Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 31st May  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 31st May
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 May 20 20:27 BST (UK) »
I've begun a new thread and asked for posts to be moved there.
Viktoria, we set off from outside school singing "Faith of Our Fathers". I think of it as the battle hymn of the Catholic Church in England. I think your men confused Whit Walk with Empire Day.
Cowban

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 May 20 21:41 BST (UK) »
No, it was Whit Monday, maybe it had been a patriotic song when Britannia really did rule the waves  and Germany was trying to oust us from that position,early 1900’s.
But as I said, patriotism /Nationalism came  through even on a religious occasion.
Mostly it must be said by people who did not attend church anymore .
I suppose that was.bigotry.
It wasn’t the Whit walkers who sang.
Empire day was May 24 th and Whit week was a moveable feast ,depending on when Easter had been, which is also a moveable feast .
Very occasionally it was close to Empire day as this year.
Cheerio, Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 May 20 21:47 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone, glad to hear you're okay now, hope the DIY project quietens down!
PharmaT, hope your daughter is a bit more relaxed about her school work now that she's successfully completed her assignments. And here's hoping you get a better night's sleep tonight.

Diary:

Usual walk, was midday by the time I went, surprisingly quiet considering what a lovely day it was. Home for lunch.

Things came to a head this afternoon with nasty neighbour. She had heard me getting my garden chair out of the garage and called to me from the other side of the fence. She asked me if my security camera was pointing at her garden, I told her truthfully no, it points at my garden  Not sure how we got from that to other points, I'm not much good at relating conversations in the right order, especially if it's upset me but I brought up the fact that she had killed most of my ivy and my clematis and that she was making my life a misery. She initially denied chopping it and I told her that I had removed two bins full of dead stuff that she had cut off and there was still more I couldn't fit in the bin, all from a plant that had been there for over twenty years. Then she said she wanted to just remove it from her side and didn't know she'd killed it. What tosh, how could chopping through lumps of it at one side not kill it, she couldn't miss the massive amount of dead stuff hanging all over the fence. She kept saying that she just wanted to know about the security camera, I offered to send her some footage but she said she was happy with my reassurance that it wasn't pointing at her garden. She asked if I'd put it there in case she did it again and I said yes. Throughout she kept telling me that she was being calm and reasonable. Playing to the audience if you ask me, everyone was out in their gardens, she would be making me out to be the baddie. I must admit my voice was slightly raised, I was so upset by all this, I did also want anyone listening to know the truth of what had gone on so had no intention of keeping my voice down. She did actually apologise eventually for killing my ivy and clematis and asked what she could do about it. I said nothing could be done, I'd just have to wait for it to grow again. Call me cynical but I think she was still playing to the audience
After all that I just sat trying to read in the sunshine but couldn't settle. A few hours later I came in and rang my shopping friend, she knows all about what's gone on. She said at least it might stop now that things have come to a head. I certainly hope so, I'm not only sick of it but also sick of hearing myself going on about it.

I hope I can report back tomorrow without any more of this. Hope everyone has been enjoying the sunshine.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 May 20 22:31 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, such people have their every move worked out before they start!
As you suspect she will have played to the audience.
Hence the “ offer “ of some restitution!
You have done nothing wrong .
Had she been a reasonable person she would have spoken to you and explained she would like to clear the  ivy etc from her side.
You could both have worked out where to cut and where not to cut.
But hardfaced people get their own way  first and explain later.
Sorry to be a wet blanket but you are not daft and already suspect her seeming reasonableness .
But be careful the where your camera points , I wonder if there are laws about such things ,privacy etc.Be assured she will know!
Anyway she knows now so absolutely no excuse for any similar behaviour on
her part.
Photograph and date it now, and do that from time to time in case she does anything similar again.
Oh neighbours.
Some are gems and others!
Hope you get some sleep ,it always helps .
Cheerio.Viktoria,
P.S. Don’t worry about sounding off about it, it is not all you have to say .

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 May 20 22:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Viktoria, I completely agree with your comment about how a reasonable person would have spoken to me about it first, I'm pretty sure she just did it as an act of spite anyway. When she turned down my offer of a copy of my camera footage I downloaded it anyway as it shows the date and time stamp and proves there is only my property in the picture. If she changes her mind about wanting to see it she can't accuse me of moving the camera after she asked me about it. It's stored with my photos of the damage.

Your kind words are much appreciated.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 May 20 23:04 BST (UK) »
Oh dear.... no-one gets a really good day after having a disturbed night!

Sorry you have had yet more unpleasantness from your NNN Roobarb.

My Sunday has been a bit like the curate's egg... much of it the same in most respects as it has been since lockdown began. A beautiful bright morning and a walk, then SiL came for a cuppa - no hugs and the balcony door wide open.

I had a little dabble around on Ancestry which has been available to me via my local library, and discovered another 2 pairs of 5x great grandparents. The records from Germany were very detailed, unlike early England records where it seems the women often didn't merit a mention by name.

After tea out for our evening walk we suddenly came across a duck with 2 tiny ducklings scurrying along the promenade. Heaven knows why they were there and the smallest one really looked exhausted trying to keep up with mum.  We herded them back towards the pond, and had to enlist the assistance of some young people in the park who were marvellous.  Suddenly the mother duck flew off the path and up the slope in the wrong direction and the 2 little ones couldn't climb the wall to follow her so we had to pick them up.  The bigger one made a lot of cheeping, so I carried it to the pond, and waited until mum arrived at last, when we were able to put the little ones in the water with her. What a relief. And what a privilege.

