Author Topic: Transferring audio cassette recordings to computer  (Read 917 times)

Offline jayaygee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring audio cassette recordings to computer
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 May 20 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the details, Angus.
BDF Twigg, Ellingham, Gates
BKM Bilbey, Collins, Brandon, Norwood, Smith
HAM Holloway (Romsey area)
HRT Brooks (Tring area)
LDN Saunders, Beedle
MDX Saunders
MLN Maitland, Robertson, McGlashan(all Edinburgh)
OXF Morby, Cross, Gardner (all Banbury area)
SAL Jones, Mathews, Higginson, Davies, Gobourn, Blount
WAR Pritchard (Birmingham)
WRY Dickinson, Atkinson, Mellon, Pritchard, Ashforth, Helliwell, Hague, Dungworth (all Sheffield area)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 May 20 11:00 BST (UK) »
Yes.  What is mono track, please?

Mono or Stereo, one track or two.  Track is the term used for a recording.
Have you got a Cassette Player ?  Has your Computer got a built-in microphone or do you have a plug-in microphone.  Do you have a mobile phone which has a ' Record Audio' feature?
Simplest way No.1
Play the Cassettes in a quiet room with background noise minimised or eliminated.
At the same time Switch ON your Computer Microphone or plug one in and place it close to the Cassette player's speaker.
Whilst Recording, Switch OFF your computer Speakers as they contribute Feedback and Electronic Noise.
Save the recording as a WAV file ( it may already be the default anyway).
Switch your Speakers back on and Play the Files.
If the results are satisfactory - all is fine.   If not, they can be IMPROVED by using the features in Audacity, but, you can also email the files as an attachment just like a picture file to any Rootschatter who has experience of Audacity.  I use Audacity to record Narrated Audio Books which must be up to a high standard and pass the ACX Test for submission to AMAZON's Audio Book Department.  It's a 5 step process to IMPROVE any spoken voice recording - I can do it for you, saves you from learning Audacity, which can be Daunting for a newcomer.
Simple Method No. 2 ... if you have a Cassette Player
Play the cassette - Use your mobile phone to record the interviews ... then upload, transfer, share or whatever from the phone to the computer by cable to Audio Input Socket or to a USB port, or Bluetooth or Wi-Fi or email the files to yourself.  Multiple choices there, eh!
Can't wait to find out which way you have chosen, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster. Proctor & Threlfall of Westmoreland and Lancs, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands. Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline jayaygee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 May 20 11:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Ian, for your very clear explanation.  I'll just have to find out what sort of microphone I have on my computer which my son assembled for me, so he will know, but he is very busy teleworking so I won't get a reply immediately.  Once I do, I'll give the first method a try.

I'll certainly let you know what I do and may need to take you up on your kind offer of help with Audacity.

Fingers crossed that the tapes still work!

Thanks again

Judith
HRT Brooks (Tring area)
LDN Saunders, Beedle
MDX Saunders
WRY Dickinson, Atkinson, Mellon, Pritchard, Ashforth, Helliwell, Hague, Dungworth (all Sheffield area)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 May 20 13:07 BST (UK) »
The BIG question is ... Do you have an Audio Cassette Player ?
You can find out if you have a built- in Microphone by going to Control Panel / Sound or Audio or Realtek Audio Manager and select whichever one of those you find and it will tell you all about your Microphone and Speakers set-up on you Computer ... presuming you are using a Windows Operating System but it's much the same on Apple and Linux or Android.
Do you have or can you borrow an Audio Cassette Player?
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster. Proctor & Threlfall of Westmoreland and Lancs, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands. Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline jayaygee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 May 20 17:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Ian, I thought I had answered your question.  Yes, I have an audio cassette player and also a radio with cassette player incorporated, both in working order.  However, I haven't tried to play the cassettes for some time and I understand they should really be unwound and wound regularly.

Apologies for not replying earlier - I have just had my first social contact, out of doors and with appropriate distancing, since the lockdown imposed in 17th March here in France. Lovely to actually speak face to face with a friend, though in our age group we still have to be very careful.

I will now look into the microphone question as you suggest, and I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again for all your help.

Judith

HRT Brooks (Tring area)
LDN Saunders, Beedle
MDX Saunders

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 May 20 18:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, beware Audio Tapes going slack and the wee wheels sticking, but you can insert a pencil or a Bic pen into the centre of each hole of the gear wheels in turn and make sure you don't UNWIND it or it might TWIST as you Re-Tension it again. Twist your pen/pencil for 10 turns unless you feel the tension too tight ... there is no lubrication required, just gentle patience.  Once you have done the manual bit, put it into your player, the mains powered on is best and press Play for 3 seconds, then STOP, then Reverse till it stops itself back at the start of the tape.  It won't hurt to do this a few times ... if you listen closely and hear screaming, stretching or stuttering SWITCH off and retrieve your cassette and Re-do the trick with the pencil.
What Operating System do you use on your computer?  cheers, Ian

Offline jayaygee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 May 20 18:34 BST (UK) »
Windows 10 OS.

Judith
HRT Brooks (Tring area)
LDN Saunders, Beedle
MDX Saunders

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 May 20 18:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Ian, I thought I had answered your question.  Yes, I have an audio cassette player and also a radio with cassette player incorporated, both in working order.  However, I haven't tried to play the cassettes for some time and I understand they should really be unwound and wound regularly.

Yes if cassettes are not rewound every so often there is a chance of crossover of the magnetic signal giving lower quality and in extremes loss of the recording.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 May 20 19:01 BST (UK) »
I'm on Windows 7 but here's a link to the Microsoft page which deals with finding and testing your microphone,
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027981/windows-10-how-to-set-up-and-test-microphones