Author Topic: Too many people with same surname.  (Read 415 times)

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Too many people with same surname.
« on: Thursday 28 May 20 11:44 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate any help with a family history problem. Trying to sort the wheat from the chaff in a way. I have an ancestor from Germany in my tree  however , there are many men with the same surname ?. So i have hit a brick wall . "Can anyone advise me on this common problem?". Thanks.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Too many people with same surname.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 May 20 13:14 BST (UK) »
Trace your origins through the Female lines :P
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 May 20 14:50 BST (UK) »
I use a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. There are others and free one available.   

Although it can be customised any way you want, I generally use - 

Date / Event / Person 1 / Person 2 and so on, as the headers. I put the formulas in so that Person 1 (or 2) gives the age at the time of the event. For example - 

1-1-1900 / Birth / -10 / 0 / ----- Minus 10 because Person had not yet been born and 0 for Person 2 
1-1-1910 / Birth / 0 / 10 / ------ Person 1 is born and Person 2 is now 10 years old.

So if I have a baptism for a person x in the year 1905, I know that it cannot be Person 1 as they had not been born yet. 

All sorts of other events can be added in. I used it once to sort out the children (cousins) of two brothers. The brothers had two businesses and the children were either employed by or apprenticed to the other brother and living in their house.   

It also gives a very handy timeline of all the events in a single family. Through the use of the spreadsheet, I discovered that a grandmother was claiming to be the mother of three children - she was 60, 61 and 62 at the time of their births. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 May 20 15:10 BST (UK) »
Depending on dates and where they lived and how many with the same name there are:

Find them all on each censuses to compare ages/year and place of birth/ occupations/ who they married / their children's names, and follow each of them through.

If you have your direct ancestor's birth certificate depending on date, it should give parent's full names. Work back from that to find the marriage between the parents, and find the family on the censuses.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 May 20 16:18 BST (UK) »
I do something similar to kiltpin, but drawn out by hand on a large sheet of paper (usually A2) simply because it suits me better than on a computer. I can "see" the overall patterns better
I head columns along the top (landscape format) something like: DoB/ Bap & Ch/Parents / Other info/Marriage / Death / Burial / 1841 / 1851 / 1861 / (etc as appropriate, or customised)last column always "Notes" for stuff you cn't fit anywhere else sensibly.
And going down I have a "line" for each possible individual. I document as many firm references as I can find for each individual of that name, along their timeline.
The always helps to eliminate quite a lot when I have them firmly alive when "mine" is dead, or in a different county, etc. I started doing it when wrestling with an overabundance of Newbold/Newboulds in Derbyshire, and have used a similar system since.
It's easier to do than it is to try and explain.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)