next week we're going to do the same at other neighbours.... in the garden of course... we're all lucky to have plenty of outdoor space.
After lunch the Rest of the afternoon I spent sewing....
Had nice BBQ steak and salad and sat outside enjoying the evening warmth.
Inside watched the new House through time... all about Bristol, I've enjoyed the previous programmes. The research they do with all those lovely documents must be so interesting and this one starts in the 1700's..
Tired today so early bed...

Hope others had a good day and can see some light at the end of the tunnel...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Tuesday 26th May
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 08:03 BST (UK) »
How lovely Caroline. I'm glad you had a sociable day.

More of our new normal here, a walk along to the end of Preston beach again.  More and more people on the proms, beaches and parks. Traffic quite heavy.

We needed some special fixings to put the fittings back on the bathroom door, which husband had kindly painted, so now the white matches the other white from the upgrade we had 3, or maybe 4 years ago. Hurrah. They also serve.....

I stayed outside the DIY shop, and wandered up a few doors to loiter near the pet shop where a canary was trilling loudly.  As I waited, a couple passed by, bronzed and lovely. She was shapely, clouds of golden hair, white T-shirt and a skirt short enough to maximise her long legs.  (I am 5 foot nothing and even when slim, never have legs like that!) 

About 10 seconds after they had gone beyond the shop, the resident, and slightly forgetful parrot whom I could not see, let out a strangled squawk and a wolf whistle! It was the best laugh I have had in a long while.

Had lunch while listening to Dr Jarvis on the radio. She was very anxious to instruct us that enclosing a child in a small unventilated space for several hours, with someone who is sick, could be very dangerous for the child, and begged us not to risk it.

More reading on the balcony.

Watched the briefing when the Health Minister stated it is our civic duty to observe the government guidelines and not to drive long distances.

After tea the beach and park were still busy, so we had a walk over to the lakes which was very quiet.

Watched the house history programme, which was interesting of course, but made me feel guilty and uncomfortable, then part of a "Foyle's War" and so to bed.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 08:42 BST (UK) »
Morning mowsehouse- I did have to laugh at your comments regarding the long legged blonde and the parrot!
One of my Uncles had a parrot called guess what...... yes you guessed it Polly! It was a funny bird and he taught it all sorts of things to say but wolf whistling was one of its favourites!

My Grandfather had budgies that he used to let out and they'd fly around the room much to my grandmothers indignation! Always worried it would leave its messages on her white table cloth!

Happy memories of a long ago childhood...

Hope you have a nice day today in the sunshine

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 10:20 BST (UK) »
Morning Caroline.
Glad it made you smile, and brought back some good memories. 
That was the intention :D

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 12:42 BST (UK) »
Your afternoon with friends sounds lovely Caroline. Mowsehouse, I had a laugh too at your tale of the parrot.  :D

Had a better sleep so a better start to the day. Quite cloudy but some nice spells of sunshine, went for my walk late morning. It's been busier during the good weather. When I came back the nasty neighbour was on the front with her friend who had been visiting. When her friend got in the car she leaned in the window towards her, this woman has no concept of social distancing or else she thinks it doesn't apply to her. Her daughter and son in law had been round earlier. I'm glad she doesn't speak to me, I'd be constantly having to tell her to back off.

Had some lunch and went out in the garden. Am pleased to report that I had a lovely afternoon, no sign or sound of the nasty neighbour. I'd started the other day on edging the borders but not just trimming, I measured the distance from the fence with a bamboo stick because it was looking a strange shape. As a result I dug out quite a lot of turf. Planted some more lettuce seeds in a water retaining trough, I've eaten quite a lot of the leaves that had grown. Had a cuppa and read my Kindle for a little while, it was so peaceful, no nasty neighbour, no teenagers playing constant music, aaahhhh!  :)

Decided to cook the chicken I'd got in my supermarket delivery, it had a few days till the use by date but I don't like to leave it too long. I usually do a Sunday dinner when I first cook it but it was too warm to be slaving over a hot stove! Had some with new potatoes and salad, plenty left to freeze.

Sent a couple of funnies to my friend who does my shopping, she phoned and we had a long chat. She has offered to get anything I need from the garden centre, she's been so good to me. I'm hoping to pluck up my courage to go to the local nurseries myself, I feel really nervous about the thought of it. Not sure what the effect of children going back to school will have on such places, I'm not even sure whether they're going back here, I know there's been a lot of opposition.

Have a good day everyone.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales