Author Topic: Fergusson/Norrie/Forbes  (Read 314 times)

Offline borschy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fergusson/Norrie/Forbes
« on: Wednesday 03 June 20 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am looking for any info on my ancestors George M Fergusson (b 1829) who married Mary Norrie-Forbes in Dundee I believe in 1857.
Mary`s parents were John Norrie and Jane Forbes but I have no info on them whatsoever.

I know George and Mary had a daughter Mary also in 1863.

Thanks for any assistance,

Craig

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Fergusson/Norrie/Forbes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 14:14 BST (UK) »
Mary`s parents were John Norrie and Jane Forbes but I have no info on them whatsoever.

who married Mary Norrie-Forbes

If her parents were married - would she not have been Mary Forbes Norrie?  Possibility she was illegitimate??

Where was Mary born?  Have you found her on the 1841 census?  Have you downloaded a copy of the 1857 marriage cert from Scotlands People?  www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

No info given in your post re Mary's birthplace or birthdate but this entry is on Family Search - is it the right person?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XB8M-PLF

Where was George born?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Fergusson/Norrie/Forbes
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 14:28 BST (UK) »
Have you been looking at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?

George Moyse Fergusson married Mary Norrie Forbes in Dundee on 30 December 1857.

It looks as if George and Mary had five children
Thomas, born 28 September 1858
George, born 9 April 1860
Mary Mill, born 3 March 1862
Henry Balfour, born 14 July 1863
Elizabeth Cargill, born 1 June 1866

George Fergusson died in Dundee in 1904, aged 75.
Mary Norrie Forbes or Ferguson died in Dundee in 1907, aged 80.

You can view the marriage certificate, birth certificates and death certificates on the Scotland's People web site. It's pay-per-view, but modestly priced compared with many similar sites in other countries.

The marriage certificate will tell you the full names of their parents, including their mothers' maiden surnames.

Mary's surname is sometimes given as Norrie and sometimes as Forbes in the children's birth indexes on the IGI. This suggests to me that she may have been illegitimate. The marriage certificate may clarify that.

George Moys Fergusson, son of David Fergusson and Elizabeth Black, was baptised in Dundee on 8 February 1829.

They're in the 1881 census in Lochee: George, 52, engineer at sea; Mary, 54; George, 20; Mary, 19; Henry, 17; Lizzie, 14. All born Dundee except Mary sr who was born in Lundie.

Mary Norrie, daughter of John Norrie and Jean Forbes, was baptised in Lundie and Fowlis on 22 March 1827.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.