Author Topic: William Hewlett and Mary Norkett of Bath (late 18th / early 19th century)  (Read 261 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hello,

My ancestor Jane Hewlett, the daughter of William and Mary, was baptised on 18th November 1804 in St. James, Bath. I have identified seven siblings born between 1799 and 1813. Jane's three older siblings were baptised in St. Swithin's, Walcot; her four younger siblings were baptised in St. James.

The baptism record for the youngest child shows that William Hewlett was a book-keeper and that the family were living in Bradley's Buildings.

I have cautiously assumed that my William is the one that married Mary Norkett on 27th February 1799 in St. James. Both were "of the parish" and neither had been married previously.

I'm not getting anywhere with records available on Ancestry and FreeREG in my attempts to identify their parents, etc.

The only WH in the right time-frame was baptised in the Broad Mead Baptist Chapel in Bristol in 1775. 

Robert and Jane Norkett had two children baptised in Bath Abbey in 1766 and 1770, but I have found no record of a Mary.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin