Author Topic: Diary > Friday 29th May  (Read 850 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 29th May
« on: Friday 29 May 20 22:43 BST (UK) »
Me again, going for the hat trick. If I leave it till the next day I get it muddled up, all days have so many things the same.

This was the first day since 18th March that I haven't been for my daily walk.

My friend brought me some bread this morning as I'd screwed up on my supermarket order. Who knows the weight of a loaf? Well I do now, the full size one is 800grammes. Why can't they just put small or large? The one I'd had delivered was a small one, went nowhere. We were talking at a distance on the drive, I pointed out an aeroplane vapour trail that looked like a heart in the sky, it was in the local paper later, they seem to be struggling for news.

My art teacher had arranged a class Zoom meeting, I hadn't used it before but had set it up a few days ago in preparation on both my laptop and phone. Unfortunately the rest of the group couldn't see me on my laptop but could hear me. I then had a go with my phone, they could see and hear me but I couldn't hear them so ended up watching and listening on my laptop and trying to hold my phone so they could see me. This evening I've altered some of the settings on both laptop and phone so hope it works better for the meeting next week.

Long phone call with a friend then lunch. It was really hot when I went outside, set my chair and Kindle up but despite wearing very little I was too hot. But hooray, nasty neighbour had gone off with her daughter again so I did some more repair work to the garden mess. Still pulling out loads of dead twigs and leaves, I can't get any more in the bin. Hung some more trellis, it's a bit of a bodge job to be honest but not all that bad and won't show if and when the ivy grows over it. Hot and sweaty when I finished so shower and hair wash again.

Took some time to clear up the kitchen after tea, watched some TV. Another lovely day forecast tomorrow. Haven't heard from my friend about the beach walk, we shall see. Read in the news today that the council will be reopening the car parks and public toilets on Monday so that should take the pressure off the parking situation and other things of course!

Hope things have improved for everyone.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 29th May
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 May 20 23:28 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear you've had a quiet day in your garden without NNN!
You've been so good with your daily walks you put me to shame... especially since OH is back to playing golf 2/3 times a week our walks together have gone out the window.... at least now I could go with a friend from the village...

Regarding your Zoom experience on your lap top... presume you've got a camera on it and you did click on the video icon on bottom left so you can be seen and when requested to join you did so using video as well as audio?
Just a thought as when we did our investment club meeting some were having trouble because they hadn't chosen right options...

Today's diary...

Woke to lovely sunshine and  the birds were trilling away such a lovely sound... clear blue skies... I bet that will change by next w/e when we can get together with family in the garden!

After breakfast sat in the conservatory and finished my book...
Did some housework... but not too much!
OH baking loaves... hope they're ready by lunch time!
The whole house smelt of baking bread... wonderful slightly later lunch as wasn't allowed to cut it until cooled down a bit.... tasted devine...
Made my own hummus and added some paprika... quite hot ...

had a chat with coordinator for the district I'm in for making scrubs... she's sending me out fabric and  thread. In total they've had over 6,000 metres of fabric donated , some from local Rotary a great deal from Chris & Noah Evans trust..

we had a game of scrabble outside... put up big patio umbrella as too hot in the full sun .... I won yippee now score 11-7 to O.H...

Did some sewing..

Motor bikes driving OH up the wall been dreadful every day this week so he phoned police again third time now... actually got given an incident number and promise they'd send someone out... fortunately they were screaming up the road whilst he was on the phone and officer could hear said it sounded awful..... yes it dies that's why he's phoning!!! ..interesting it quietened down somewhat after his call... either they appeared or sent message out to say a complaint had been made as we know that some of them are off duty police!
Dinner was salmon and loads of vegs sat outside
Watched some tv early bed OH playing golf at 7.40am tomorrow.... good luck I'll still be in bed!

