Author Topic: An Australian mystery  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
An Australian mystery
« on: Sunday 31 May 20 14:55 BST (UK) »
I have in my possession a couple of bibles belonging to my father. One has an Australian address written inside the back cover - Ryan Street (and a house number), Footscray, Victoria W11.

Thereís a date written in the front of the bible, 28.4.47

Is it possible to find out who was living there around that date?

Thanks
Lisa

Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Smith, what happened to her?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: An Australian mystery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 May 20 15:35 BST (UK) »
The Australian electoral rolls on Ancestry allow you to specify a year (the closest are 1943 or 1949) then move on to select district and subdistrict.

You then end up with alphabetical lists of names. I imagine it will be quite a task to go through all those listed, and there is no guarantee that the any person found with that address in either 1943 or 1949 was also there in 1947 (unless they were there in both 43 and 49, then you could assume they were also there in 47.)  :)

I'm afraid I don't know what district Footscray would have come under in that era. Someone local might know.

It seems strange for there to be an address but no name in the bible, unless the address was a public building or some such place where books might be shared. Have you looked on google maps, though the area is likely to be much changed over the years?

Added: reading your post again - I can understand the date at the front of the bible is possibly the date it was given to someone. Having an address but no name inside the back cover makes me wonder if it was not the address of the owner of the bible, and might have just been a doodle by someone who didn't have a piece of paper to hand. Just speculation without seeing the writing.

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 May 20 16:22 BST (UK) »
Iíve looked on google maps, the address currently seems to be a private residence, although Iím not sure that the property dates back to 1947.

There are some other notations in this bible which may or may not be relevant, Iíll see if I can get a scan.

Iím thinking was it a relatives address? Dad had been in the Navy but I cannot recall him mentioning Australia. He was born in 1931, would he have been old enough to join up in 1947? Or someone he met during his Naval service? I donít have his naval records; his three wives are still alive, I think there might be some debate as to which of is the next of kin!

Itís a Church of Scotland bible and weíre Bristolian born and bred, so how he came by it is another mystery. He has neatly printed his name in it though.  ??? ???
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi - what is the house number?

M

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 May 20 20:13 BST (UK) »

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 May 20 20:29 BST (UK) »
There's this person in a will dated 1946

'...and Bernard John Bourke of 6 Ryan street Footscray laborer the executors....will dated...1946...'

1947 'Advertising', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), 2 October, p. 15. , viewed 01 Jun 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article22511258

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 May 20 20:52 BST (UK) »
Bernard John Bourke is at a different address in 1949, and Ancestry doesn't seem to have electoral rolls between 1943 and 1949, so it may not have been him there in 1947.

M

Online majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 May 20 23:58 BST (UK) »
I understand that Find My Past Australia has the 1946 Electoral Rolls for Victoria.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 June 20 00:11 BST (UK) »
Thatís a real puzzle Lisa. My father was also born in 1931 - he was too young to be in WW2.  :)

Is there a date of publication in the bible?

Do you have any family in Australia? It makes sense for it to perhaps to have been a gift from family. If, to your knowledge, your father did not go to Australia, could other family have done so and brought it back for him? Possibly during WW2? 

Is the address or date written in your fatherís handwriting?