Author Topic: Shielders  (Read 3040 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Shielders
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 06 June 20 11:12 BST (UK) »
They do indeed keep changing things, Dorrie.
But even the WHO admits that there is not really sufficient evidence for their use.
My daughter is currently making cotton ones for all the family, will collect ours tomorrow when we visit.
Will await further developments before purchasing any masks. There are some medical grade ones which shouldn't impact on the NHS. But if the recommendation is taken up by the government, the over 60s and vulnerable will need them as much as the NHS. We need to ramp up production in UK, rather than relying on overseas supplies, applies to all PPE.

If I do need to buy a medical grade mask at any time, I certainly don't want to use disposable ones, there is enough litter already about.

What I am unsure about is, both WHO and British government are at pains to stress that they are for protection of others and not the wearer, yet the WHO has said that the over 60s and the vulnerable should wear medical grade masks. Doesn't appear to make sense.

Follow the link above and some very useful instructions on the use and misuse of masks/face coverings.

Regards Margaret

Modified:

From PDF at previous link -

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

"The use of medical masks in the community may divert this critical resource from the health workers and others who need them the most. In settings where medical masks are in short supply, medical masks should be reserved for health workers and at-risk individuals when indicated."
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 06 June 20 11:18 BST (UK) »
Just as an aside.

Due to pre cancerous skin lesions removed a few years ago I am very careful of the sun from May to October.

As well as sunscreen, I also wear a large sun hat, even if cloudy, and dark sunglasses as well when the weather is sunny. Add a mask to that, and nobody will recognise me!!

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 06 June 20 16:17 BST (UK) »
Yesterday at the briefing  government said that face coverings would be compulsory for hospital visitors, also that NHS staff would have to wear masks at all times from 15 June.

Yesterday WHO organisation also changed it's advice - everyone should wear masks where physical distancing cannot be achieved.
Over 60s and vulnerable should wear medical grade masks.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

It seems nobody warned NHS trusts. Interview with NHS trusts representative this morning - I could almost feel the anger through the radio. It's the second time in a week that announcements have been made by a minister without prior consultation with NHS organisations which will have to carry them out. He said GPs were receiving phone calls on Monday from people who were being shielded asking for advice after announcement last weekend.

Where does it say over 60s and vulnerable should wear medical grade masks? I thought the point of wearing a face covering is to protect other people.
I have a hospital out-patients appointment next week (Scotland).
Cowban

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 06 June 20 17:47 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone, It is not advice from our government, but advice from WHO, that mentions the over 60s. If you click on the link, then download the PDF, it is on page 7 of 16.

Settings where physical distancing cannot be achieved and increased risk of infection and/or negative outcomes -
Vulnerable populations:
• People aged ≥60 years
• People with underlying comorbidities, such as cardiovascular disease or diabetes mellitus, chronic lung disease, cancer, cerebrovascular disease, immunosuppression
Purpose of mask - Protection
Type of mask - Medical mask

Regards Margaret

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 22 June 20 18:03 BST (UK) »
I expect some of you saw the latest daily briefing.
Shielding is to be eased in early July, and 'paused' from August, in England.

I would feel very hesitant about this if I was shielding, and expected to return to work.

Regards Margaret

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 04 July 20 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Apologies everyone I owe a reply about anything. I’m only just getting back to this

I’m shielding and have the latest letter

However if there were more??

As far as non medical ones are concerned they are for other people  So a hundred thousand and one people each protecting the other one hundred thousand where distancing isn’t possible is better than not even if not perfect

If someone coughs or sneezes by me I’d like to be protected

That’s not the full story though. There are problems with children, breathing difficulties, bad practice etc

I would find it very difficult with my condition but I’ll try and keep out if it bar the odd appointment

Take care

Emms

Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas