Author Topic: Help with a parish name  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a parish name
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 15:55 BST (UK) »
  I was only away for half an hour and all these answers! So it looks as if Bandirran was an estate, in the parish of Kettins? I haven't studied the maps closely yet, but I will.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 15:59 BST (UK) »
  Thank you for finding the parish for me. I imagine my man was born in a cottage, not the mansion. I do love maps!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 16:00 BST (UK) »
If you compare the old map with the current map there are a number of newer dwellings. You can see some old ones still standing here:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pjj/

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 16:08 BST (UK) »
  I have just seen Newtyle just up the road from Kettins. A friend of my son's lives there!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 16:34 BST (UK) »
hi if you go to https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk then enter bandirran in the search box right hand side it brings up the following bandirran a populated place in the parish of collace there is also text items come up that may be of help cottages ect.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 17:05 BST (UK) »
  It says on that site that Kettins was a parish until 1975, so it seems it is now in Collace. So that is solved.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 18:49 BST (UK) »
Oh dear.

Bandirran is in a detached portion of the parish of Kettins, County of Angus, as shown on the first edition Ordnance Survey six-inch map, surveyed 1861-1862.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=56.46317&lon=-3.29477&layers=5&b=1
Next to it is a detached portion of the parish of Caputh.

There was a tidying up of a lot of these curious boundary anomalies in about 1890, and it would not surprise me if these outliers of Kettins and Caputh were attached to an adjacent parish at that time. Collace is the obvious parish for them to be attached to.

And indeed the one-inch map dated 1958 shows the Kettins and Caputh outliers at Bandirran as being in the parish of Collace. So does the first edition of the 1:25,000 map, published in 1976.

As for Kettins being a parish until 1975, this has nothing to do with the 'move' from Kettins to Collace, which had actually taken place over eight decades earlier. The fate that befell Kettins in 1975 also befell Collace and every other parish in the country. In 1975 there was a major reorganisation of local government, during which all the existing administrative areas were discontinued, and the boundaries were redrawn.

However it is not true to say that any parish was abolished, because even after the 1975 reorganisation, certain information was, and as far as I am aware still is, collected on the basis of the pre-existing post-1890 parish boundaries. I have in my possession, for instance, a complete set of the 1992 Register of Electors for the present district of Moray, and the lists in that document are prepared on the basis of the parish boundaries that existed before 1975 in those parts of the Morayshire and Banffshire that are now in the new version of Moray.

So both Kettins and Collace still exist, exactly as they did before 1975, using the boundaries which were drawn after the 1890-ish reorganisation. It's just that apart from the registers of electors, and possibly the rump of the valuations rolls, they are not actually used for any civil purpose now.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 21:22 BST (UK) »
  I think I have nearly got this right; on the map you put on, it says, Forfarshire, Kettins. So it is a detached bit of the county as well as the parish? Kettins proper is several miles away in Forfarshire.

Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire