Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 2nd June  (Read 574 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 2nd June
« on: Tuesday 02 June 20 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for good wishes on Monday, pleased to say today has been better.  :)

Hope everyone's day has gone well - Caroline, I bet you had a lovely time with your grandchildren!
Mowsehouse, I know the answer to your riddle, should I keep it to myself and let others have a go?
Viktoria, I don't think you could ever be called lazy!
RTL, glad you got the right bus today!

A lovely day again, a little bit overcast early on but the sun soon came out. It was very quiet on the field and in the woods, same as yesterday. Don't think it was the timing, I guess a lot of the children will have gone back to school and that will have affected the parents' routine too. I'm not complaining, it meant a better walk for me!

My friend was going shopping so texted her my list, not many things, I have a supermarket delivery coming at the weekend. Asked her for strawberries if the new season ones were in the shops.

Chair and Kindle out in the garden again, a bit cooler today. The sun was in and out and later in the afternoon it clouded over completely. Did a little bit of gardening. Very pleased to report nothing from NNN!  :D
A lot of rain forecast tomorrow, think it's sweeping across the country. It's time I got the hoover out anyway.

Came indoors and did some ironing, my friend arrived with groceries including strawberries and salmon.

Some TV after tea, another Long Lost Family Special, so heart rending again.

Look forward to hearing about everyone's day. :)

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 2nd June
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 23:18 BST (UK) »
So pleased to hear you're feeling better today Roobarb...it's surprising how something you'd only consider routine a few weeks ago can give you a real boost, great to hear...

My special day!

I woke early this morning having been unable to have a really good night... foxes woke me up in the early hours then I drifted in and out thinking about what the day ahead had  in store....
I was up and out by 8.30 to drop off my 10 sets of scrubs..
OH up by the time I got back and was in bread baking mode!
Next get out large decorators sheet to cover part of the lawn as he was worried about the boys on it after moss kill went down two weeks ago but only mowed twice since....
Last year bought paddling/ sand things from Argos and hadn't used... long story not for now!
Filled one with water other with 4 bags play sand....
Sanitise toilet, new towel etc ready for them to use...
Felt quite on edge about them coming mixed with excitement as we've not seen them since 11th Feb!
They arrived about 11.45...
back gate open for them
Daughter took one look at us and burst into tears at which point I did too... silly but we so wanted to have a hug...
boys just looked at the pair of us as if to say get over it you can't!
It was soooo lovely to see them
 first inspecting Grandpas vegs and making comments about the size of his potato plants, beans, tomatoes etc!
OH went into shed and youngest one said... ' I usually come in with you but today you'll have to come out before I can go in.... bless him!
Next was inspection of sand pit and water!
Lunch, they all enjoyed Grandpas bread and were very complimentary!
They had a lovely play with the plastic skittles, golf clubs, frisbee, football etc!
Decided they were hot so into swimmers and goggles??? Into the water...
I'd bought an octopus you attached to the hose and the tentacles sprayed out water which they thought was hilarious!
Went down to playing field where they could throw the boomerang without causing anyone any trouble and we spent an hour down there...
BBQ for dinner, enjoyed by all and after some more games it was nearly 7.15 so time for them to leave....
More tears from daughter and me, boys did air hugs and blown kisses and off they went...
What a lovely day it was we all enjoyed it and I think did us all the world of good....
We collapsed with a glass of wine and they were home by 9.15 safe and sound...
It seemed so strange for something that's so normal usually to be at such odds...
They were disappointed not to come and look at my newly decorated workroom or be able to come inside... it didn't feel like having your own family in your home as they had to stay outside all the time, apart from using the toilet!

Hope others days have been good too.... this will keep me going for ages... when they'd gone I realised I'd not taken a single picture on my phone...😢

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 08:46 BST (UK) »
How lovely, Caroline.... it does feel so strange not to hug doesn't it, but it sounds like you all had a wonderful time even so. Shame about photos.... perhaps your daughter did?

Roobarb, not sure if anyone else has bothered with, (or had time for,) the riddle. How about you PM me your answer, though there are a few different ones I believe. Well done BTW, and I'm glad you had a better day.

We went on a trip!!! 3 miles down the road, to Cockington Village and Court. (It's worth googling if you don't know it.)

We parked in Torquay and walked down the lane through ancient woodland to the village which is thatched and SO quaint. The forge was working until quite recently. No shops open yet and no coaches, so very tranquil, and good for the soul. Birds singing, grey wagtails by the mill pond. 

The Court is an old manor house in vast grounds and has its own ancient chapel, still both shut of course, but the rose garden was looking wonderful and there is a tiny pony in the stables where swallows have nested. 

After that we walked around the lakes back down to through the village and back up the shady lane to where the car was parked. 

It was a wonderful break from the ordinary; most years we visit 3 or 4 times in spring and summer.  Perhaps we will go again soon before the crowds start piling in again.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 09:24 BST (UK) »
I visited Cocklington with my brother who lives in Teignmouth, it is a really nice place, I do believe we had a delicious cream tea there, sadly I don't think we will be getting to Devon unless we have a coach holiday and my brother isn't able to drive to me either

Take care

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 09:38 BST (UK) »
When the restrictions are lifted, if you manage to visit your brother Louisa I am sure you can go on public transport from Teignmouth.  ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 10:02 BST (UK) »
I am sure I can and will, we live 240 miles away and that is the problem at the moment, last time we did it in 2 stages and stopped off halfway, I must try to see my twin brother though

Teignmouth is also a lovely place to live, my brother lives right on the sea front

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 11:08 BST (UK) »
LM watch the numbers, and go as soon as you can when they are falling, just in case the prediction for another wave in a few weeks turns out to be correct. :-\

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 12:38 BST (UK) »
Well a panicked wakening as I realised that I had forgotten to put the bin out the night before.  luckily it was before the binmen came round.

Lots more washing done with clearing out the girls wardrobes and cleaned the hard floors.  Still haven't got the garden finished.  Tried to order pain but B&Q still soled out and Amazon wanted 4x the normal price so it will have to wait.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
Caroline, what a lovely day for you all, you describe things so well, I can almost see your smiles.  :) Plenty of happy memories despite forgetting the photos, they'll be there in your head.

Mowsehouse, I misread your riddle so I'm afraid I don't know the answer.  :-[ Ignore me, I think my brain is going rusty! Lovely to hear about your trip to Cockington, it sounds beautiful. I have a memory from way back in my childhood of a postcard with a picture of Cockington Forge, no idea why I remember that all these years later! Must have made an impression on me.

Louisa Maud, I hope you manage to visit your brother in the not too distant future in beautiful Devon.

PharmaT, you do push yourself hard, maybe the lack of paint is fate telling you to take a break, although from your posts I think that's unlikely to happen. Do try to be kind to yourself as well as all the others you're looking after.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales