Author Topic: Shielders  (Read 3032 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Shielders
« on: Sunday 31 May 20 07:42 BST (UK) »
It has been widely reported in several papers that shielded people, that is the extremely vulnerable, will be 'allowed' out from tomorrow, with one person from their household, or one person from another household, socially distanced.

They have been allowed to make their own decisions about this all along, it was advice, not a legal matter. However, the advice has been very clear and consistent -

If you’re clinically extremely vulnerable, you’re strongly advised to stay at home at all times and avoid any face-to-face contact to protect yourself.
This is called ‘shielding’ and the advice is:

Do not leave your house.
Do not attend any gatherings, including gatherings of friends and families in private spaces, for example, family homes, weddings and religious services.
Strictly avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19).

The Government is currently advising people to shield until 30 June 2020 and is regularly monitoring this advice.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

If this is announced this afternoon as reported (who leaks this sort of thing to the press!), I wonder how many of them will take advantage of it. Cooped up in a tiny flat - maybe. But what a time to bring it into action, when so many other restrictions are being lifted, the rate of infection likely to go up, however slightly.
More people about, larger groups of people to avoid, more people going back to work and school.

If I were on the extremely vulnerable list, I would be very hesitant about stepping out of the front door at this time, would have been safer a few weeks ago.

This afternoon's briefing could prove interesting.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shielders
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 May 20 11:04 BST (UK) »
I was declared “extremely vulnerable” 23 March by text. In the letter received after the text It states,

“Get out into your garden or sit on your doorstep if you can, keeping a distance of at least 2 metres from others”.

That is what I have been doing in the garden around my block of flats. The only people I have seen in the last 10 weeks are my neighbours, we wave to each other and say “hello”, the gardener, and two friends who bring my shopping, one stays for a chat staying about 4 metres from me.

I have now got to being frightened of going out of the end of my drive not because of the idea of catching coronavirus but because I’m frightened of going into what is now the unknown. I’m 69 and for 48 years have lived alone and have never been frightened before but then I’ve never been inside for more than a week before.

I’m upset even writing this. I’m not even sure what the new reported “advice” means so I’m waiting for some clarity.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 May 20 11:49 BST (UK) »
The link provided above is the governments advice, it will no doubt be updated soon after any announcements.

It will still not be clear, but will remain a personal choice.

I too am on the list, at 79 and with a compromised immune system.
I have exercised my personal choice and been out already, only going places where I can guarantee to maintain social distancing.

Wait for the guidelines to be updated.

Mike

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 May 20 12:01 BST (UK) »
Gibel, please don't be down hearted,  can you speak to friends by phone or email?, my daughter set up WhatsApp,  keeps us in touch, though she doesn't often use it, a friend comes through once a week, it is a good way to keep in touch,  even to have a laugh about our bad hair days!

One good thing is the  weather, if it had been raining we would feel really down but thank goodness the weather has been reasonable

It won't last for ever Gibel,  keep your spirits up

I have been out armed with mask and gloves doing all the right things and keeping well away

Take care

Louisa  Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 May 20 12:07 BST (UK) »
My husband is on the vulnerable list, and whilst i didn't receive the official letter, i consider myself to be just as vulnerable. So we haven't gone beyond the garden gate for 10 weeks. Outside contact being limited to chats with neighbours or passers-by over the garden wall at a suitable distance.
We are looking forward to be able to go for a longer walk than is afforded by our garden for exercise. But we will avoid the supermarket or anywhere else that might be even remotely busy!
And i am busy making the masks that I thought wouldn't be needed for a few more weeks!
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 May 20 15:42 BST (UK) »
It has been more difficult for those who are Shielding and their household members during Lockdown.

Shielding was mentioned in the Scottish Government update today at 2.30. As far as those Shielding in Scotland are concerned there is no change at the moment. They will have to continue as they are for a little longer.

Take care everyone we will get there eventually,

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 May 20 21:38 BST (UK) »
And i am busy making the masks that I thought wouldn't be needed for a few more weeks!

A mask is to lessen the risk of you infecting someone else with whom you may come into contact e.g. in a shop or on public transport. I assume you won't be using either.  There's no reason to wear a mask outdoors. Advice will be that you can go outside in public with 1 other person, maintaining required distance.
 As you have been secluded for 10 weeks the chances of you being a carrier are approximately nil. Therefore you are a risk to nobody. You don't have to sit up all night finishing your mask.
Relax and breathe fresh air.   :)
Cowban

Online Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 May 20 22:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, I know it is highly unlikely I will infect anyone with or without a mask.
But the more people who wear a mask, the more "normal" it will be to wear a mask so more people will wear one. And so less infection spread from those that are likely to be carrying the virus.

I have made 3 masks -- 2 for Mr Marma as the first one did not fit well and one for myself (which could still do with a bit of tweaking for fit but will be OK for now
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 June 20 22:03 BST (UK) »
A non-medical face mask doesn't do a great deal to protect you from the coronavirus. The size of any virus compared to the pore size is so miniscule it's basically not there.

You'd be be better getting a bucket of kippers and pinning them to yourself before going out. That way people would avoid you.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.