Author Topic: Babingtons in Cavan County  (Read 870 times)

Offline JBabington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Babingtons in Cavan County
« on: Wednesday 27 May 20 19:36 BST (UK) »
I am attempting to trace my husband's lineage to find out if his ancestors were of the Irish Babington line or English, and I have hit a major roadblock. The farthest back I can find is William Babington, b. 1719 d. 1769, who had 2 sons, Thomas (d. 1808) and William (b. 1745 d. 1825), in Cavan County. Does anyone have any information regarding this line of Babingtons? My husband tells me that the family lore is that the Babingtons of Cavan had migrated there from England, but I can find no evidence of this. He also mentioned a fire that may have destroyed important documents, so this may indeed be the "end of the line". Thank you for any help you can offer!!

Jessica Babington

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
Re: Babingtons in Cavan County
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 May 20 20:02 BST (UK) »
I can’t really help with Babingtons but I do know that over the years I have seen the name William Babbington while I have been doing my research and I seem to remember I have read somewhere that he was a JP or a magistrate.
I googled the name and this came up:

https://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:William_Babington_(3)

Good luck in your quest.
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 May 20 01:11 BST (UK) »
Was there a Babington in the army of William of Orange?
Cowban

Offline JBabington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 May 20 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you to you both! I have found a few William Babingtons that fit that time period, but they seem  to have settled north of Cavan. I found this entry on "The Peerage" website:

"William Babington was born in 1694.1 He was the son of Captain William Babington of Urney and Rebecca Wray.1 He married Catherine Johnston, daughter of Reverend John Johnston.2 He died circa 3 February 1735.1
     He held the office of High Sheriff of County Donegal in 1722.1 He held the office of High Sheriff of County Tyrone in 1725.1 He lived at Greenfort, County Tyrone, Ireland.2 He lived at Urney, County Tyrone, Ireland.2"

This William Babington had no known children, from what I can find. There are so many scenarios that I can imagine where the William Babington who I'm looking for (d. 1769 in Cavan) was in fact this William's child, but of course it's all in my imagination at this point!

Thank you again for your replies!!

Jessica

Offline Jules123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 17:38 BST (UK) »
Not sure if they are related.

Offline Jules123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 17:52 BST (UK) »
I'm also researching Babington's of Cavan/Leitrim.