Author Topic: Mary Ann THOMAS marriage bef 1839  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann THOMAS marriage bef 1839
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 May 20 11:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks everyone.

Yes Osprey, Edward SCOWCROFT and Elizabeth COLGATE married.  Thank you for this as yet I haven’t located the marriage.  Where did you locate it please?

To clarify the baptism of Ann Dorothy it seems the maiden name was omitted as her mother's full name is Elizabeth Llewellin MILLARD.

What I find very interesting is why is Ann aged 4 months living with Thomas LLEWELLIN?

To date I haven't been able to locate Ann Dorothy's baptism in FindMyPast which is curious whereas you located it on FamilySearch which is wonderful.  Thank you also for the 'interesting' spelling of the surname SCOWCROFT.  Perhaps that's the issue in that I haven't used the correct variation??  Nonetheless thanks so much for your efforts.

Very very much appreciated.

I have ordered Edward's birth certificate from the GRO. 

Westy

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 May 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
It's in the usual place for parish registers from Wales, FindmyPast.

I think 2 different Ann Scowcrofts have been mixed up here. The one on the 1841 census in Robeston Wathen is aged 3 months if you check the enumerator's return instead of the transcript. The 1841 census was 6 June, so if she was 3 months old she is not the child registered as Ann Dorothy Scowcroft in the sept qtr of 1841.
You would not expect the maiden name of a mother in an Anglican baptism unless the mother was unmarried which this one wasn't. The marriage was 18 April 1841, on FreeReg as well as FindMyPast and the baptism 14 June 1842. 

1841 Market St, Haverfordwest HO107/1450/2A folio 11 pg 16
George Millard 47 surgeon
Caroline 18
George 16
Augusta 14
Amelia 12
Louisa 9
Francis Scowcroft 22 surgeon's assistant
Elizabeth Scowcroft 20
Ann Llewhellin 24 fs
all born in county

Not sure why you can't find Ann Dorothy's baptism, it's there in 1842. On FreeReg as well.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 May 20 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Osprey,

Thank you.  I have never before looked at the enumerator's return and will do so from now on as I seem to have made an assumption.  ;D ::)

Have found the baptism and will look for the marriage of Edward SCOWCROFT as I have not as yet progressed that far.  :o

As to the 3/4 month old Ann SCOWCROFT; I have ordered her birth from the GRO because the only SCOWCROFT's in Wales are mine so I am curious as to her parents and also why she is with Thomas LLEWELLIN especially as Elizabeth Llewellin/Llewelling MILLARD is also Llewellin.   ???

Many thanks once again Osprey.

Westy

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 May 20 14:32 BST (UK) »
where did you find the birth reg for the Ann in Robeston Wathen? She is unlikely to be the Ann Dorothy registered in Haverfordwest. She was 3 months old by June 6. You have 42 days to register a birth. Sept quarter covers births registered from July 1. She would appear to be nurse child.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/RobestonWathen

The Llewellin is part of George Millard's name and several of his children have it as a middle name.

Elizabeth was baptised 30 Oct 1825 in Slebech, daughter of George Llewhellin Millar, surgeon, & Ann of Haverfordwest. Same day as her sisters Mary Anne aged 4 & Caroline and her brother George Llewhellin.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 May 20 15:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Osprey. :)

As to the 3/4 month old Ann SCOWCROFT recorded in the 1841 Census who is living with Thomas Lewellin/Llewellin & his wife Ann; i may have inadvertently confused matters. 

To be clear the only Ann SCOWCROFT whose birth was registered in Haverfordwest as per the census record and in the specified timeframe that I could locate was Ann Dorothy SCOWCROFT.  In interrogating the GRO there were only 3 Ann SCOWCROFT's whose births were registered in that time frame; the other two were registered in Lancashire.  Lancashire is where the Welsh SCOWCROFTs originated.

Another reason I purchased the birth certificate is that whilst Ann Dorothy SCOWCROFT may well be the daughter of Francis John SCOWCROFT & Elizabeth Llewellin MILLARD she may be living at Robeston Wathan as a nurse child.  Perhaps her mother is unable to nurse her ???

I am still curious as to why Ann is with the LLEWELLIN/LEWELLIN folk and the reality is that I may never know.  However having the birth certificate will sort it in my mind.  As you correctly identified Llewhellin is Ann Dorothy SCOWCROFT's mother's middle name as it is for her maternal grandfather George Llewellin MILLARD and other family members.  As you suggest she may well be a nurse child.

Thanks heaps for your input.  Its very helpful.

Westy

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 May 20 15:18 BST (UK) »
I don't think the cert will help. How can she be on the census aged 3 months before her birth was registered?
She could be an illegitimate child who is later under her mother's surname.

:-\

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 May 20 16:00 BST (UK) »
True.  Yes I see what you mean.

Thank you.

Westy

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 May 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
in the same way as Edward Scowcroft disappears between birth reg and marriage. She could be a sister.

1861 census has George Ll. Millard's place of birth as Manorbier. Baptism 4 Feb 1794 for George Lewhelling, son of James & Jane Millar. FindMyPast have indexed it as Llewhelling.
Same parish, James Millar married Jennett Llewhelyn 1 May 1793

George Millard of St Twinnells married Ann Beynon 6 March 1821 in Walton West

Wouldn't mind being on the beach in Manorbier today!

:)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 May 20 16:58 BST (UK) »
Its all very curious Osprey. 

Just had a look at Manorbier and it looks very pretty.

The beach is very different to the ones we have here in Australia.

Lets hope restrictions will lift one day when its safe to travel and I will get to Wales.

Westy