Author Topic: Victoria marriage cert in 1875  (Read 954 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria marriage cert in 1875
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 June 20 03:47 BST (UK) »
https://prov.vic.gov.au/

https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/passenger-records-and-immigration

No need to log in, no subs,  :)  Index entries:
133 results when searching for 'Henry Tanner'...   That's without searching for Hy Tanner  ;D  ;D

:)  eg :

:) Tanner, Henry per the Tudor, arriving June 1857.  Book 11A, page 66
 :) Tanner, Henry per the Lucy L Hale, arriving Feb 1858, Adult, ....

:) 1883/3151  Edward Lamb v Henry Tanner, Civil Case Files, Supreme Court of Vic.  VPRS267/p7  Unit 559, item 1883/3151

Various other Civil Case Files, Divorce files and Land Sales etc. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 June 20 04:06 BST (UK) »
Right,  more searching needed ...

Henry TANNER, wife & 1 child per the Tudor  (June 1857)
Henry aged 30, Farm labourer,  'own a/c' (the response under the heading Employers Names ....)

Henry TANNER per the Lucy H Hale (Feb 1858) .... this vessel was from San Francisco and this passenger was recorded as a Foreigner.  Others on same page were recorded as British.

John,  I am very NSW Centric, so Vic searching is not my forte.  sorry.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 June 20 06:52 BST (UK) »
From the marriage record, 1875....who is the other witness?

From death certificate for Harry...what do you see for "years in the colony"?

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 June 20 09:31 BST (UK) »
In the 1884 will of the husband of Eliza/Elizabeth (nee HOOD) -whom you have named in the marriage as Daniel William FREEMAN-, it is made clear that his name has been for many years, William FREEMAN

Likewise, his wife is Eliza FREEMAN, not Elizabeth .

Is this correct?

I do not see children to this couple, and you think that young Harry may have been adopted by them. Certainly the reference to him as FREEMAN in the will of the uncle you mention would suggest such an 'adoption'

In the will I have mentioned above, William  FREEMAN leaves all his estate to his wife Eliza FREEMAN.

When did she die?
Have you ever located a will from Eliza FREEEMAN?

It  may clarify a death period for Harriet if reference was made to  Harry at all. 

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 June 20 11:40 BST (UK) »
Sue and others, many thanks yet again for all your efforts. Over the course of the evening I wondered just how important some info is really needed. Again over many years you guys have supplied and answered many posts on my behalf and a very comprehensive HOOD tree has been compiled that can be evidenced. As you are aware this post was trying to narrow down Harriet's death period. I am as far as I can be sure she died between 1854-1861 yet UK records appear to indicate otherwise. To answer the last 2 posts.
1 The second witness to Harry Tanner Freeman's marriage was a Betsey Goule. She means nothing to me. I do not have Harry's death certificate and whilst it may indicate how long he had been in Australia this info will only be as good as the informant's knowledge-not sure I want to spend another $20.
2. Eliza/Elizabeth Hood c1812/3. No baptism ever found, however her birth in Bilston (as per 1851 census aged 38) fits in with her other siblings-William 1809-1892, Harriot died age 2y 7mths 1816. Twins- Henry & Edwin 1816 (Edwin died aged 1y6mths July 1817.

For years I never knew about Eliza until I purchased William's will.That led to me finding her eventually marrying and passing away in Victoria. Eliza & William did have a child- Edward Samuel Freeman born 1854 Bena ref 5205. Sadly he died the following year ref 4006. Eliza died on the 9th October 1896 aged 84. A trove archived newspaper report records her as the relic of the late William Freeman and the beloved aunt of T C Hood and Eliza Walker. T C Hood being the grandson of Samuel Hood 1806-1900 (Eliza's brother). Eliza Walker the daughter of Edward Brettel Hood 1821-1893 (Eliza's Brother)
The only time Eliza is ever referred too as Elizabeth is in the 1851 uk census.
I have not found or to be honest ever looked for a will for Eliza.

So in conclusion much is known about Eliza and her movements, marriage, death etc with good timescales of travel from UK to Victoria.
Again Harriet's 2 sons, Frederick Henry Tanner and Henry Tanner(Freeman). Their birth's, marriage's, children & deaths are all detailed.

Whilst for ALL of us a complete story of someone's life is great to have, sometimes one has to be realistic that is not always possible and be content with what you do have.
The journey on this has been real fun and I cannot thank everyone enough for their time and help.
I plan if you will forgive me to now put this one to bed and enjoy trying as and when I can to help other's in their pursuit in "unanswered" questions.

Regard's

John

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 June 20 09:05 BST (UK) »
" I do not have Harry's death certificate and whilst it may indicate how long he had been in Australia this info will only be as good as the informant's knowledge-not sure I want to spend another $20."

Just before you put everyone to bed, the Digger Index Vic deaths 1921-1985 has Harry's death entry as "Parents unknown"  ref no 10718 so if the informant didn't know this important information, they probably wouldn't know how long he had been in Victoria. So probably nothing gained by buying a certificate.
However, as a long term researcher, just tuck your family away for a while, you can always re visit them in a year or so!
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia