Author Topic: Diary - Monday, 1 June 2020  (Read 1127 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Monday, 1 June 2020
« on: Monday 01 June 20 19:20 BST (UK) »
Diary:

Well, this morning turned out to be a right fiasco in getting home after nightshift.  I had called in to M & S to buy a few items and had then gone to my bus stand and boarded the bus as usual.  I was really tired and sort of drifted off en route.  (I can tell from your posts mowsehowse, that you have 'been there and done that' as you say and do understand how 'wiped out' it is possible to get in this type of work).

At one point, I opened my eyes and saw a place sign.  It was for the area of Northumberland where my Dad had been born.  Initially, feeling a bit befuddled I wondered why I had never noticed this sign/place on the way home before.  Then we passed the place where Dad's family had moved to and where he had grown up.  Suddenly, I was very wide awake realising that something had gone terribly wrong.  I rang the bell and spoke to the driver. 

The upshot of the situation was this - I was on the wrong bus on an entirely different route!!  Unbeknownst to me the bus times have changed and although the bus I need is still only running once an hour it now departs from the bus station at an entirely different time.  The bus driver was sympathetic when I showed him my staff badge and related my situation.  He explained to me  that I would have to travel  further again to get a bus back.  When I did get off at a totally unfamiliar area I explained my situation to another waiting bus driver who was also very sympathetic about the situation and helped me to work out the best way to journey home from there.  Another, lady at the bus stop was also forthcoming with advise.  Don't have any coffee when you get in, have something to eat, a drink of tea .. less caffeine and then get your head down for an hour, she said.  I will need more than an hour, I have been working all night and have to work 12 hours starting early tonight I told her.  She was quite bright and breezy telling me not to worry and that I would get home eventually and would be fine after an hour's kip.  I decided to just let it go about the 'hour'.  I would have to not go in at all in such a case, I know I could not do my job with that minimal amount of sleep.  I am human not a machine but I know she means well.   However, I am not too worried as I think I should be still be able to have a few hours sleep; less than I had hoped but still sufficient.  So this morning it ended up that I had to get four buses home instead of my usual two.😕

Once, I got home I had a quick breakfast and fell asleep straightaway.  Woke up with a stotting headache but painkillers and something to eat and drink helped sort things out.  Normally, I would forego a drink at this time because there are no public toilets open still on my commute.  However, I decide to take the risk in having this one drink this time in order to help deal with my headache.  This is one day I won't forget in a hurry. 😣At least, once I have got through tonight I have later start times on the rest of this block.  So I should get more sleep hopefully through the day tomorrow.😴

I am now just at the bus station waiting for a second connection en route back to night shift.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Monday, 1 June 2020
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 June 20 20:20 BST (UK) »
Oh no, what a morning. 

I slept in this morning and didn't get up until 0720.  My older daughter moved up a year in school and is flooded with work even more than she was last week.  Younger one managed to get some work down with a shorter tantrum. 

Started cleaning the younger one's wardrobe out os more washing done today.  Lovely and sunny, too much to do to sit outside.  Had weird moment when someone from my family tree was quoted in the audio book I was listening to.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 June 20 22:56 BST (UK) »
Nice to hear from you RTL but oh dear, what a long drag for you to get home, you must have been totally exhausted by the time you got home. It'll be Tuesday when you read this so I hope things have worked out better for you and you get a good long sleep after your shift.

PharmaT, I hope your children manage to settle down with their school work and you can get some rest too.

Diary:

Slept very heavily last night and had to drag myself awake, was still feeling down despite getting things off my chest yesterday. Couldn't be bothered getting up properly, took cup of tea back to bed twice, watched a bit of This Morning, manicured my nails. Eventually got myself up and dressed to go off for my walk, just about to leave when I got a message from my friend asking if we were still on for our beach walk this afternoon, I confirmed yes and we arranged to meet at 4pm when the tide would be out.

It was very quiet on the field today, not sure how many of the children have gone back to school but there weren't any around. Had a lengthier walk through the woods but I still felt agitated. Back home for lunch, had no appetite. Got a message from a friend who has her own business, she's reopening her shop in two weeks but not hopeful of much business.

