Author Topic: General discussion on current situation 3  (Read 7647 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: General discussion on current situation 3
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 10:39 BST (UK) »
What a pity, oh what a pity ,that when given the chance by Wilson to leave
Europe it was not taken.
We,living abroad were not allowed to vote, we hoped and hoped the vote would be yes to leave.
Was there lack of information ,lack of interest, lack of understanding ?
Whatever , the remain vote  had it.
We had only seen the tip of the bureaucratic  iceberg nightmare , and still people fondly believe they were given a choice as to whether we joined or not.They mix the remain or not vote with a go in or stay out vote .
Which never happened.
Heath took us in without asking our consent .

In such a relatively small landmass ,with several ethnic groups , the outlying regions have always suffered .
Why should people in London “ The Great Wen”- decide what happens in a far away place, where almost everything is different ,and thereby destroy a way of life which has continued for centuries, pretty well ecologically balanced etc?
Why should regional accents and dialects be ridiculed ,they should be treasured !
I am fed up with “ darn sarff”, we should dig a trench right across the  N/S
divide  !
If they don’t understand us they can’t come in
You are made to feel you have committed a crime against Received  Pronunciation when you speak - even with your posh voice on!.
For people who have never lived on a Hebridean Island to be able to decide what happens there is madness .
Centralisation is a curse, a crime and controversial .
Doesn’t it seem madness that we can get to the moon yet a relatively short sea journey to the mainland is made so hard that the islands are being depopulated when there is a housing shortage and land shortage on the mainland ?
I can only see this simplistically ,but it seems obvious to a simple minded soul .
What a tragedy that an ecologically balanced way of life is gradually disappearing.

Viktoria.
P.S.
Mention of Galicia reminds me I have not listened to Julio Iglesias for a while.I need my regular “  fix”.
“ Un Canto a Galicia”.V.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 10:59 BST (UK) »
I was one of the people who voted in 1975 to remain in the EU. At the time we did not know what a bureaucratic nightmare and interfering body it would become so I was content to remain. I was only in my very early twenties then and probably foolish as well but I finally saw sense and in 2016 I am proud to say I made amends for my 1975 stupidity.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 11:28 BST (UK) »
I never cease to be amazed by the number of people who fell for all the lies told about the EU!
I don't buy, or read, national newspapers, do I didn't get to read all the garbage written by the Sin, Daily Fail, or Torygraph ;D ;D

Oh! And I lived in Europe for 16 years! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 11:38 BST (UK) »
Well I saw a side of it many would not have done.
Our neighbours were also English ,and her sister and brother came to live
in Gent.
They were to work in Brussels ,for the Common market!
They seemed to be on holiday every few weeks !
The pay was astronomical, lots of perks etc, can’t  remember fully but the term gravy train springs to mind.

Meanwhile prices had risen in England under the big con of decimalisation and continued to rise.
You saw it when you only went over every few months for a shopping trip to Dover for properly fitted children’s shoes etc.
People naively thought,well some did, that decimalisation of currency and measures etc were the main part! ::)of joining.
I remember a politician saying ,years before we joined that we would be able to get wine at 16/- a bottle, I shouted  at the radio,” fat lot of good that will be when the children need new shoes!”
What a con, and to be beholden to FRANCE!
Did Agincourt,  Crecy, Poitiers mean nothing?.
The Black Prince, Prince Hal etc will be spinning in their tombs .
Not forgetting. WW1 and WW2 .
De lGaulle did not by any means mean it as a kindly refusal ,but had
the idiots in Whitehall only realised it he was doing us a favour by his “NON”.
All water under the bridge now, but where are collapsing bridges when you need them most ?
( I am not sure what I mean to say by that  :-X)
 I am off to feed the fish ,listening to Classic FM then Julio Iglesias!
Viktoria.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 11:42 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, Crumblie and KGarrad - you are, of course, entitled to your own opinions. Just as we are entitled to ignore them. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia