Author Topic: No deaths in Northern Ireland yesterday (26th May) in daily briefing  (Read 660 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
No deaths in Northern Ireland yesterday (26th May) in daily briefing
« on: Wednesday 27 May 20 10:36 BST (UK) »
It was encouraging to hear yesterday that there were no recorded deaths attributed with Covid-19 yesterday in Northern Ireland.

It's incredible the work that the hospitals are doing there.

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: No deaths in Northern Ireland yesterday (26th May) in daily briefing
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
Yes Trystan, isn't it great to get some positive news, such a pleasant change from all the negativity surrounding the current Covid-19 situation. At least now that we are slowly coming out of lockdown, we can begin to see a light at the end of the tunnel after so many dark days, but I think I will need to cut my fringe first so that I can see it  ;D
Keep Well, Stay Safe and stay positive  ;)
Carol 
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 12:48 BST (UK) »
Yes! I know it's a much smaller place, but . . . .

No deaths on Isle of Man since 17th May.
Only 2 new cases since 16th May.

In fact, of the 24 deaths so far, 20 of them came from a single care home.
As there is an enquiry ongoing, I won't speculate as to the reasons why.

Borders are still locked down.
Repatriations are permitted, by boat, but must self-isolate at a named address for 14 days.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 14:25 BST (UK) »
It just goes to show what closing borders quickly does for the situation. And quarantining the repatriations for 14 days as well.

Kazakhstan closed its borders on 15 March after they had 3 cases (from Italy and Iran).
They have now had a total of 37 deaths in a population of 18.75 million (28% of UK). And a total of 9304 cases. (I mention Kaz because OH was due to go there in early April and we were watching the situation closely. Luckily in some ways they did close borders early as he might have been stuck there, if he'd managed to get out there, of course).
Yesterday in the UK there were just over 2000 new cases reported and on our worst day (April 10th) there were 8681 new cases. And we've had 9 days (between 7th and 24th April) when the death toll has topped 1000 per day. Those figures are the PHE reported deaths, not the higher ONS  estimates from excess death figures.
Just think how many lives could have been saved if we had put in strict border controls when we had our early cases. And made quarantine mandatory, not just handed out leaflets and advised it. A
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 16:17 BST (UK) »
Yes! I know it's a much smaller place, but . . . .

No deaths on Isle of Man since 17th May.
Only 2 new cases since 16th May.

In fact, of the 24 deaths so far, 20 of them came from a single care home.
As there is an enquiry ongoing, I won't speculate as to the reasons why.

Similar situation Isle of Skye.
Might the no deaths reported for N.I. be because of weekend & bank holiday?
Cowban

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 17:05 BST (UK) »
Speaking as a resident born and bred, the most recent news for Northern Ireland is interesting, for while our local NHS comprises a legion of dedicated clinical experts at all levels, our devolved Government, in contrast, is the most dysfunctional that you could possibly imagine. And then some.

The official Northern Ireland response to Covid-19 evolved from the fractious behaviour of politicians with opposing political agendas to either: align with the UK measures (representing unionists, predominantly protestant) or; to align with the Republic of Ireland measures (representing nationalists, predominantly catholic).  It was embarrassing...  So I suppose I'm questioning, is the Northern Ireland experience despite our politicians (as opposed to the expertise of NHS staff)?

Probably way too early to call anything on this,  I will wait for the reviews on this crisis.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 18:49 BST (UK) »
I heard on news that "track & trace" was already operating in NI.

The official Northern Ireland response to Covid-19 evolved from the fractious behaviour of politicians with opposing political agendas to either: align with the UK measures (representing unionists, predominantly protestant) or; to align with the Republic of Ireland measures (representing  nationalists, predominantly catholic). 

Did the fact that one is separated by an expanse of water and the other isn't have any bearing on decisions?
Cowban

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 19:55 BST (UK) »
I heard on news that "track & trace" was already operating in NI.

The official Northern Ireland response to Covid-19 evolved from the fractious behaviour of politicians with opposing political agendas to either: align with the UK measures (representing unionists, predominantly protestant) or; to align with the Republic of Ireland measures (representing  nationalists, predominantly catholic). 

Did the fact that one is separated by an expanse of water and the other isn't have any bearing on decisions?

That was / is the assertion of the nationalist political party view (representing predominantly catholics). 

Time will prove.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 22:47 BST (UK) »
I'm reminded of Rev. Ian Paisley re BSE or Foot & Mouth "The people are British but the cows are Irish."
Cowban