Author Topic: Looking for information on Charles Dickey of Millmount  (Read 3497 times)

Offline JonMay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on Charles Dickey of Millmount
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 June 20 13:00 BST (UK) »
Ah - finer details I would never have thought of. The info came from another researcher, a descendant of Clara. She said she had seen "Clara's Will and Probate". Also that she had visited PRONI in Belfast, though I would have to ask her if it was at PRONI that she has seen the will. But in any of the possibilities you have described, I would deduce a close connection between Clara and her cousin Edward. I can't think of how else he might have ended up as either the beneficiary or administrator. Would he have had to be nominated by Clara?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 June 20 18:58 BST (UK) »
If Clara didn't leave a Will then anyone could have applied. When and where did Clara die?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JonMay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 June 20 22:35 BST (UK) »
1891--At St. Heliers, Jersey, Death of Clara, dau of the late Charles Dickey of Millmount, Randalstown, and widow of David M'Creigtht of Gilford, Co. Down.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 June 20 00:53 BST (UK) »
Probate abstract:

7th October 1891

Letters of administration (with the will annexed) of the personal estate of Clara M’Creight late of Norman House St Aubins Rd Jersey Widow who died 23 Feb 1891 at St Helier Jersey were granted at the Principal Registry to William Henry Ward of 3 Upper Crescent Belfast Esquire one of the Universal Legatees in Trust.

http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/home.jsp

The Principal Registry was in Dublin. Its records prior to 1904 were destroyed in the 1922 fire in the Public Record Office. However in some cases duplicates exist (eg kept by a solicitor) or in this case possibly in the Jersey Probate Office.
Elwyn

Offline JonMay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 June 20 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Elwyn! I guess that the Dickey cousin could be a beneficiary, as my other researcher claims. I'll have to get back to her and ask where/how she came to that belief.
Searching in your will calendars link brings up no results (because of the fire you mention?)

PS The same info that you presented above popped today up as a hint for Clara on ancestry.com
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/details.jsp?id=1639498759

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 June 20 09:27 BST (UK) »
It’s important to spell the name as you see it, ie with M’. M’ is the original version of Mc or Mac. Not in much use these days but it was standard in the 1700s and 1800s. If you can’t get it to work, just enter her forename only leaving the surname blank. Specify 1891 as year of death. Only a handful of Claras come up and you should see her easily enough.
Elwyn

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 June 20 23:46 BST (UK) »
Yes, the apostrophe has a rich history.
Its graphic is strictly upright.

Its two immediate cousins (acute & grave) are a tad more tiddly!
Normally used as diacritics (meant to be written as modifiers above underlying characters) they can also appear as separate characters in their own right.

Particularly so as outputs in transcribed texts.
Especially in computer-graphic-scanned/automatically-"interpreted" productions.

Check out Unicode.org, or NOT!
The standards evolved with the years, and implementations (e.g. ISO character tables) varied across computing platforms (Apple, Microsoft, DEC, IBM, BELL "UNIX"...), creating a huge cross-industry reconciliation problem of the versions levels.
[I worked alongside international language experts at Rank Xerox International once.
 Mind blowing stuff.]

The Republic within Ireland banned the use of the "grave" diacritic within Irish Gaelic in 1948.
[No doubt inspired by the rationalisations of the "English" language effected much earlier in the USA.]

I recall chasing a "M'" record once (which I "knew" must be in the online record) to no avail.
Then I put on my "alternative thinking" cap, and tried the "grave" character.
Top left of the keyboard. Bingo!
[Simpler method nowadays, supported by most browser searches, just use a "?" or two, or "*".]

I used to tease my erstwhile old mate, Mr. McHale, that he couldn't take the Mick out of me.
[I'm descended from an O'Hale!]

-----

Alternative record resource is the Tenison GROVES archive at PRONI.
He was a Record Agent (sort of legal secretary) based in Belfast.
He travelled to Dublin and transcribed many relevant records relating to folks in the North.

His productions are held/indexed (transcribed?) by PRONI.
They are also available on LDS microfilms.
A few are typewritten, but many are in awkward-to-interpret scriptive writing.

-----

Interesting to see your links with the Channel Islands.
Then, as now, 'Twas a lovely place to live, and also a tax haven!
Ideal place for pensioners (annuitants) to retire.
['Tis why major manufacturers, with links to the continent (e.g KEILLER marmalade, of Dundee), migrated their operations to there. Superb hub from which to access the furthest reaches of "The Empire".]

We had DIGMAN mariners/victuallers in St. Peter Port on Guernsey till around 1865.
Don't know why they went there.
[Though I did find two records of ships sailing direct from Guernsey landing cider at Belfast in the 1790s.]

Pip pip!
Capt Jock

WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline JonMay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 June 20 00:30 BST (UK) »
It’s important to spell the name as you see it, ie with M’. M’ is the original version of Mc or Mac. Not in much use these days but it was standard in the 1700s and 1800s. If you can’t get it to work, just enter her forename only leaving the surname blank. Specify 1891 as year of death. Only a handful of Claras come up and you should see her easily enough.

Thanks for the tip Elwyn. The apostrophe in M'Creight was indeed flagged as an invalid character. But leaving out her surname didn't pull up any likely candidates. I've contacted my other researcher, who married a McCreight, and await a reply.

@ Capt Jock "... he couldn't take the Mick out of me."   :D  :D