Author Topic: General Discussion on Current Situation 2/  (Read 14949 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion on Current Situation 2/
« Reply #252 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:23 BST (UK) »
Of course people care about the number of new cases and I think most of us can see that we are being lied to by the Government, and that the true number of new cases, and probably deaths, is higher than we are told. The people who are flouting lockdown rule are obviously not those who are on RC or who use social media sites such as FB where people never admit to breaking them.

We have to remember that although we've been given more freedom, we don't have to take it. I for one, won't be rushing out to meet people. I may meet up with my sister and brother in law in their garden or in mine, but they, like me, have been staying at home, so I don't think we will be any threat to each other.

I just hope that Boris hasn't jumped the gun in order to please people. I realise that lock down has to be eased in order to support the economy, but there are some things, such as sport that could wait. I think the Government will find it much harder to introduce a lock time a second time if needs be!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:26 BST (UK) »
this seems to be a good comparison website

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:28 BST (UK) »
I am totally fed up with all this argument about the Highway code

I agree with you absolutely.  That is not what this thread is supposed to be about.  I think if Guy wants to  deflect attention from the REAL issues, then another thread on that specific matter would be a good idea.  I won't contribute; I am tired of trying to stop him confusing people with his obfustications. 

I agree with you absolutely that the real issue is the horrifying number of people who are testing positive on a daily basis,  and the fact that the figure of 8,000 per day is truly terrifying.  This really is not the time to relax restrictions. I am so glad I live in Wales where Senedd Cymru is taking a much more cautious approach.  Mind you, they don't have to try to take the antics of Cummings off the front page, so they don't need to rush forward with indecent haste.

I noticed Charlotte Church tweeting today, begging people not to send their children to school tomorrow.  I know if I had school-age children, I wouldn't be sending them.  Now is not the time.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:39 BST (UK) »
I'm glad I live in Scotland.
Cowban

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:40 BST (UK) »

And yet Boris is giving everyone more freedom from tomorrow.

But it's not mandatory to partake is it. The scenes shown at various beaches and beauty spots beggar belief. I'm certain that if we were to go to one of the places we are allowed to travel to, given the "lockdown" rules in Wales, and it was crowded then we would move on to elsewhere or return home.
Yes, Johnson is giving more freedom but he has also asked for people to act sensibly, or is that too much to expect or ask?. Sadly, for some it appears so. However, we have no intention of joining the headlong rush.
As for the SAGE scientists not agreeing on relaxing the rules, is anyone able to tell me what this august body of experts has actually agreed unanimously on?. I don't think there has been overly much and I think that is likely to continue.
In fact there is worldwide disagreement between scientists over how to deal with the problem China has inflicted on the world.
 :)

Re the above. Would that be Charlotte Church the world famous epidemiologist?.
Also, here in Wales the Senedd has seen fit to allow people from two households to meet up, either in a house garden or public place, whilst maintaining "social distancing". But then the number of people allowed to meet up is unlimited. I appreciate the number will be limited by the size of the households but nevertheless a couple of large households meeting up may prove problematic.
When Drakeford announced the new policy last week it was aired first on Radio Wales. I was struck by his phrase, which he didn't use later on television, "this is not an invitation this is a permission".
Well, thank you.
Furthermore, on Radio Wales, he was asked if people, when they meet up, could have a barbecue and a beer. In his best politician mode and his non-conformist disapproving  "Parch" voice he told us that "people should not undertake any activities which may lead them to put their and others health at risk". Not a straight forward answer but one which was accompanied by the fear, which many Welsh non-conformists have, that someone, somewhere, may enjoy themselves. A straight forward yes or no would have been better.
That's the trouble with us Welsh, we seem to have a pessimistic outlook on the world. It must be the non-conformism, or have we always been like this?.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:53 BST (UK) »
Increase in positive cases may be due to increase in testing.
The medical officer at briefing yesterday said there's so much we (they) don't know. He urged caution. I recalled the saying "hasten slowly" "festinate lente". (Feel free to correct my Latin.)
Lwyd, scientists give their opinions, politicians make decisions.

There are statistics from some survey suggesting that approximately 15% of Londoners and 5% elsewhere have had the disease. I can't remember source.
Cowban