Author Topic: Looking for information on Charles Dickey of Millmount  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on Charles Dickey of Millmount
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 June 20 06:12 BST (UK) »
It’s important to spell the name as you see it, ie with M’. M’ is the original version of Mc or Mac. Not in much use these days but it was standard in the 1700s and 1800s. If you can’t get it to work, just enter her forename only leaving the surname blank. Specify 1891 as year of death. Only a handful of Claras come up and you should see her easily enough.

Thanks for the tip Elwyn. The apostrophe in M'Creight was indeed flagged as an invalid character. But leaving out her surname didn't pull up any likely candidates. I've contacted my other researcher, who married a McCreight, and await a reply.

@ Capt Jock "... he couldn't take the Mick out of me."   :D  :D

I had no difficulty in finding it again just now. There are 6 Claras who had probate granted in 1891. Yours is the 2nd on the list.
Elwyn

Offline JonMay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 June 20 04:23 BST (UK) »

I had no difficulty in finding it again just now. There are 6 Claras who had probate granted in 1891. Yours is the 2nd on the list.

Nope... still not finding her. So just to make sure that I'm filling in the search boxes correctly.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 June 20 09:32 BST (UK) »

Nope... still not finding her. So just to make sure that I'm filling in the search boxes correctly.

Try your search here: http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/index.jsp

The will is not in PRONI will calendars.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 June 20 10:21 BST (UK) »
Jon,

I mentioned the will was at the Principal Registry in Dublin (i.e. not Belfast, Armagh or Londonderry which are the records PRONI has). And I gave you the link to the Principal Registry site!

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline JonMay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 June 20 02:54 BST (UK) »
Jon,

I mentioned the will was at the Principal Registry in Dublin (i.e. not Belfast, Armagh or Londonderry which are the records PRONI has). And I gave you the link to the Principal Registry site!

Elwyn

So you did  :-[ I've been accused before of 'looking for love in all the wrong places'  ;)

Offline JonMay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 15 June 20 03:31 BST (UK) »
Full will
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/wr/details.jsp?id=IRE/ORIG/WILL/REG/19072

Thanks Dathai. Bam! There it is. And no mention of cousin Edward Dickey. Clara's 3 grandchildren are the beneficiaries. AND I've just received a reply from my McCreight researcher who says, more or less, "Oops, I was mistaken. It was Clara-the-grand-daughter who left her estate to Edward Dickey".

Anyway, I've gained some new research sources from everyone during this exercise. I need the practise in using them :D