Author Topic: Any descendents of Massey C. Medearis who have had their DNA tested?  (Read 931 times)

Offline Nick93

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any descendents of Massey C. Medearis who have had their DNA tested?
« on: Thursday 28 May 20 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, still fleshing out my great aunt and uncle's family tree. Lately I've been doing some research on the Medearis family of Essex County, Virginia. This tree goes back to John Medearis (born 1704) and his wife Rachel Davis.

John and Rachel had 6 children, all of whom except their firstborn son seem to have had families of their own. These are: Abraham, John, Sarah, Charles, Rice, Massey C., and Oliver.

According to his Revolutionary War pension application, Massey C. states that he believes himself to have been 77 years old at the time of the document (born around 1752), but he was informed that the family record of his birth had been destroyed.

https://xpda.com/family/Medaris-MasseyChrisman-ind02747.htm

According to this site, without source, it mentions in passing that John and Rachel adopted Massey.
https://xpda.com/family/Medaris-Charles-ind01558.htm

There is some contention about what the C. in Massey C. Medearis stands for. The only time it was ever properly spelled out was in 1790, in an Orange county North Carolina will for John Jenkins where Massey is a witness, and it calls him "Massey Christmas Medearis." Most sources I've seen online say Christmas was a phonetic mistake, and his middle name was actually "Chisman" as Rachel Davis' grandmother was possibly a woman named Jane Chisman.

Having said that, I had been given access by a second cousin to his father's ancestry DNA results, and looking up surnames, both Medearis, and Christmas, in Virginia, I found that the only Medearis descendants he connected to at higher than 12 cM (which I understand is considered the baseline for assuming shared ancestry within the last few centuries) were descendants of Massey C. Medearis. There is one descendant of Captain John Medearis, Massey's brother, at 15cM, but all the other descendants I've found of Medearis family were in the 7-9 cM range.

Meanwhile, I looked up connections to people with Christmas ancestors in Virginia, and found seven people; one in the 26 cM across one segment range, one in the 20 cM range over 2 segments, one in the 18 cM range across one segment, one in the 17 cM range, one in the 16 cM range, and in the 13 cM range, and one in the 12 cM range over one segment, all descended from a Thomas Cross Christmas and his children, who, looking him up, lived from 1690-1769 in Hanover county, Virginia.

http://www.ancestraltracks.com/books/tchristmas_page.html

It looks like he had 6, possibly 7 children (a potential son, Richard, according to this family page, who pre-deceased him, but seems to have reached adulthood and married an Elizabeth), and one of the sons, John, lived in Orange county North Carolina, the same place Massey C. was apparently living when he bore witness to John Jenkins' will.

I don't know what source the Medearis website was referencing when they said Massey was adopted, but I'm curious perhaps if he was a son of one of Thomas Christmas' children? Would DNA show that far back for a common ancestor from 1690-1760-odd?

I know middle names weren't astronomically rare, but I've heard they weren't particularly common prior to the revolutionary war. None of the other children of John and Rachel have middle names, only Massey. As for the name Massey, there is no known family relationship there, but according to a legal paper, John Madearis had a neighbor by name of John Massey, and there was also a Massey family living in Hanover county where Thomas Christmas and his family lived. Other than that I can see no connection between the Madearis and Christmas families for them to give that middle name to their son, unless Massey was a child of a Massey and a Christmas and adopted by the Madearis family due to a closeness with neighbor John Massey. Maybe I'm just confused, and the middle name really was Chisman all along, though I find Chisman corrupting to Christmas a bit of a stretch. I know it's a long shot, but is anyone on here a descendant of Massey C. Medearis? If so, have you had your DNA tested and come by any similar result?

Offline djj6110

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Any descendents of Massey C. Medearis who have had their DNA tested?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Henry Knott and Elizabeth (Medearis) Knott are my 4x great grandparents.  I am looking for information on Elizabeth's parents.  The Medaris-MasseyChrisman webpage you reference lists Elizabeth as the daughter of Massey with an unknown first wife but does not list a source.  I did find in 1784 "Justin Knott proved a deed from Andrew Hannah to Massey Chrismas Madearas for 200 acres of land dated the 21st of April 1783."  This is found on Family Search, North Carolina court records Minutes, 1781-1868, Guilford County film #008152370 image 62.   My family has DNA on most sites.  Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Offline djj6110

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 May 21 16:51 BST (UK) »
I recently found when looking at Essex VA wills the will of John Massey who died in 1757.  John left his estate to his nephew "John Medearis" and John Medearis is the administrator.  If I interpreted some further information correctly, this will was a copy.  At a later point it appears that John Medearis was being accused of destroying the original will of John Massey.  Also listed in the will were John Clarke, administrator with John Medearis, "my kinswoman Margaret Clarke" who was to share an equal share with his nephew John Medearis, "my kinswoman Mary Moody" who now lives with me.  Witnesses to the will are listed as Lewis Montague, Betty Montague, Anna (Shepard) Dillard.  This will is on FHL film #007645972 image 515 and is dated 19 Jul 1757.  It lists their location as the Parish of South Farnham.  At a later point (FHL image 008151853, image 131) Robert Clark and Margaret, his wife, with Mary Moody appear to be suing John Medearis, John Yarrington & Richard Chrismus.  There are limited records for South Farnham Parish.  I found this interesting as it does show a connection between the Massey and Medearis name as well as notes a familial connection with designating John Medearis as the nephew of John Massey.  Does anyone have knowledge of any of this?  If John Medearis is a nephew, then John Massey's sister possibly married a Medearis?  Any thoughts?  I am descended from Elizabeth Medearis who married Henry David Knott.  I am trying to find a record of this marriage as well as documentation of Elizabeth being the daughter of Massey.  I have seen others list her as the daughter of Charles.  Any sources or leads would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 April 24 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm investigating my cousin's paternal connections to an American civil war soldier
From north Carolina

Out of curiosity I typed in surname MEDEARIS. In DNA search on ancestry & he does have distant matches who trace back to this couple
Thru their son John 13cm.
Another 2 thru daughter Sarah J 18cm & 11cm.

The links to the daughter may have another connection because shows as being from our maternal side

I think the connection to the son
Could be thru DAVIS. Side
I'm blocked at Sarah QUEENSBURY 1777 who married James S DAVIS

+ I can't imagine How any of the descendants came to have a baby in Yorkshire England around 1850

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson