Author Topic: Fernando Cohen Born Circa 1857 Cuba  (Read 3021 times)

Offline LCohen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fernando Cohen Born Circa 1857 Cuba
« on: Wednesday 03 June 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I’m trying to find out about my great-grandfather Fernando Cohen born 1857 Cuba, his father Reuben Zaleg Felipe (Philip) Cohen (1810-1881) born Swansea, Wales died in Jamaica. Fernando’s grandparents were Jacob and Catherine Cohen residents of Swansea, Wales both born 1773. Both probably are or have German ancestry.

Fernando Cohen’s known children (place of birth Jamaica though some may have been born in Cuba): Cecil Augustus Cohen, Theophilus Cohen, Ethlyn Maud Cohen, Alice Constance Cohen, Anita Cohen or Anitta Cohen, Beatrice Cohen, Alexandrina Cohen.

Cecil Augustus Cohen was my grandfather.

Apocrypha states Fernando Cohen had 32 children.

Fernando Cohen’s known siblings: Francisco Cohen died 1901 in Panama, Elvira Cohen, Jose Cohen, Florencio Cohen.

Fernando Cohen’s aunt Harriet Cohen (1801 - 1889) married David I Cohen of the finance and banking Cohens of Maryland, Baltimore on the 7th of July 1830 in Swansea, Wales. David I Cohen founded the Baltimore Stock Exchange. I’m working on a hunch that Harriet Cohen and David I Cohen may have been related I have found no evidence to support this though. 

Reuben Zaleg Felipe (Philip) Cohen immigrated to the US boarding the passenger ship Achilles on the 18th of July 1831 from Bristol, England to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. Thereafter he can be found in Cuba and Jamaica. I have also found evidence that the Cohens were in Panama, both the Swansea and Baltimore branches.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Leonard

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Fernando Cohen Born Circa 1857 Cuba
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Leonard

Not sure if you have this information already, but I lost the Glamorgan post and did a search to find this post, which is probably the best place for rmy reply.

I found a reference to Fernando Cohen, in relation to the "Application to bring lands under registration of titles law 21 0f 1888".

It was a notice published so that people in adjoining lands could basically object if they felt they had claims to the land that was being registered.

The people submitting the registration on 14 Jun 1906 were:
Maria Antonia Vidal, Gentlewoman; Fernando Cohen, planter; Elvira Rodriguez (formerly Elvira Cohen) widow, respectively of Linstead, in the Praish of St Catherine, Jose Cohen of Colon, in the republic of Panama and Cecilia Heraux (formerly Cecilia Cohen) the wife of the Hon. Dr. Edmond Heraux of Port-au-Prince, in the republic of Hayti.

The land was described as:

"The five sevenths of all that parcel of land, part of Wakefield plantation, known as "Cambrian" situate in St.Thomas-in-the-vale district in the parish of St.Catherine, containing by survey, 421 1/4 acres, and butting and bounding as appear in the plan or diagram thereof dated the 4th of November 1905, and lodged with the application.

Ad was to be placed in the Daily Gleaner - one ad per week and 2 ads in the Jamaica Gazette, after whcih time unless objections were received, the "caveat may be entered" and bring the said lands under teh operation of the said law.

In the Kingston Gleaner 14 June 1906, p12

Offline LCohen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 19:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Sam, we had some of the information but not as detailed a this I'm gonna call my cousin and let her know.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 19:56 BST (UK) »
Deaths
Fransisco Cohen , brother of Fernando Cohen of Cambrian, Linstead. The sad event ocurred at Bobio, Colon, Colombia on the 9th last.
Cuban and Colombian Papers please copy.

In Kingston Gleaner 29 May 1901, p2, co.6

Offline LCohen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 20:02 BST (UK) »
His cousin Margaret also died in Panama.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 20:09 BST (UK) »
There is a difference in the name of the pserson reported to have died in Colon - on the last post I made, the May 29th report it said it was Fransisco who'd died, however in the Kingston Gleaner 30 May 1901, it says the person who died was Florencino brother of Fernando.

Offline LCohen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 20:20 BST (UK) »
We had the deceased brother as Francisco Cohen, again this information is from The Daily Gleaner and  only a single short entrance. We're doing an extensive search within the Gleaners pages hopefully we can clear this up. Haven't found a connection between the deaths of Francisco Cohen and Margaret Cohen. Looks like they died a year apart in the same country I wonder if they had an estate out there?

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 20:27 BST (UK) »
You may also ghave this :
Kingston Daily Gleaner 20 May 1905
Fernando puts Cambrian up for sale, intending to "leave these lands" Desrciption of the land and property which it says also has a shop and water pipes for irrigation.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 20:32 BST (UK) »
There's a piece about Margaret Cohen's will in which it describes the fact she leaves a portrait of her grandmother Catherine Cohen to her brother Mendes, money to grand nephew Alan Cohen son Alan M Cohen & money to several jewish causes & John Hopkins University.

Philadelphia Jewish Exponent 12 September 1902, p.11