Author Topic: The old Longparish School  (Read 299 times)

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
The old Longparish School
« on: Wednesday 27 May 20 08:22 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a photo please of the old Longparish School before it was knocked down in the 1950's please? My husband and I went there during and after WWII. We have very fond memories. It was built of stone like St Nicholas Church next door. The arched windows were large but high up and one could not see out, but they gave good light.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: The old Longparish School
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 09:31 BST (UK) »
Wow!! You turned my heart over. Those children there in the playground must have been the adults of the village when my husband and I were children. Added to that Mr and Mrs Wheable were our next door neighbours when I was a child. The owners of that website must be their descendants. They had two daughters about 10 or so years older than I was.

The other one on the seat I have seen before and was also a Christmas card. These were done to send to the Longparish soldiers in France in WWII, 1917. I had not seen the school one. Some of those children's fathers were probably in France and this was a performance for them. Incredible to see. 103 years ago. As they were children in 1917, perhaps they were in WWII themselves. Thank you so very much for finding those.

Although that is a wonderful photo, and I intend to keep a copy, it is rather special, I am hoping to get a photo of just the school. Has anyone got one please?