Got my garden chair out, that seemed to be a signal to NNN to start messing about on the dividing fence , she'd had all morning to get on with it. She'd mentioned yesterday that she had some boards to put up (bring it on!), I think that's what she was doing but heaven knows what she was using to fasten them on. She always makes sure I know she's there, singing bits of the background music. Tried to ignore her, turned my chair around and read but felt like turning the garden hose on her! It was soooo hot on my patio, could have done with moving down the garden but wanted to stay out of any possible eyeline.

Came in later and had a shower, clean clothes. By this time I was fighting off a panic attack, partly due to the NNN and partly because I was about to go out properly for the first time in ten weeks. Got in the car feeling as if I'd get there and there would be a big crowd all laughing and shouting April Fool! Of course there wasn't. Got parked okay, texted my friend to tell her I was there and she arrived in a couple of minutes. I got quite tearful when I saw her, she wanted to hug me but of course we couldn't. There were people about but no-one too close, we walked along to the slipway and down to the beach, a great expanse of sand, we had a lovely walk for about an hour then turned back, so a two hour walk. I was so grateful to my friend, I felt so much better and calmer having been out and particularly with a friend to chat to face to face.  Came back with a spring in my step (as well as sand!).

Well tomorrow is forecast lovely but the weather after that is forecast to turn much cooler with heavy rain. Never mind, I'll get some housework done and maybe some painting.

Watched Long Lost Family Special tonight, goodness me it was so heart rending. Off for a soak in the bath, hope everyone has had a good day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 June 20 23:48 BST (UK) »
RTL - nice to see you back on here again...
Oh dear what a dreadful situation you found yourself in and after a long tiring shift too ...
Hopefully now you know the new timetable you'll be able to get home without any hickups and have a good long sleep...
Considering all you go through you stay remarkably cheerful which I take my hat off to you.
Good luck with your home journey in the morning..

Pharma - It must be hard work trying to sort out your two girls and work in the job you do but I'm sure once they settle back it will be a bit easier for you all.

Roobarb- I'm really pleased to hear that meeting up with your friend for a nice long walk and chat did you good, as I felt it would... im sure being in isolation as you have been for all these weeks isn't easy and can understand how you felt getting in the car to drive for the first time...
Hopefully now you'll start to feel better and ignore NNN if you are able to.

My diary for today..

Another lovely sunny hot day...
Washing out on the line nice and early
Sat outside with rest of Sunday papers and breakfast..
Had a wander down the village to the post box and drop lottery money through Saturday's winner letterbox ( village lottery that is)...
Cleaned the kitchen ...
Several phone calls ...
OH spent over half the morning trying to sort out some online transactions and getting more hot under the collar as time went on...
Had lunch outside... too hot to sit there for too long...
Had long chat on phone with SiL's mother who lives on her own, she'd spoken to them all yesterday and told me how excited boys were about coming up tomorrow!..... me too!
Spent rest of afternoon finishing last lot of scrubs and felt pleased when last one pressed and folded... got 10 sets to give coordinator tomorrow morning... meeting her at 8.50am 😱
Dinner tonight was just things from the freezer as it was getting late and wanted shower and hair wash... . OH was mowing lawn...
Sat watched some tv.. Gogglebox and Blacklist...
Looking forward to tomorrow very much...

Hope everyone's else's days will be better too

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 10:45 BST (UK) »
Well Roobarb.... so glad that walk with Friend went well.

Pharma, thanks for your help. Turns out the contact IS a distant cousin, but with whom I have been in touch for a couple of years, so nothing new and a slight disappointment!

Oooooh RTL, my heart goes out to you, and I do so understand. You reminded me of the time while living in Wales; I staggered out of the building after a 12 hour night shift to discover there was deep snow!  A police car was just passing by and I followed them hoping that would be less slippery. Suddenly I realised we had arrived at the bridge in the centre of Newport, and I had no clue how I got there or how to get back to where I needed to be.  The brain just will not work early in the morning after no sleep!
Thank goodness the bus drivers were sympathetic to you RTL.

Yesterday all much the same as usual, but my son returned my missed calls from the w/e, and I had a little video chat with him and gorgeous oldest grand daughter which was nice. Canny lad calls me when his battery is almost flat, but I am grateful for even that much.

During evening walk saw a duck with 8 ducklings on the pond. They came right up to my feet and were delightful to watch for a while.  No sign of any mum with only 2 little ones, but perhaps they were hiding on the island.