More hot sunny weather over the w/e... hope everyone enjoys it... still have to stay safe and careful though...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 May 20 00:39 BST (UK) »
Today was Grandparents' Day!
A.M. van drew up outside front window belonging to son of couple opposite. It was there a while - grandson was brought to visit. Previous visits during last 10 weeks consisted of parents in their doorway, son & grandson(s) at gate of tiny front garden.
Too hot for outside except for 15 minutes in early evening for vitamin D. Little girl across back lane saying bye to grandpa. Also conversation sounds from garden directly opposite mine so they may have had visitors too.
 A neighbour in my row + his brother-in-law constructing something so a bit noisy. The b-i-l has visited other days this week to help. I assume that they remain 6 feet apart, separated by whatever they are hammering & drilling.    :)
Cowban

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 May 20 10:46 BST (UK) »
Glad to know the pain is easing Viktoria.

Roobarb, I think it is those big thistles that are favoured by peacock butterflies.... I once saw a patch with several dozen butterflies sunning themselves. A sight I shall never forget.  :D
Also, along the top row of your keyboard should be small function keys... between Esc and Delete. They are "toggle" buttons, and by pressing once, can turn on and off such as camera and microphone.... Perhaps that will help sort out your zoom meeting?

In Torbay our car parks and some toilets were open for last w/e, but even so, just yesterday during our evening walk around the lakes, which was very quiet and peaceful, I was confronted by a young man emerging from the bushes doing up his trousers!

For the day time, same old, same old, interspersed by:
1. My sunflower seeds have sprouted.
2. Although I did not request it, my repeat prescription was delivered to me.
3. I enjoyed a video chat with a friend before lunch.
4. Picked up click and collect grocery order for neighbour in flat below, who is in her 80's.
5. Took some more paperbacks to some housebound friends.

Hope everyone here can get above their pain and worries to enjoy a bit of down time in the sunshine.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 May 20 13:43 BST (UK) »
News Quiz today, ( Saturday)someone suggested that The Sex Pistols should record the Chinese National Anthem, seeing as how new regulations have been issued re due respect!
There will be no  Trooping the  Colour so The Royal horses have been furloughed to Melton Mowbray, you know - where  the pies are made. ???
Now Carry on up the Khyber is on, and the Third Foot and Mouth Regiment
with Charles Hawtry, Syd James , Roy Castle, Kenneth Williams,Joan Sims.
Aaaah, they don’t make them like that anymore ,( some might say and a good thing too!)
Humour is so good and British humour is the best I think ,the little things that would go unnoticed by some, someone has just banged a gong and the retort was “ That is rank subordination”,( J.Arthur Rank)
 I am listening whilst sewing .
The story starts with Charles Hawtry wearing woolly coms under his kilt, it will be downhill all the way now!
But still, The Wigan Missionary Society are there now ,Peter Butterworth it’s leader  is just now, even as I speak “reforming “an exotic dancer!
I must get back to my sewing as the innuendos are coming so fast I can’t keep up with them.

Viktoria.
Cheerio.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 May 20 13:46 BST (UK) »
If you enjoy the Carry On crew there is nothing quite so funny!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 May 20 14:00 BST (UK) »
Well they were very politically incorrect ,sexist and rude but still there was a lot of humour and I have just laughed out loud,it was “Wigan”,
Of all the places, Wigan !
No disrespect but it is a laugh in itself almost on a par with Ramsbottom and there’s nowt wrong with Ramsbottom!
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 May 20 15:10 BST (UK) »
Such a cast.... all copies look naff.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 May 20 15:24 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, I've had mixed success with Zoom. First occasion was OK once I'd adjusted sound level. It was a substitute for a conference. 2nd & 3rd were family history tutorials. I got locked out when I tried to adjust sound for first one. I told the organiser and she sent me the link to the video on U-tube. Logged in for next one - all I could see was my huge face, no sound or vision so I gave up. It was oversubscribed and the "room" was full apparently. I was sent a message later that day about a repeat the same evening but I didn't see the message until it was too late.
Caroline, can one participate in zoom meetings just by audio?   
Cowban