Author Topic: martine wolson  (Read 434 times)

Offline robinislander

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
martine wolson
« on: Friday 29 May 20 16:57 BST (UK) »
(Sydney) James (Lionel) Martine married Susan Wolson in September 1934. He was 18 at the time and she was 16. He lived in Kensington and she lived in New Malden. He proposed in 1933 and she refused but accepted his proposition the following year. (Sue) Susan's mother was a widow, and had decided to go on a cruise to Australia before the engagement was announced. So the couple decided to cable her ship the Strathnaver asking for her consent. Sue's father was dead, and so were both of James parents. The reply came back that if Sue's aunt and brother agreed, the wedding could go ahead. They refused permission. The couple threatened to elope to Greta Green and the brother and aunt backed down, so James and Sue went to the Kensington registry office but the registrar refused to marry them. The couple went to Islington where they were again refused, then to Norbiton to be met with another refusal. They went to see the Registrar General who issued a licence to be married in Wimbledon but the priest refused as they were not in his parish. They then went to the Brompton Oratory from where they were referred back to their original registry at Kensington where they were told they would have to live within the boundary for 15 days. This they did and were married on September 15th.
My Query is the newspaper article refers to the bride being Susan Wolton whereas the register gives the name Hilda (EHN) Wolson . Wolson is the correct name which appears in Kellys Directory but I cannot find a birth for either a Hilda or Susan Wolson, or a death of a Hilda or Susan Martine anywhere.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: martine wolson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 May 20 17:18 BST (UK) »
Have you already eliminated this birth?

Births Jun 1918
WOLSEN    Hilda E   
mmn Riggs   
Islington    1b   377

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 May 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
A Sidney & Suzanne Martine went to South Africa  24 February 1938 on the Umvuma, could this be the same couple
Address 44 Trelawn Gardens, Mill Hill, his occupation Sales Organiser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robinislander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 May 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
I hadn't considered the birth of Hilda Wolsen as I was looking for initially a Susan Wolton as per newspaper reports but I think you could be right. Thank You

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 May 20 20:18 BST (UK) »
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 May 20 20:43 BST (UK) »
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 May 20 08:19 BST (UK) »
Indexed on the South Africa archives:
http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300dl
(choose "RSA")

Some sort of court case, 1952 - Sydney Lionel James Martine vs Hilda Elizabeth Large

Also a judicial separation of Hilda Elizabeth Large (born Wolson, formerly Marine, also known as Suzanne Large) from Cyril Victor Large in 1965 - again showing her known as both Hilda and Susan/Suzanne!

I can't work out where/when she married Cyril or where she went after 1965, though.

Solomon H Wolson married Violet L Riggs in 1916
Hilda E Wolsen mmn Riggs born 1918
I think the brother was Alec Sidney Wolson born 1908 (from Solomon's first marriage which ended in divorce)

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
Solomon Wolson aka Sidney Wolson died 1933 - probate to widow Violette Wolson and to Alec Sidney Wolson
Alec Sidney Wolson died in 1937 - probate to Lena Mary Jackson, spinster
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk