Author Topic: James Clarke & Sarah Burgess marriage 1857  (Read 309 times)

Offline ozranga

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Clarke & Sarah Burgess marriage 1857
« on: Thursday 28 May 20 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I am in need of the parents names & birth/baptism of James Clarke.
James Clarke, born c 1823 Sydney, was married to Sarah (Garnet) Burgess on 22 June 1857 at Marulan NSW (reg Goulburn 1857/1770.)
James & Sarah lived in Charleyong/Braidwood.
James died in Nowra in 1905 & Sarah named his father as James, occupation shopkeeper.
I have not found a birth for him, so before I send for a transcription of the marriage, does anyone have access to this marriage record & so supply his parents names.
T I A
Marienne
Smith, Corrigan, Hart. Walker, Mellett, Bridge, Brew , Nelson (Liverpool)
Smith, Parfrey, Corrigan, Conway, White (Cork. Ire)

Online Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Clarke & Sarah Burgess marriage 1857
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 May 20 14:53 BST (UK) »
A database that I have seen names father as James and mother as Phoebe RANSFORD.

Essie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 May 20 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

1857 it is very likely that there will be missing information on the NSW BDM official record and I suggest that if you want to save some pennies that you seek out an official transcription rather than the real deal certificate.   The missing info is likely to have been withheld by the clergy when submitting summary info to the civil registration process.  The full information will likely be on the church registers... 

Detailed background info is on a rather long thread I prepared quite some time ago, but if you seek out the official transcription, then you have a starting point if there are any elusive blanks. 
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=546609.0

There are excellent resources listed at RootsChat's NSW Resources board : https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369703.0   It is a sub-board of the Australia Resources : https://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/

I will have a look through my offline resources to see if I have anything on James Clarke  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 May 20 00:57 BST (UK) »
A google search came up with this research in the UK.
https://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:Phoebe_Ransford_(2)

Essie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 May 20 00:59 BST (UK) »
A google search came up with records in the UK.
https://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:Phoebe_Ransford_(2)

Essie

Something's amiss...  I clicked on that link and got the following message :

Person:Phoebe Ransford (2
Person Talk
Edit
What links here
more▼
Watchers
no watchers
(There is no information for this person. To create the page, click the Edit link at the left. Get help editing person pages.)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Online Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 May 20 01:04 BST (UK) »
Okay, to access that link try "Phoebe Ransford" in google.

Essie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 May 20 01:09 BST (UK) »
https://www.geni.com/people/Phoebe-Ransford/6000000000183045835  this is a submitted tree, and they have Phoebe as born 5 August 1774, Tettenhall, Weddinhall, Staffordshire, and death 12 January 1840, in Staffordshire as the wife of William WATKINS.   NO mention of a James CLARK/E or of New South Wales...

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 May 20 02:30 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I am in need of the parents names & birth/baptism of James Clarke.
James Clarke, born c 1823 Sydney, was married to Sarah (Garnet) Burgess on 22 June 1857 at Marulan NSW (reg Goulburn 1857/1770.)
James & Sarah lived in Charleyong/Braidwood.
James died in Nowra in 1905 & Sarah named his father as James, occupation shopkeeper.
I have not found a birth for him, so before I send for a transcription of the marriage, does anyone have access to this marriage record & so supply his parents names.
T I A
Marienne

Can you please check the  likely year of birth for your James….   I think the following chap is likely to be him, but he was a tad younger than your post suggests.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/118247725 Goulburn Herald 16 Oct 1858

In 1858, when arriving at Goulburn Gaol:

168 (annual No.) / 1792 (Standing No)
Jas CLARKE,
born in the Colony, Sydney, was aged 32.   He was 5 ft o˝” slight stature, dark complexion, black hair, dark grey eyes, and could read and write, a Protestant, a Shepherd,  He entered Goulburn Gaol 29 October 1858 for trial, found NOT GUILTY, discharged 14 January 1859.

End of Oct 1858 - 32 years = 1826ish  ;D  So many NSW males named James CLARK/E ... very popular surname.  :)

JM

Online Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 May 20 04:55 BST (UK) »
Very unreliable research that does not make sense on some submitted trees!

Essie