Author Topic: Looking for a soldier ww2 Albert Smith farmers lad from Nottinghamshire  (Read 280 times)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Hi, I am trying to locate information about the ww2 service history of an Uncle of mine. His name was Albert Smith

Birth Sept 1921
SMITH Albert   Mother Sara Ann Isaac.   Father John Thomas Smith     Southwell  7b   925/

My father told me that Albert served in Burma he was attached to the Mule transport division?  I have tried to locate him but without a regiment it is difficult especially with a name like Smith.

Perhaps someone may know what regiment he was probably serving with, he was an agricultural labourer working with horses before he was enlisted.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards Patricia
Keep safe..
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a soldier ww2 Albert Smith farmers lad from Nottinghamshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 June 20 18:03 BST (UK) »
From the little bit I know about the Mule Transport Division I think he will have hated practically every minute of it, it is not easy to get a mule through such bad terrain.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 June 20 18:57 BST (UK) »
WW2 Service Records are still with the MOD, and ONLY available from them ;D

See: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
Please note you will need a copy of the death certificate, and EITHER Date of Birth OR Regimental Service No.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 June 20 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for quick responses, I'm sure Uncle Albert hated it he came back a physical and nervous wreck. No counselling for returning soldiers in those days..

I shall  log onto the website and see how I get on, as I said I have no idea of his regiment but may be able to work on his date of birth..

Thanks to you both... Regards Patricia
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.