Author Topic: No DNA shared matches  (Read 490 times)

Offline Heb66

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
No DNA shared matches
« on: Monday 01 June 20 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

A friend has a shared match of 152cm with no other shared matches with this person.
Obviously it means that no other shared ancestor has undertaken a test.
Would it also mean that a shared surname may be really uncommon or few family from that line ?
I have traced the matched tree back to all sets of great-grand parents and their siblings to find a connection.

Any other theories ?

Many thanks and stay safe
Payne, Woodchester Glos / Kings Norton Worcs.
Luker, Glos.
Davis, Smith, Evans, Lockstone,Latham, Kings Stanley.
Bingham; Stroud, Glos.
Gore: Glos/ Plymouth.
Rodway: Woodchester, Glos. Wanted Henry Rodway born 1849. Missing since 1881.
Morgan: Nettleton Wilts / Stroud Glos.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: No DNA shared matches
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 June 20 16:45 BST (UK) »
You can enter the 152 cM figure into this tool at DNAPainter (free) to see the likely relatioinshops to the match.

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

"Obviously it means that no other shared ancestor has undertaken a test. "

Not Necessarily. Someone with a common ancestor of your friend and the match may have tested but just inherited different parts of the DNA - its all random. Also it depends on what site you are using i.e. a smaller site less chance of a match or a larger site more chance of a match but is the information as good eg. do they have a chromosome browser.

"Would it also mean that a shared surname may be really uncommon or few family from that line ?"

no you cannot conclude that. for example I have some rare surnames in my tree yet I have DNA matches with them but some of the more popular surnames no matches yet. Its all a lottery on who tests.

"I have traced the matched tree back to all sets of great-grand parents and their siblings to find a connection."

An immediate thought is that there is either a marriage (and offspring) that you do not know about or an affair with offspring unknown to you. I had a match for a couple of years that I could not sort out. It was only resolved when the match contacted me and told me of the second marriage of his grandmother (my great aunt) from whom he was descended.

hope that helps

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: No DNA shared matches
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 June 20 17:04 BST (UK) »
If it was with Ancestry, it might mean that your shared matches share less than 20cMs with either or both of you.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***