Author Topic: Mary Ann THOMAS marriage bef 1839  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann THOMAS marriage bef 1839
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Osprey and Kay,

I fell asleep in front of TV and its now midnight here. ;D

I made an 'assumption' about Edward's surname unfortunately and in making that assumption I have learned something new about birth certificate's in the UK [thank you Osprey].

There was no surname on the birth certificate for Edward.   ::)  The only surnames given are those for his mother and father.  Interestingly William Bowen SCOWCROFT's occupation on Edward's birth certificate was Farmer.

On marriage Edward THOMAS/SCOWCROFT said that his father was a Solicitor.  I have not located any instance when William's occupation was Solicitor although William's Father, James SCOWCROFT was a Farmer [Robleston] in the 1841 Census, in the 1851 & 1861 Census, an Attorney at Law [Haverfordwest] and at Death/Probate a Solicitor in Haverfordwest.

As to Mary Anne's marriage I had wondered if her husband was an older man however in the 1851 Census [in which she is with her husband William DEMPSTER] he is younger than Mary Anne being 28 and 31 respectively.   [Many thanks Kay  :)]  I note the couple married by Licence.

I found it interesting [in terms of William's achievements in Australia], that when William died in Australia there was no article in the newspapers of his passing however two of his brother's, who also died in Australia, were featured in newspapers and their achievements both personal and professional discussed in glowing terms.

Perhaps William was a bit of a lost soul who died unmarried in 1882 in regional Australia without anyone knowing much about his life?  In fact his remains lie in an unmarked grave.  The local Council responsible for the cemetery didn't have a record of where William's remains were interred.  But for the death certificate I wouldn't know where he spent his years nor how he financed his life here [a Carrier].

I don't have a copy of William's father's Will and am not sure if he left a Will.  On the Welsh Archives is written " Administration Will" ???  Does this mean there was a Will or that James' effects etc were managed through an Administrative process?  James SCOWCROFT was predeceased by both his wives.  I had wondered if a Will would shed much light on the family's attitude toward's William.

Now I must go to bed and before I do I thank everyone for their fantastic contributions to my search.

Westy

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 18:50 BST (UK) »
James shows up as a solicitor in adverts in the 1820s & 1830s and later.

Death of William's mother, she died as the result of being thrown out of a gig

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3326530/3326533/8/

Death of James in 1865 so too late for online wills
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4353062/4353067/29/

Ann Jennet, sister of James, applied for administration of her father's estate after the death of their mother although there is a PCC will in 1822.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01plk/
as she was the beneficiary of Elizabeth's will
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pll/

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 09:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Osprey.

Westy

Offline anitaf99

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 26 July 20 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hello,  Edward Thomas Scowcroft was my GG grandfather.  He was born out of wedlock to William Bowen Scowcroft and Maryanne Thomas.  William promptly left for Australia to be a mounted police officer and never returned.  When Thomas was born he was sent to live with relatives of his mother.  I have the records.  I have Edward's birth certificate.  So your information is correct.  He shows in the census living with a copper Smith.  Edward inherited what would have been his fathers share in the will.  He married Elizabeth Colegate and they lived in Lansawell.  Hope this helps