Author Topic: George Payne 1811-1875  (Read 821 times)

Offline Julie Wedlock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Payne 1811-1875
« on: Friday 29 May 20 18:36 BST (UK) »
My GGGrandfather was born I believe in either Stotfold or Biggleswade and he married an Elizabeth Brown. So far so good, but the problem is I appear to have two lines of enquiry now going back from his father and not really sure which one is correct.
The first one I found is Richard Payne born 1793 in Houghton Conquest, Bedford who married a Mary Seabrook which seemed to tie in ok. Then because I got stuck a bit further on, went back and found another Richard Payne born 1763 in Stotfold marrying a MARY Dear. So first names ARE correct but not sure which pair are actually Georges parents. I don't want to continue on too far before I check this out. The first pair were quite young when they had George but thr second pair states there were three children and Sarah was the oldest born in 1804 which makes her parents in their 40s when they had her. Anyway any help to untangle this most grateful thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George Payne 1811-1875
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 May 20 23:14 BST (UK) »
The marriage was pre-1837 so how do you know his fathers name was Richard?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 May 20 03:14 BST (UK) »
The marriage was pre-1837 so how do you know his fathers name was Richard?

I'm guessing as the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census all say born Stotfold in c1811, and there is this baptism at Stotfold:

28 Jan 1811, George PAYNE, son of Richard and Mary

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 May 20 06:12 BST (UK) »
Family Search has the following children born to Richard and Mary Payne of Stotfold. John 1801,  Sarah 1804,  Ruth 1806, and George 1811. IF they are all in the same family, it would seem to eliminate  Richard Payne, b 1793, as the father.

You say Sarah was the "oldest" of Richard  and Mary (Dear)'s three children. How do you know? Do you mean first born or last born?  Even though that Richard would have been 48 when George was born, do you know his wife's age? Which of the two families might  Ruth belong to?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 May 20 06:28 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast Marriages (transcription only)
Ric Payne & Mary Dear, 9 Oct 1788, Stotfold

Note - unable to find the marriage of a Richard Payne and Mary Seabrook

FindMyPast Baptisms (transcriptions only)
Parents named Richard Payne and Mary, baptismal place Stotfold

Anne Payne, 22 Nov 1789
Anne Payne, 8 May 1791
Thomas Payne, 31 Mar 1793
Elizabeth Payne, 5 Nov 1797
John Payne, 12 Jul 1801
Sarah 12 Jan 1804
Ruth, 18 Jul 1806
George, 28 Jan 1811

Found the baptism (FindMyPast transcription) of Richard Payne, 10 Mar 1793, Houghton Conquest, parents Richard and Sarah.
Can you give details of the Payne/Seabrook marriage?

Offline Julie Wedlock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 June 20 18:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone but I am not sure where I first got Mary Seabrook as the wife of George because I have now back-tracked and cannot see her at all and so must be Mary Dear.
I knew on the census where they come from but mainly its because all my original work was done on Genes Reunited and I didn't have the full package but I was convinced of my working then. I had also been to Bedford Records office at the time but that was a while back. I then joined Ancestry this year mainly to do my DNA but of course I set a tree up for both mine and my husbands lineage.
This where Mary Dear first shows up...and of course I don't just take the word of it and so looked through all the information on there and what I had but got more and more confused.

But now I have checked Seabrook and like you say there isn't a marriage or anything although their ages work better with George. I only had him on my original tree, Ancestry gave me the other siblings.
Mary seemed too old to have had George, she would be about 57 (born 1753) and Richard born 1768 but that also varies between 1763-1768 I think but would need to check that

Anyway thanks but I think I have put you all on a wild goose chase and I apologise.