Author Topic: Help needed tracking marriage record William John McComb  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Jnalson209

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed tracking marriage record William John McComb
« on: Monday 01 June 20 20:43 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find a marriage certificate for a William John McComb married to Eliza ?

I can access Eliza McCombe death certificate in 1881 and her will on proni. She left her husband W.J. McCombe £123. Which is obviously a lot of money so I was gathering she could have been a widow. She died by suicide.

Eliza appeared to be a lot older than WJ as it has her aged 40 on death certificate.

WJ McComb remarried in 1882 to an Agnes Bain (Bean) and then again in 1897 to a Catherine MCardle (Mccarroll).

I know WJ McComb was a Presbyterian who attended Ballylane Reformed church most of his life.

WJ father was called David but again cant find any records of WJ birth.

Any help or suggestions on where to search,  feel like I've exhausted everywhere at the moment.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed tracking marriage record
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 11:08 BST (UK) »
Civil registration for births and deaths didn't begin until 1864 so you won't find a birth record for him -- you would be looking for a baptism if those records exist.  Civil marriage records began in 1845.  One of the witnesses on WJ's marriage to Agnes Bean was a Margaret McCombe -- perhaps a sister, his mother, ???

There is a marriage in 1870 for a Jane Glassy (widow, daughter of David McComb, a weaver) in Portadown to William McGladdery, a widower.

Offline Jnalson209

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 11:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you, will look into that. Margaret McComb was his sister, she also witnessed his 3rd marriage.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 11:17 BST (UK) »
On Wm's 2nd marriage, it says he's from the Parish of Loughgilly.  Griffiths Valuation taken in about 1864 in Co. Armagh shows a David McComb in Keady More, Loughgilly which may be his father.

Offline Jnalson209

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 11:22 BST (UK) »
I'm thinking that might be him, as the other David's dont rely fit in.

However David doesnt appear on the 1901 census and I believe he was deceased by then but cant find a death certificate.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 11:37 BST (UK) »
His land in Griffiths reverts to a ? Kernoghan in 1885 so he is likely deceased by then which fits with Wm's second marriage which refers to him as deceased.  There is a death for a David McComb in 1868, in Newry Registration District, aged 65 but the record is not available yet on Irishgenealogy.ie.  Perhaps it's on RootsIreland. Another one in 1866 aged 61 in Lurgan.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 13:34 BST (UK) »
There is a death for a David McComb in 1868, in Newry Registration District, aged 65 but the record is not available yet on Irishgenealogy.ie.  Perhaps it's on RootsIreland. Another one in 1866 aged 61 in Lurgan.
Looks like this might be the 1868 death- a little more detail in the extract. You can, of course, use credits to view the registration on GRONI site.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPTQ-SJMD

I can access Eliza McCombe death certificate in 1881 and her will on proni. She left her husband W.J. McCombe £123. Which is obviously a lot of money so I was gathering she could have been a widow. She died by suicide.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1881/06453/4854644.pdf
That is inaccurate.
Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Eliza M'Combe late of Lisdrumwhir County Armagh deceased who died 8 March 1881 at same place were granted at Armagh to William John M'Combe of Lisdrumwhir Farmer the Husband. Effects £123
Letters of Administration means she didn't leave a Will (or leave a valid Will in some cases although not this instance). Administration was granted to her husband to sort out the estate according to law. This is not the same as leaving everything to her husband in a Will.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jnalson209

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed tracking marriage record William John McComb
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 13:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I accessed the record via Proni but it states Rathfriland and widower which I believe he wasnt at this stage.

I found a Eliza McComb and Mary Jane McComb death certificate 17th April 1901 signed by a Catherine McComb (Lisdrumchor) stating daughter and sister in law. I believe Catherine was WJ McComb third wife.

However confused, as she has stated Eliza is the widow of a Robert McComb and not a David???

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed tracking marriage record William John McComb
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 14:05 BST (UK) »
Interesting that they died on the same day??  They are here it the 1901 census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Markethill/Crunagh/1017615/