Author Topic: General Discussion on Current Situation 2/  (Read 14943 times)

Offline derekwg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion on Current Situation 2/
« Reply #243 on: Sunday 31 May 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
Have you heard of the 4th Estate, Derek  :)

PS - I was reporting the results of an opinion poll of real people, carried out by a reputable firm, reported in the Mail, most other papers, online, on tele, radio and twitter.

Does it include the Dandy and Beano Gadget. 8)
Weaving...Rodborough,Stroud,Ruscombe.
 Browning...ditto.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Sunday 31 May 20 17:32 BST (UK) »
Maybe Guy needs to read this before he continues confusing people.  It could be awkward if you end up before the magistrates having as your defence "Well this guy on RC told me that the Highway Code was only advisory and he argued with such conviction (excuse the pun) that I believed him".   ;D
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Sunday 31 May 20 17:47 BST (UK) »

Does it include the Dandy and Beano Gadget. 8)

Not sure Derek. maybe Chicks Own as well  ;D ;D ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Sunday 31 May 20 18:35 BST (UK) »
Maybe Guy needs to read this before he continues confusing people.  It could be awkward if you end up before the magistrates having as your defence "Well this guy on RC told me that the Highway Code was only advisory and he argued with such conviction (excuse the pun) that I believed him".   ;D

Perhaps you should actually read what is written

“Many of the rules are legal requirements.”
That means some not all are legal requirements, i.e. you cannot be prosecuted for those which are not legal requirements.

“Such rules are identified by the use of the words 'MUST/MUST NOT'. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence.” That means we have included a short version of the law which makes it an offence if you do not do as the rule states.

“Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts … to establish liability”  That means if you do not comply with the other rules if you do break a Traffic Act requirement the fact that you broke the guidance in the Highway Code may also be used to add weight to the action of carelessness or recklessness etc.

For Example Highway Code Rule 4

“4
Young children should not be out alone on the pavement or road (see Rule 7). When taking children out, keep between them and the traffic and hold their hands firmly. Strap very young children into push-chairs or use reins. When pushing a young child in a buggy, do not push the buggy into the road when checking to see if it is clear to cross, particularly from between parked vehicles.”

The last part of this concerning a buggy means if you push the buggy into the path of a road vehicle you as a pedestrian could be prosecuted for causing a danger to other road users, the child in the buggy and the vehicle occupants.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Sunday 31 May 20 18:46 BST (UK) »
Derek, I've always regarded you as a good friend and still do. That M on S article is really not an argument that can be used to defend DC. Two wrongs don't make a right and DC has admitted that he did the same and more.

The father in 1st article may have become confused after PM's address to the nation about initial relaxation of lockdown rules 3 weeks ago.
2nd article proves that you can't believe everything you read.
Cowban

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Sunday 31 May 20 18:52 BST (UK) »

Perhaps you should actually read what is written

Guy

I presume as Greensleeves said she was a JP that she is well aware with what is written!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Sunday 31 May 20 18:57 BST (UK) »
I am totally fed up with all this argument about the Highway code
Does anyone not care that our daily number of new cases is around 2000 and does not seem to be going down over the last 10 days or so, despite what all the politicians keep telling us. Agreed it is not at its peak but it seems to be levelling out. The scientists tell us the true figure is 8000 PER DAY. Why are so many people being infected now, day after day? Where are they catching it? If they were staying with their households the infection should have dwindled to almost nothing by now. Why can't the politicians accept lockdown is being flouted on a large scale, a lot of people couldn't care less about social distancing. The police in England are powerless to do anything unless groups are larger than the statutory maximum as evidenced by the fiasco on Durdle beach yesterday.
And yet Boris is giving everyone more freedom from tomorrow.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:11 BST (UK) »
And still the morons do it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-52867140

added
and the BBC can't even get the owner's name right! It's WELD not Weald, the family have owned it since the 1600s.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:23 BST (UK) »
I am totally fed up with all this argument about the Highway code

You and me both!!

Does anyone not care that our daily number of new cases is around 2000 and does not seem to be going down over the last 10 days or so, despite what all the politicians keep telling us. Agreed it is not at its peak but it seems to be levelling out. The scientists tell us the true figure is 8000 PER DAY. Why are so many people being infected now, day after day? Where are they catching it? If they were staying with their households the infection should have dwindled to almost nothing by now. Why can't the politicians accept lockdown is being flouted on a large scale, a lot of people couldn't care less about social distancing. The police in England are powerless to do anything unless groups are larger than the statutory maximum as evidenced by the fiasco on Durdle beach yesterday.
And yet Boris is giving everyone more freedom from tomorrow.

Could it be because they're finally managing to do more tests so the numbers of people afflicted will go up? it would seem to me that a lot of these positive tests may well be of the kind showing no appreciable symptoms. Its concerned me for a while now that the numbers of deaths are staying pretty much the same from day to day. Okay, not nearly as bad as at the peak, but not going down so as you'd notice. I wonder if this is true of other countries like Spain and Italy or is it just us?

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.