A bit of a mixed bag on TV later. And so to bed. Hope everyone sleeps well.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 May 20 23:43 BST (UK) »
Oh dear Maiden Stone sorry you had a bad night... I did have a little smile when reading about your neighbour and Noah's Arc... bit much on a Sunday though... we've had someone cutting paving slabs today with electrical devise and it's been going on for about Two years now.... not every day fortunately but feel sorry for their direct neighbours...

Pharma sounds like your daughters a very organised young lady and well done to her for being so diligent in these trying times... good for her..

Roobarb- what can I say... at least now you've had words with NNN it's out in the open you've got it off your chest, she's realised she's upset you and hopefully you'll be able to draw a line under it and feel more comfortable about going out in your garden.... what a dreadful woman she sounds.

Viktoria as always has very sound advice and I do just love reading  all about days gone by as you paint such vivid pictures ... you are a breath of fresh air..

Mowsehouse- what a lovely experience with the duck and it's little ones and nice some youngsters helped out too...

Today's diary

Once again a joy to see brilliant sunshine and clear blue skies, making the most of it I took my breakfast ( rather late one today) outside with the papers and sat in the sunshine... but got too hot so had to come indoors...

Well our phone hasn't rung so much in the last few weeks as it did today... mostly for O.H .....
Our daughter phoned and after our discussion yesterday they've decided before this sunny weather breaks they're going to come up to see us with the boys.... on Tuesday.... can't wait to see them all it's been over 3 months!

They don't need to come in the house to get to the garden so that's fine, we've lots of shade so the boys won't get too hot and they can access the toilet from outside and we don't have to use that one... so all good... we'll have a BBQ easy to use disposable plates/ napkins and she's bringing cutlery etc for them! We can go down to the local fields where they can run around with the football... apparently they are beside themselves about coming up... as are we! So glad we have a large garden where being at distance isn't an issue.
Spent the a/noon doing the ironing and some sewing...
BBQ for dinner...
Watched some tv, Antiques Roadshow, Killing Eve...
To bed for a read

Hope all is well with everyone tomorrow and a better day

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 June 20 00:54 BST (UK) »
Oh ducklings!
There is a pond, well a mill lodge where I lived until recently.
Ducks on it.
I saw my daughter across the road one evening as she went to her friend’s.
A man at the  bus stop said “ Here, take this ,I just found it, and my bus is here”
Into my hands he put s newly hatched duckling.
No sign of the mother,we had no idea how it got on the other side if the  road to to the pond.
I took it home ,fed it crumbs and put it in a bobble hat in a little lidded basket ,then hung that behind the freezer where it would be warm.
I was working at a School for children with educational and behavioural difficulties.I had to take it to school with me .
They called it Daffy Duck .
We reared it but it was so tame I believe it had not seen its mother and was probably imprinted on the man who picked it up but adjusted to any person.
The day came when we felt it ought to be with its own kind,so we took it to the pond,but had flown “ home” and was waiting for us at our house.
So we took it to another pond not far away, there were anglers there and it settled by one ,eyeing the maggots he had.
However it stayed there and was popular with the anglers as it was so friendly
There was a group of residents who looked after the water fowl on the second pond and one came some time later to tell me that Daffy had a brood of nine ducklings ,so that was alright .
But what a privilege to have that experience.
Now to the diary— what a hot day !
Number two son phoned to see if all was well.
I assured him it was .
Neighbour who gave the Tea for One box asked if she could add to her Asda
list for tomorrow’s delivery .Asked for a few things.
Had a really nice tea. thin smoked salmon dry fried, added a little pot of frozen finely chopped spinach and some single cream,pepper, had new potatoes and green beans with it.No need for salt ,salmon has enough.
Had offer of lift to visit people inShropshire  with whom I used to live,well the daughter. When all this is over,from a neighbour.
She said we could do it there and back in a day ,but I said no, we would stay the night, if she did the driving I would see to food and accommodation.
I will offer Petrol too. Only fair. It is too much in a day as there are the people she will want to visit and my person. Who are  related.
She agreed so I am looking forward to that.
Aren’t people kind!
Why are some so unpleasant ,like  Roobarb’s  neighbour?
Weren’t the scenes at beaches shocking, and for the Lifeboat crews and Coastguards to come under criticism is dreadful.
Heath / moorland fires at Daren near Bolton.
Fire crews asking for people to dispose of disposable barbecues responsibly .
The idiocy of some people!
That is why I think to ease the lockdown now will be dangerous, just a little
more time would have been better.
Some people will always flout the rules.
Goodnight everyone,well good morning ,(Morse is  on)
Viktoria.

to

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 June 20 08:08 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you had a nice Sunday Viktoria and Caroline. Lots to look forward to. :D

I do love your stories Viktoria, and this about Daffy is gorgeous. Well done for rearing her to a point where she was able to have 9 ducklings.

I am not confident my 2 little rescues will have survived the night, but they certainly wouldn't have done if we had left them where they were, so fingers crossed.

Hope everyone has a reasonable day.  Enjoy your preparations Caroline.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.