Author Topic: Elinor Croft, bap. 1689 Hope-under-Dinmore  (Read 1005 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Elinor Croft, bap. 1689 Hope-under-Dinmore
« on: Monday 01 June 20 17:21 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information about the parents of my ancestor Elinor (or Eleanor) Croft, baptised in Hope-under-Dinmore on 21 November 1689. FamilySearch and Ancestry state her parents are Elizabeth and Humphrey Croft, and yet I cannot find any other children born to parents with this name combination. Moreover, I cannot find anything (death, marriage, will...) regarding Humphrey Croft. I've tried several spelling alternatives, to no avail.

I wonder if Humphrey's name may be mistaken (I haven't seen an image of the original record). For instance, there is a Margaret Croft bap 1683 in Eardisland to Herbert and Elizabeth Croft - might they be the same parents of Elinor?

Any help would much appreciated! ;D
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Elinor Croft, bap. 1689 Hope-under-Dinmore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 08:26 BST (UK) »
It does look as though you will need to see a copy of the register. Both Ancestry & F M P  have transcripts but they are both sourced from familysearch so are identical being only one persons transcription of what it says
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 19:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. I will get in touch with Herefordshire Archives to see if they can send me an image of the original, and in the process, see if they can dig out a marriage record for Humphrey and Elizabeth.

Garstonite, sorry if I'm being a bit thick but I checked the link and (possibly because I don't have access to Geneanet) I wasn't able to see the details beyond Humphrey husband of Elizabeth (Hope-under-Dinmore) and Humphrey husband of Jane (Kidderminster). Do either of these two records include details of a daughter called Elizabeth? If so, are you able to see the place and date of baptism?

Thank you!
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 07:31 BST (UK) »
No Cimbrio - you are not thick - www.geneanet.org is a strange site - there are thousands of family trees on there free to view - but some Parish records are pay per view - unluckily for you that Elizabeth birth in Hope under Dinmore - father Humphrey - is a pay per view - so I cannot get the details for you - but at least you know there IS a possible sister to Elinor - maybe another member who has credit can have a look for you - fingers crossed  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 14:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Garstonite  ;D Someone with full access had a look, and it's basically the same data (and no image) as on Ancestry, FindMyPast and FamilySearch. And again, it's daughter Elinor's baptism - Elizabeth being the mother - not for a sister called Elizabeth. So it's back to square one. I've e-mailed Herefordshire Archives in the hope that they might send me a digital copy of the baptism. I've also asked them if they can look up a possible marriage for Humphrey and Elizabeth, although the Herefordshire FHS Marriages index (pre 1837) that I have does not appear to list a marriage between an Elizabeth X and a Humphrey Croft, no matter how creative I am with the spelling. Talk about a brick wall...!