Author Topic: General Discussion on Current Situation 2/  (Read 14993 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion on Current Situation 2/
« Reply #144 on: Friday 29 May 20 17:06 BST (UK) »
Finally, I repeat my question of yesterday afternoon, which you have still not answered:
And Guy - do you consider it to have been within the letter and/or spirit of the guidelines for DC to have returned to work, even though his wife was thought to have COVID-19 symptoms and he was worried that he might also have the virus?

I view the trip to Durham as legal and according to not only the Coronavirus Act 2020 but also according to the 2020 No. 250 Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020.
As for the trip to Barnard Castle I view it as a sensible thing to do before driving back down to London.
I have done something very similar after an illness and I used to take drivers who's driving  I was responsible for on a test drive before they could drive coaches when I was the person holding the National & International CPCs for the coach firm they worked for. The BBC like many others tried to make out it was an eyesight test but in reality it was a fitness to drive test he took.

That's all very interesting, but now please would you answer the question? It's nothing to do with going to Durham or fitness to drive etc, but whether it was right for someone who had potentially been exposed to Covid-19 should leave the house and return to work. (To avoid any doubt, I am referring to what happened before the Durham trip.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Friday 29 May 20 17:09 BST (UK) »
Finally, I repeat my question of yesterday afternoon, which you have still not answered:
And Guy - do you consider it to have been within the letter and/or spirit of the guidelines for DC to have returned to work, even though his wife was thought to have COVID-19 symptoms and he was worried that he might also have the virus?

I view the trip to Durham as legal and according to not only the Coronavirus Act 2020 but also according to the 2020 No. 250 Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020.
As for the trip to Barnard Castle I view it as a sensible thing to do before driving back down to London.
I have done something very similar after an illness and I used to take drivers who's driving  I was responsible for on a test drive before they could drive coaches when I was the person holding the National & International CPCs for the coach firm they worked for. The BBC like many others tried to make out it was an eyesight test but in reality it was a fitness to drive test he took.

That's all very interesting, but now please would you answer the question? It's nothing to do with going to Durham or fitness to drive etc, but whether it was right for someone who had potentially been exposed to Covid-19 should leave the house and return to work. (To avoid any doubt, I am referring to what happened before the Durham trip.)

And I will add to what Arthur said that this action was on that DC himself stated in his press conference that he had done on the first day of his wife's illness and not based on hearsay from the media.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Friday 29 May 20 17:30 BST (UK) »
 The Ellon brewer "Brewdog!" has released a new "Hazy Durham IPA," fanfare of trumpets!!
I give youse, "Barnard Castle Eye Test!"  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Friday 29 May 20 17:32 BST (UK) »
The Ellon brewer "Brewdog!" has released a new "Hazy Durham IPA," fanfare of trumpets!!
I give youse, "Barnard Castle Eye Test!"  ;D

You're a bit late off the mark with that one  ;D  ;D https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=831399.msg6962004#msg6962004
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Friday 29 May 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
I have done something very similar after an illness         

Just where does it say that is acceptable in the Highway Code? I doubt very much if that would be accepted as an excuse if the person doing it had an accident and killed someone. You are either fit to drive or you aren’t. If you think you need to go on a test drive then you obviously aren’t sure you are fit to drive and shouldn’t do it! Not only are you putting your life and that of any passengers at risk, but you are also endangering other road users.

Also, I would like to know if Guy has done this since the lockdown was introduced?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Friday 29 May 20 18:13 BST (UK) »
Has anyone considered how he managed to drive about 600 miles and didn't fill up with petrol?

Regarding testing of eyesight, many years ago I collected my first pair of varifocals.  I hadn't used glasses before and was very nervous of driving.  The glasses were obviously OK for driving but I wasn't.  I got my husband to drive me around some country lanes, housing estates and a dual carriageway so I could sit in the car and watch the road as a driver without actually driving.  He also took my out at night for the same reason.  I didn't drive until I was confident in my corrected vision.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Friday 29 May 20 18:20 BST (UK) »
Has anyone considered how he managed to drive about 600 miles and didn't fill up with petrol?

Regarding testing of eyesight, many years ago I collected my first pair of varifocals.  I hadn't used glasses before and was very nervous of driving.  The glasses were obviously OK for driving but I wasn't.  I got my husband to drive me around some country lanes, housing estates and a dual carriageway so I could sit in the car and watch the road as a driver without actually driving.  He also took my out at night for the same reason.  I didn't drive until I was confident in my corrected vision.

Rishile

You would have saved a lot of time if you'd just done the one trip to Barnard Castle.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Friday 29 May 20 18:24 BST (UK) »

Rishile

You would have saved a lot of time if you'd just done the one trip to Barnard Castle.  ;D

That would have been a 500 mile round trip for me.  Even outside lockdown that's a long eyesight test.  Or maybe not. ;D

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Friday 29 May 20 18:25 BST (UK) »

Another question for Gadget- what's the best site to see how the current infections are in the North East. I'm finding a certain North East newspapers reports a little frustrating.

This is the best official site for regional, and local info Candleflame:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/#category=ltlas&map=rate&area=e06000057

If you scroll down to the listing and map you can select Region, Upper tier or Local authority.

Thanks Gadget I knew you would know .
North East of England