Author Topic: Hermes Delivery Problems  (Read 1618 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hermes Delivery Problems
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
The only delivery problem I have had was with Royal Mail. 
I ordered some plant plugs and other bits from a large online seed/plant retailer in March most of which arrived as expected.  I just had one problem, a pack of postbox plugs which were for despatch by the end of March but not posted until 16th April and still have not arrived.  They finally sent a replacement on 15th May which arrived on 29th May, needless to say they were dead/rotted away.

The supplier was not really much help either as there were delays in getting it sorted and despatched.  What really irritates is the daily email I get from the supplier telling me about all their new offers, I can't block them at the moment as I am waiting for correspondence about getting my money back.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 15:17 BST (UK) »
Have had no real problems with Hermes deliveries.

That is: once the goods arrive on the island!
Hermes tracking always tells mt that "my parcel is with their local office" - they mean it's at Preston ::)

Still some way short of the Isle of Man! ;D ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
Just heard back from Lakeland.

An excerpt:

'm getting in touch about your recent order.

I've contacted the courier company about the delivery - I'm still waiting for a reply, this is taking a little longer than normal under the current circumstances.

I've therefore arranged for a replacement parcel to be send on our express service - your goods will be with you tomorrow.

If the original order arrives please refuse delivery of the second order parcel

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 June 20 20:37 BST (UK) »
The presenter on the local radio station this morning specifically mentioned this particular delivery company. He was shocked that there had been an auction in a large town (I think it might have been Manchester but not sure), all were parcels that should have been delivered or returned to the supplier but had been marked as undeliverable, even though addresses were clearly visible.
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 June 20 09:24 BST (UK) »
We used to have problems with Hermes a couple of years back. Parcels been thrown over the back fence.

Then a new Hermes delivery driver must have taken on our local area. He's an older chap, very polite and well presented. We haven't had any problems with Hermes since.

It still doesn't stop me from being a bit bothered when I see an order or other has been "dispatched by Hermes".

I suppose it all boils down to the local driver.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 05 June 20 09:31 BST (UK) »
The (new) parcel has just arrived.

It's on the doorstep in the sun, waiting to be de-contaminated - just in case. You just never know where it's been!

:D

Added at 14.00 - I've got another parcel  ??? ??? ???
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 June 20 10:17 BST (UK) »
I have never had a problem with Hermes . Great service, great drivers.
According to my neighbours the worst company is Amazon. They throw parcels over hedges or leave them out in the open, so often damaged.
Even though I am listed to accept delivery because neighbours work, only the occasional time will the driver come to my door.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 June 20 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hermes is the only delivery service that I've had problems with. The others have all been fine.

It must be dependent on the local drivers, as Trystan has said. He had a poor one and now he's got a good one.

Hermes, though, has a very bad rating on most of the comparative delivery performance sites that I've looked at.

add - here's one at random

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/dpd-and-collectplus-voted-top-parcel-delivery-firms--while-ipost/

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 05 June 20 19:15 BST (UK) »
It depends on your local driver, I had terrible trouble with Hermes and avoid them if at all possible, but then I avoid any online shopping it I can, I also had awful trouble with something from Amazon delivered by RM.

In fairness to the delivery drivers they are often given almost impossible schedules to try and keep to.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)