Author Topic: General Discussion on Current Situation 2/  (Read 14947 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion on Current Situation 2/
« Reply #126 on: Friday 29 May 20 12:05 BST (UK) »

Top marks to Mr Cummings in doing what he instictlively thought was right for his family.

And to hell with all the rest of us.

I'm sorry, Derek, but if we all take that attitude, many more people will die.
If we are to fight this pandemic, we need to consider everyone.

And if there are other alternatives to potentially taking a C-19 positive person, in a car (with amplified infection chances) across the country to put pressure on other NHS services, then 'instinctively' we should think of those alternatives.

Especially if we are fortunate enough to have alternatives. 

And if - instinctively - we do something which other people point out in hindsight was not the right action to take, then the least we can do is apologise.

Not keep justifying our own selfish actions and condemning others.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Friday 29 May 20 12:41 BST (UK) »
Just been sent a nice photo bearing the legend! "Barnard Castle & Site for Sore Eyes!"  ;D

Skoosh.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Doesn’t take people long to find a bit of wry humour
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Friday 29 May 20 12:41 BST (UK) »

Top marks to Mr Cummings in doing what he instictlively thought was right for his family.

Just what would have happened if everyone had done the same thing - got in their car and driven miles to relatives so they could help with childcare if needed? A good percentage of the country would have been on the move and away from their permanent residence.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Friday 29 May 20 13:03 BST (UK) »

So if  both Dominic and his wife both died in the night (many people have died within a few hours of showing symptoms) etc etc

Isn’t it fortunate that he had the choice 😡 How the devil do you think other families have had to cope. 

I personally know a couple living in London who have both had Covid 19, they also have two children and grandparents here in Sussex.  They had the opportunity to leave London when the husband first felt unwell, the wife considered getting out of London but did they did not as they felt it morally wrong to inflict themselves on local doctors and services.

Both husband and wife were lucky they only had mild symptoms and have both made a full recovery.

It’s Cummings attitude that makes me boil, if he’d admitted that with hindsight he had perhaps made the wrong decision and at the very least said sorry 😡
The fact that it was both his Mother’s and his wife’s birthdays......he thinks we just came down in the last shower 😡
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Friday 29 May 20 13:11 BST (UK) »
Given   that Cummings drove 260 miles to his parents  home  while  he and /or his wife  were showing symptoms  of Covid19 to a place  on his parents farm (nothing  very much you know, just concrete blocks really) where they could self isolate...he THEN drove 30 miles  to Barnard Castle, which he says took half an hour. On that basis he was driving at an average of 60 miles an hour.  The sto0pping distance at that speed is  240  ft/55  metres, of which 18 metres are thinking  distance.
The drivers physical condition is another factor. Cummings admitted he wasn't 100%.,
The legal minimum distance for eyesight is 20 metres or  about 67 feet to see a  3.1 inch number plate. He could easily therefore   have checked that at  the "cottage" where he wasn't supposed  to be.How was  he to know  he wouldn't feel worse..what then?  he said  he felt sick  when they got there,  hence sat by the river for a while. And they would  have lied about that  if they hadn't been spotted and the number plate noted.
Or if they'd  had an accident or the car broke down...
So  in conclusion he's stuck 2 fingers up to the thousands  of  front line workers . all because the rules don't apply to them...
 And he didn't even have the grace to apologise  to all the   thousands of folk affected by and who nevertheless abide by the rules. which it seems don't apply to him and his kind.

Offline derekwg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Friday 29 May 20 13:22 BST (UK) »

And if there are other alternatives to potentially taking a C-19 positive person, in a car (with amplified infection chances) across the country to put pressure on other NHS services, then 'instinctively' we should think of those alternatives.

And if - instinctively - we do something which other people point out in hindsight was not the right action to take, then the least we can do is apologise.

No need for saying sorry Igor,none of what most said on here cuts any ice with me,and I would'nt know what being selfish is...........most of the argument from the media and elswhere is from the anti-brexit,anti Boris and Cummings brigade...the wickness,cruelty and plain ignorance in front of Mr Cummings property and his wife and child is absolutely disgusting....draw a line end of story.
Weaving...Rodborough,Stroud,Ruscombe.
 Browning...ditto.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Friday 29 May 20 13:30 BST (UK) »
There's this really strange concept that it is possible to disapprove of more than one thing at a time.  I disapprove of what Cummings did and I also disapprove of people gathering and harrassing people outside their own home. especially where there are children present.  But I cannot draw a line under it especially while they refuse to acknowledge the danger of the actions, while they patronise me, while the laugh us stupid people following regulations, while the change guidelines not becuase the figures suggest it is safe to do so but simply to protect one person who cannot apologise or accept responsibility for what they have done, while the continue to imply I  don't care enough, that i am just confused, that my feelings are invalid.  And now I get to add wicked to the list.  Lovely!

Edit:  My feelings on this are nothing to do with Brexit, I consider it a completely separate issue.  What's more I can categorically say that I would be angry at anyone acting this way, including my own family.  Who he is is only relevant to my views on the matter in as far as he was one of the architects of the guidelines he ran roughshod over and adapted to his own wants and to me that is an aggravating factor.  If someone is in a position of power they have a moral duty (IMO) to lead by example especially when the rules they are asking people to follow are difficult.  I am not a member of any political party and try and consider each issue on it's own merit.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Friday 29 May 20 13:33 BST (UK) »
  And now I get to add wicked to the list.  Lovely!

Now you're just being silly again. You know perfectly well that no-one has called you wicked. It's not all about you.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Friday 29 May 20 13:38 BST (UK) »

No need for saying sorry Igor,none of what most said on here cuts any ice with me,and I would'nt know what being selfish is...........most of the argument from the media and elswhere is from the anti-brexit,anti Boris and Cummings brigade...the wickness,cruelty and plain ignorance in front of Mr Cummings property and his wife and child is absolutely disgusting....draw a line end of story.

Thank you, Derek, that none of the heart-felt comments here 'cut any ice' with you.  I respect your opinion, although I absolutely disagree with it.

I find it hard to believe that any of us wouldn't know 'what being selfish is', but you can of course only speak for yourself.

My comments are absolutely nothing to do with Brexit, anti-Boris or anti-Cummings, so you don't need to add me to your "brigade".

Let's agree to disagree, shall we.
We're all in this together, and I've got your back even if you've not got mine.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex