Author Topic: Victoria marriage cert in 1875  (Read 955 times)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Victoria marriage cert in 1875
« on: Wednesday 03 June 20 16:52 BST (UK) »
Would a marriage cert in Victoria in 1875 detail grooms father/mother & whether they were deceased or not?

Thanks

John

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria marriage cert in 1875
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 22:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, and I am not sure  ;D

I do not have many Vic BDM certs, but one I do have is for a marriage in 1869.  I can see that the Vic BDM required both the bride and the groom to sign off on details about themselves and their parents:

Description
Residence Present ..............  Usual .........
Age ......
Rank or Profession .........
Condition .......................
If Widower {former Wife } deceased in .......................  {Children ....... Living ..... Dead ......}
If Widow {Former Husband.} (and same details as above)
Birth Place ...........
Parents' Names and Rank or Profession { Father ......................   Mother ................ (Maiden Surname)

So, Yes, the family history info about parents would be on the 1875 m.c.  BUT I am not sure if it would note that if they were no longer living.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369963.0
Details on ALL Certificates for Victoria
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html
http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 June 20 00:45 BST (UK) »

Would a marriage cert in Victoria in 1875 detail grooms father/mother & whether they were deceased or not?

Thanks

John

Hi,
I agree with JM.
It was a kind of 'option' as to whether that information was noted.
I have Victoria marriage certificates which do simply have the the letters 'dec' after the parental names, and others which do not, even in the case where it was known that such parents were dead.

And in any case, younger people in Australia at that time may have been apart from family for some while, perhaps lost touch, and be unsure of the  living/dead status. Communications were unreliable.

If your person of interest is known to have had parents in Australia at the time of the issuing of the certificate, there may be other research methods to establish the parental living/dead status.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 June 20 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies. I think I will approach a transcription agent to get details. The marriage I am interested in is of Harry Tanner Freeman to Mary Ann Stratton in 1875 ref 1590. Harry was born in Newport, Monmouthshire UK in  SQ 1842 as Henry Tanner. His father William Tanner dies 1843.He appears with his mother Harriet (nee' Hood c1816), sister Eliza Harriet and Aunt Elizabeth Hood in the 1851 UK census. The following is then known.

1. Harriet's sister  Elizabeth Hood marries Daniel William Freeman 16.6.1853 in Melbourne.
2. Harriet his mother is witness to her daughters death 3.5.1854 in Wandsworth, London.
3. No known trace of Harriet after 3.5.1854.
4. Harry Tanner Freeman marries Mary Ann Stratton. His name as Harry Tanner Freeman is established from his uncles will dated 1892.

At some point Henry Tanner/Harry Tanner Freeman travelled to Australia after 1851 census(possibly with his aunt Elizabeth whom I suspect "kind" of adopted him. He may have travelled as Tanner/Hood/Freeman - just don't know. But after marrying he went on to have 8 children and died in 1925-parents unknown.

The reason for ordering his marriage certificate is to try and establish if his mother Harriet is deceased by 1875 thus narrowing down timescales. I do not believe his mother re-married as the Will in 1892 records Harry as being the son of his LATE sister Harriet Tanner.
I have spent many hours/days possibly evens weeks trying to find Harriet but as to date no luck.

Thanks for listening and reading, keep safe,

John

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 June 20 10:39 BST (UK) »
Johnhood, you can order them online for $20, immediate download.

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 June 20 10:42 BST (UK) »
OK thanks for link. I will probably order in next 24 hours and let the outcome known.

John

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 June 20 11:46 BST (UK) »
Downloaded. Confirms parentage as William Tanner and Harriet Hood-sadly no details as to whether deceased or not, although I know father had died in 1843. One witness was his adoptive father William Freeman. The search for Harriet continues.

Thanks

John

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 June 20 11:56 BST (UK) »
Good to hear it worked and you got some of the information you were searching for John.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 June 20 14:41 BST (UK) »
Not having world membership of Anc* there's a record of a Henry Tanner on the Victoria Australia Assisted & Unassisted Passenger Lists 1839-1923. Can anyone give details please of this entry.

John