Author Topic: Oswestry: does any remember this house?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Oswestry: does any remember this house?
« on: Thursday 28 May 20 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone
This is a bit of a long shot but thought I’d give it a go... many years ago, perhaps 40, my father showed me the house where his grandmother had lived. Her name was Sarah Ann Wright (born in the 1880s) and she was the daughter of Joseph Wright.

My father believes the house was situated at the top end of Whittington Road just before you pull out on to Gobowen Road, by the railway bridge. It was a small double-fronted Victorian house. We went yesterday to have a look but the house we both remember wasn’t there. I looked on an ordnance survey map 1888-1913 but couldn’t see the house on this either. I questioned my father and he is certain it was there... I remember seeing the house and remember the bridge but I cannot recollect any other detail.

Does anyone remember an old house at the location described above being demolished?

Many thanks - Jay
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Oswestry: does any remember this house?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 May 20 14:53 BST (UK) »
I found a very detailed map on old maps uk https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/ but as I am not sure where I should be looking I am not sure if what I can see is a house, or some other structure.

It seems quite small, and is on the southern side of the road intersection you mention.

If you go to old maps, enter Oswestry into the search box, the map I am referring to is the first one on the list on the left hand side -: OS Town Plan 1874-1875.

This structure doesn't appear on any other maps on old-maps or on any of the NLS maps. It could relate to the railway rather than being a dwelling.

Do you remember seeing a railway bridge or was it a bridge over a stream? Were your family living there in any census? If so, that might help you work out where the house stood.

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 May 20 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

Thank you very much for your reply, Ruskie... dad reckons it was very near (a few meters away perhaps) the Railway bridge which you have to drive under before you reach the end of Whittington Road and pull out on to Gobowen Road. Behind the railway bridge now seems to a disused petrol station.

I found Sarah Ann Wright living with her family at Sellatyn on the 1891 census.  Her father Joseph was a gamekeeper.
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 May 20 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayson  :)

As you know, I was born and brought up in the area but I can't visualise the house at the moment.  Was it on the road just coming out of Oswestry and just before the turn off ti Whittington? If so, I think the railway bridge was after the junction on the Whittington road itself.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 May 20 15:33 BST (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 May 20 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

There are some old photos of Whittington Road here
http://www.oswestrygenealogy.org.uk/album/whittington-road/

and Gobowen Road...
http://www.oswestrygenealogy.org.uk/album/gobowen-road/

Not sure if they will help.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 May 20 15:34 BST (UK) »
Do you think the house used to stand where the abandoned service station is?

According to the map I mentioned above there were very few old houses in that area - only Bridge Terrace on Whittington Road near the rail bridge.

Was the house detached or part of a terrace?

In case the street was wrong but the railway bridge was a landmark you remember, if you go further down to Middleton Road, there are some old double fronted houses near the railway bridge there:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8579048,-3.0504601,3a,75y,12.45h,71.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdMD-9jmzfQzdDNvtqCK3pw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Perhaps the house is later than Victorian built?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 May 20 15:39 BST (UK) »
If you click on my Google street view in earlier post and go under the brigde, you'll see lots of undergrowth/overgrowth and some old buildings, but they don't look like houses.

I can't remember seeing a house of that description when I traveled to Oswestry about once a week in the 1950s and 1960s.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 May 20 15:44 BST (UK) »
I wonder if it would be worth contacting the Oswestry History Group.

https://obhag.org.uk/

Add - or   https://en-gb.facebook.com/oswestrynewsandgossip