That's about as exciting as it gets. Sorry.

Anybody who fancies a riddle.... what 9 letter word can make 8 new words each time a letter is removed and discarded.

Have a great day Caroline!  :D

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
I am getting really lazy, Manana, always tomorrow!
Put lighter duvet on last night,I know this heatwave is going to change but
I can add a nice cosy soft cellular blanket.
Well no sleep- can only think that as my hands and feet are permanently
icy cold the cramp in both feet was as a result of cooler duvet.
I was not cold generally.
It is a flippin’ good job the gout has subsided!
My toes had minds of their own!

What a difficult journey anyway and then for the bus to be changed!
Gosh that is actually dangerous.
Hope it goes better today .

I am staying at home because I feel the stupidity exhibited over the weekend may have been at a high price.
We will know in about ten days, and I will be over the moon if I am wrong.

Will we get the correct figures today?
A few hundred out yesterday seemingly.

Well one load of washing dry by the time the next is ready to be hung up.
A nice drying breeze and most won’t need ironing.
Had four little strawberries off my woodland plant, such an intense flavour ,
Many more still green .
We used to pick and eat them unwashed when Inwas a child.
They grew in profusion in a building that had formerly housed a compressor.
Part of the ventilation system of a lead mine .
Our playground was mainly in disused buildings like Cornish Engine houses .
The compressor had two huge blocks as big as double decker buses .
The shaft of the beam engine went back and forth between the blocks to which the retainers were bolted .
The little strawberries grew in the moss on the damp floor .
We jumped from one block to the other ,they seemed so high to us who were from five to ten year olds .
Had creamed mushrooms on toast for lunch so a tea  of , Boursin cheese, olives, celery, apple, grapes,Ryvita,  and plain yogurt for dessert, ought to have saved the tiny strawberries for with that.Got a banana .
Hope everyone is alright, difficult neighbours notwithstanding.
I wish sometimes I was really bolshie,someone who gives off “ Don’t mess with me mate!”
But then a nice box with tea for one would not  have been given to me by a neighbour.
I thought about that and as people are still ordering and getting cakes and pies etc from our local farm shop ,I was being paranoid!
I have not really fretted about anything else ,it was more that the kind neighbour had not been social distancing throughout.
Cheerio folks.
Washer has finished so out pegging out again.
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 20:47 BST (UK) »
It does sound like children are quite overloaded with work these days PharmaT.  I hope it is not too stressful for your daughter having all that work to do.
That must have been quite a surprise PharmaT to hear your ancestor quoted on audio.  I am guessing they must have been a notable person in some way.

Oh Roobarb, I am so glad to hear the walk with your friend was enjoyable and has given you a spring in your step.  I think you deserve a break from stress.
Regarding the neighbour I do understand from a recent post that too much has gone on and that you have tried but now won't be trying anymore.  Quite understandable under the circumstances, I think.

Gosh Caroline, you have been working hard on the scrubs - ten sets!  Do they give you the material to use?  What people like you are doing makes me feel that this whole situation hasn't been all bad.  The uplifting things I will remember from all this will be the rainbows, the clapping, the humour on RootsChat, and the way many people have come together to help each other, as you are doing with all your sewing.

Victoria, glad to hear that the gout has subsided.  It just makes you wonder how our ancestors tolerated things before the wonders of modern medicine. 

I managed to get the right bus home this morning (Tuesday now) by the way.  And as far as I know I am on the right bus en route to Newcastle now. ;)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 22:42 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear your journey has been more successful RTL  and you're ry kind with your words of support...
 altold I've managed to make 20 sets so feel very pleased to have made my contribution however small and will continue to do so now under the Butterfly Legacy Project which will be ongoing. Prior to this it was ipunder the banner of For the love of scrubs.
 Next I'm going to be making proper hospital scrubs . The ones I've been currently doing have used duvet covers, sheeting and fancy patterned fabrics,.. great fun and apparently well received.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 21:02 BST (UK) »
That is incredible that you have made so much.  I will have to google the Butterfly Legacy Project you have mentioned.

Have you seen the colourful scrubs in the news on this link?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/06/nurses-bring-cheer-patients-wearing-jazzy-scubs-made-bedding-12661559/