Author Topic: West Norwood Cemetery - Hennings - Mary & Charles Frederick  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: West Norwood Cemetery - Hennings - Mary & Charles Frederick
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 June 20 02:06 BST (UK) »
The UK Land Registry holds the documents but on a quick trial, I couldn't see how to get any info without paying. I don't think it was built specifically for her, as if you drive down that end of the road on Google Maps, you'll see they're all the same design. This is why I suggested there might be a builder's advert in The Times.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline aussie researcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 June 20 03:22 BST (UK) »
I don't mind paying if I have to, as long as it gives me the historical data back to the beginning.
I'll have a look at UK Land Registry.
Oh, now I'm confused about so many different Land Registry places advertised on Google.
What is the right one to use?

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 June 20 05:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, you do have to watch what Google gives you for anything related to government services, as the ones at the top are often private companies which charge a premium over what the government site does, even when the latter is free! I expect there are Australian firms doing the same. I think the site you want is www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry It has a lot of links to follow (which is how the premium sites justify their existence). You need to find out whether they have the very original title deeds. Any close to No 78 will do if all you want is the date and builder, though obviously you'd really like to see Mary's name and signature. Have a root around, but as I've never done this, wait for someone who has to reply before spending any money. It may be better to start a separate topic on a more general Rootschat forum -- the Common Room if nothing more obvious.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 08 June 20 05:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Chris
I will do, plus I'll start a new topic, I'm way off the original track now.
Thanks for your help and all the other people as well.
I look forward to a photo of the grave when that is possible, there is no rush.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 08 June 20 14:37 BST (UK) »
With the recommendation by Chris:

The Times  - Thursday,  June 15 1865
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 June 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
I'm told that it is indeed an area of posh graves but there are a lot of them, some covered with debris from overhanging trees obscuring the inscriptions. I'll send you (aussie researcher) a PM giving my e-mail address for a copy of the map in the hope it'll narrow the search area.

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 08:54 BST (UK) »
Just as an aside in connection with the house at 78 Thicket Road, Anerley. There is mention of the address for the Tanner family. Their 3 sons attended Dulwich College. Details here for one of the sons, Thomas Lanfear Tanner https://dulwichcollege1914-18.co.uk/fallen/tanner-tl/

Chris, do you think the reference to 78 Thicket Road is correct? You mention there has been renumbering a few times on the road
78 is correct. That side of the road, at least, was only renumbered the once. The next directory I have after 1892 is 1896, showing William Burbridge Tanner, solicitor & commissioner for oaths. I think he's the one whose death was registered in Croydon in December qtr 1929 as directories 1931-35 say Mrs Tanner. All 3 sons are named on the Penge War Memorial.

At the risk of starting another "aside", an interesting find in the 1939 directory is a Shalom Home for Jewish Children next door at No 76, with 7 redacted entries in the 1939 Register, presumably the children. I havem't investigated further, but Kindertransport springs to mind.

Local directories did not resume after WW2 and the electoral rolls thereafter show these large houses in multiple occupation.

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 18 July 20 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi aussie researcher and Chris

Did you manage to sort out a photo for the possible gravestone?

I can visit the cemetery as it is local to me, if that is any help.  The section does not appear too badly overgrown (well, it's nothing like parts of Nunhead cemetery!! - Chris will know what I'm talking about).

Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 July 20 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi aussie researcher and Chris

Did you manage to sort out a photo for the possible gravestone?

I can visit the cemetery as it is local to me, if that is any help.  The section does not appear too badly overgrown (well, it's nothing like parts of Nunhead cemetery!! - Chris will know what I'm talking about).

Gaie

Hi Gaie,
Thanks for your message.
I have now obtained photos of where the Hennings grave would have been. Sadly no longer there.

I do have other family graves (Druce) to explore that are ? close by if your visiting the Cemetery any time. Send me PM if this is something you might be able to do.

Thank you
Aussie Researcher