Author Topic: General Discussion on Current Situation 2/  (Read 14945 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
General Discussion on Current Situation 2/
« on: Wednesday 27 May 20 14:57 BST (UK) »
I thought this very interesting analysis of Dominic Cummings' statement in the Rose Garden at 10 Downing Street on 25th May 2020 was well worth listening to.  There's no paywall round it.

If you had any doubts about whether it was a statement from the heart from a devoted father focused only on his child, or a legally written document carefully drafted to avoid any future challenge in an investigation/court of law, you may be able to resolve them by listening.

I'm also reminded of the fact that it's common knowledge if you're involved in a car accident, no matter how much you know it's your fault and you want to apologise to the other party, and take responsibility, your insurance company tells you that 'you must not accept any liability'.

However, it may well be that notwithstanding that, when you wish to acknowledge that your actions in particularly important circumstances may - in hindsight - have not been the right ones, you do take the opportunity to apologise.

Rather than ensure that everyone round you keeps saying how 'reasonable' you've been, thereby implying that others, carefully and often painfully taking other actions, were more misguided and potentially less caring.  And, incidentally, affecting compliance to particularly important instructions in a very dangerous situation.

I do wish we had some more witnesses of whatever went on in Barnard Castle, because an eye-testing safety trip it most definitely wasn't.  Good lawyer at drafting, perhaps, pretty poor at coming up with a decent excuse.

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1265573114219565057?s=20

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion on Current Situation 2/
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 15:52 BST (UK) »
Strange that his son could survive for a 260 mile journey (about 4 hours) without needing to stop for a toilet, but on the trip to Barnard Castle (half an hour each way and 10 - 15 minutes stay there) he needed to stop on the way back, less than 75 minutes from leaving the Durham residence.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 16:27 BST (UK) »
Car Crash
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 16:47 BST (UK) »
Should have followed his boss's example and taken a test drive first.....
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 17:24 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Has any one noticed that, before many of his answers, he does a bit of bluster and looks down to his right as if reading from a tablet/phone etc.  Is DC prompting him  :-\

He's not doing very well, isi he?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
The trouble as I see it is that most of the comentators have clearly never been to Barnard Castle.

The family “pile” lies directly adjacent to a duel carriageway section of the A167 and the trip to Barnard Castle would have followed a pretty obvious route. BC isn’t that big and it’s difficult to reconcile the statement to the effect that they “found ourself on the outskirts of ....”. On the route they would have taken, by the time you enter the outskirts, you are, in reality, on the main street.

Once there, you either park alongside the masses or drive through, over the river, and out the other side. His description, to me, just doesn’t stack up - check it out on Google Earth. Travelling from the “Lodge” to BC strikes me as more of a day out than a test drive.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 17:53 BST (UK) »
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
The trouble as I see it is that most of the comentators have clearly never been to Barnard Castle.

It's also funny to hear some reporters talk about "Castle Barnard".  I wonder if they're mixing it up with Castle Howard.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 17:59 BST (UK) »

It's also funny to hear some reporters talk about "Castle Barnard".  I wonder if they're mixing it up with Castle Howard.

Even worse: Castle Barnard
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk